SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    **Update #2 page 3..Got another one**Picked up a Nissan Xterra...anything I need to look out for?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**Update #2 page 3..Got another one**Picked up a Nissan Xterra...anything I need to look out for? Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
Google the pink milkshake of death. Happened to my ‘08 at 108K miles.

So does replacing the radiator alone protect from this or do you have to also bypass the fluid?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have the 06 Pathfinder. You can bypass (there transmission cooler) but if you plan on towing or anything other than moderate on road driving, hot should just verify that it has a replacement radiator.

My was replaced in 2010, no issues with it.

Keep an eye on the serpentine tensioner. They are finicky, and will squeal bad when they go. Unfortunately, the stock ones last the best, I went through 4 aftermarket ones in 3 years before going to the dealer.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
You can put an external cooler on it or just replace the radiator.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34132 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had an 07 Off Road that was trouble free for 5 years and 70k miles till somebody totaled it for me. I’d buy another one in a minute if they made them. Good rig. I had a buddy that had an exterra and got the pink milkshake under warranty and Nissan was really crappy about the situation. Cost him a bunch of money.

Posts: 4781 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Marzy any particular brand radiator you recommend? Or just go OEM?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Find out when they’ve had the timing belt replaced. It’s inside and if it breaks...well, it can be bad and your motor toast. Replace it yourself if it hasn’t been already. Just sold our 2002 4wd XTerra to the neighbor. Has 260,000 miles on it and still running.

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Marzy any particular brand radiator you recommend? Or just go OEM?

In reality, I have over 100,000 on the lifetime Autozone radiator on mt Frontier.

The Nissan radiators had weak transmission coolers.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34132 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
**UPDATE**

Well the pink milkshake of death has struck. Thankfully the car had a 30 day warranty from the dealer. I took it to a Nissan specific mechanic and he think the coolant issue started about 10k miles ago by how the fluid looked. Replacing the tranny and radiator will cost about $4k. I’m not one to do it myself. The mechanic was amazed how well it ran with the tranny issues. So my options are to return the car and get my money back or take another xterra. They have an 05 S model in manual (so no tranny concerns) that was priced higher but they will give it to me for the same price. The only issue is that it has higher (miles 201k on the clock.) I like that it’s a manual. It’s actually in better shape (interior and exterior) then the one I bought. I plan on taking it to that same mechanic on Friday to have them look at it before I make a decision. Since I have 2 other vehicles I figure I will put 5k miles or less on it a year. So the question is how will long can I expect it to last past 201k. I will say that after having one for a few days I really like the xterra. The other option is to drop $12-15k and get a newer one with lower miles. Manuals are hard to find though.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I wanted a manual until I watched a video of someone pulling the tranny to change the clutch. I decided quickly that I wouldn't be doing that one myself either, so I might as well get an automatic.

I don't think I'd buy one with that many miles myself.

I have an '01 with 103k on it. Paid $5200 a couple years ago with 77k on it.

Posts: 21112 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I'd get my money back and find something different.

As far as the other SUV, 201K is a lot of miles. I would only consider it if I had all the receipts for work done to it over the years.

Also, I have to question the reputation of the dealership selling it with what was probably a known issue.

That's what I would do if it was my money on the table. Good luck.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4523 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Get your money back. And then watch as that car magically appears back on the lot in a few days, unfixed.

Now you know why it was such a killer deal. And why the last guy traded it in.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they got rid of it because it is to late.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I had a 2005 frontier with the pink shake at 80K. I was able to get it covered under an extended warranty. They replaced transmission and radiator. I should have had them replace hoses, but didn't.

I sold it at 252K miles. I thought it needed exhaust based on codes thrown about O2 sensors and horrid mileage. Camshaft position sensors resolved the mileage issue for the new owner, I don't think he cares about the O2 issue.

Get your money back, and find another deal.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Frequent Gas Stations?

(ex Girlfriend had one. I liked it, but it averaged around 15mpg)

I’ve averaged about 18 in 2WD

Fair point. My example was in Colorado, and always in 4wd.

Shame about the pink milkshake...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 46and2,

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
get your money back- be patient and find the one you want. It's out there. You aren't desperate for the vehicle right now so time is on your side.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yeah, take the money and run. That dealer knew exactly what they were doing. Their hope was that you didn’t. Another save by Sigforum.

Posts: 26933 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Glad you caught it and you can get your money back.

For those playing the how to buy a car home game, the lesson to be learned is to ask these questions before doing the deal. I've bought a few things that afterwards I wish I'd have checked out better before hand.

Posts: 10995 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
So how do you prevent this?

Wife has an 05 Xterra and I have a Titan?

Posts: 22933 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

The titan should have no issue.

The frontiers have a transmission line that goes into the bottom of the radiator to help cool the transmission. This isn't a design flaw, other makers have done and still so this. Mine failed where the line entered the radiator. It was a hairline crack, but temperature and pressure differences exacerbated the issue.

There are two fixes, replace radiator (what dealer recommends) or do a radiator cooler bypass. I did the bypass for awhile, but returned to OEM due to towing. Doing the bypass and adding a transmission cooler would be a solve too.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

How many miles on her xterra? The Nissan mechanic I went to said the highest miled xterr her ever saw without fluid mixing was 147k miles. He’s never seen one above that on an original radiator without some mixing.