SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fasting increases blood pressure? Apparently it does.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fasting increases blood pressure? Apparently it does. Login/Join 
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I thought the only time they recommended fasting prior to a blood test was when getting a lipid panel done. Amazing how hungry you are when you can’t eat.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You have to realize that new studies uncover information that influences the results of the blood test. Several years ago, I found that my iron level was high so I started donating blood;

Your blood test is one of the most important things you can do each year. The Life Extension Foundation has one of the lowest costs for blood tests done by Lab Corp. But there may not be a Lab Corp in your area so you are out of luck. When you have a blood test, it is important to tell them whether you fast or not so they mark it on the test.

Another important thing is to get an ultra sound test of your cardiovascular system which should cost under $200. You only have to do this every three years or less depending on what they find. Look at Bernie and Clinton and you have to wonder why their doctors did not have an ultra sound test which would have uncovered their arteries starting to clog up. Maybe their doctors are Republican?? Eek Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I don't subscribe to the fasting diet crap ...

You may not subscribe to it, but it's hardly "crap." It is based on solid biological principles, and it most definitely works--at least for most people. Works for me, that's for sure.

I get it - don't eat aka take in calories - lose weight.
Don't have a weight problem so it's crap to me hence no need to torture myself.
Eating regularly is better for metabolism and energy .... for me.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You may not subscribe to it, but it's hardly "crap." It is based on solid biological principles, and it most definitely works--at least for most people. Works for me, that's for sure.

Big difference between "crap" and "not applicable."

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
When in thee course of human evolution do people think we started eating so much? What about eating three (or more) meals a day? I bet if you looked back at it, it would be a WHOLE LOT more recent than most people think.

I'd be interested in knowing what the OP's blood pressure would be if he fasted the same amount of time, DIDN'T drink coffee and DIDN'T go to the doctor.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
You have to remember that you are posting your n=1. My n=1...

I fast all the time. Most days it's a regular TRE (time restricted eating)... prolong the period from your last meal to the first meal of the day (be it breakfast or lunch).

Just woke up and took my bp twice before my first cup of coffee this morning:

BP 105/72 107/72

Normal for me. I plan on continuing this to an intermittent fast (48 hours or so) and will update with bp readings throughout the next couple days.

I've never had white coat syndrome / hypertension, but I do try to relax before and during my readings - close my eyes, feet flat, slow breathing etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: f2,

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
^ at the 24 mark of the previous fast:

104/61
108/62

morning, no coffee

broke fast at 28 hours:

113/63
116/65

am in the middle of another fast; 30 hour mark:

117/68
125/69
107/67

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Fasting isn't a "diet" at all, so much so that putting the words next to each other is absurd.

Neither is it "torture" Roll Eyes, it's pretty sad people have to be surrounded by food all the time and can't miss a meal or two, like food is some sort of security blanket.

Finally, the whole eat frequent small meals for a higher metabolism is debunked BS. I preached that mantra too when I was briefly a personal trainer. Fasting actually increases metabolism as proven in studies.

I'm pretty darn lean and don't fast to lose weight (though it does help me maintain it by reducing my feeding hours thus reducing my opportunity to over
eat), I do it for other health benefits plus it makes my life more convenient.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Fasting isn't a "diet" at all, so much so that putting the words next to each other is absurd.

Neither is it "torture" Roll Eyes, it's pretty sad people have to be surrounded by food all the time and can't miss a meal or two, like food is some sort of security blanket.

Finally, the whole eat frequent small meals for a higher metabolism is debunked BS. I preached that mantra too when I was briefly a personal trainer. Fasting actually increases metabolism as proven in studies.

I'm pretty darn lean and don't fast to lose weight (though it does help me maintain it by reducing my feeding hours thus reducing my opportunity to over eat), I do it for other health benefits plus it makes my life more convenient.

What he said ^^^^^. Every word. ('Cept I was never a personal trainer--merely well-studied.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
For some reason I can't quite fathom, I read the title as 'Farting'.

Posts: 11314 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
For some reason I can't quite fathom, I read the title as 'Farting'.
Big Grin I'm more into intermittent farting.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Fasting also lengthens your life. Here is one of Dr. Faloons videos on anti-aging and extending your life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGRSykSSZsM

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Whether you have a weight problem or not, it makes sense that organs have a finite life and constant digestion and hormonal response to constant calories would cause wear and tear on the human machine. I can eat the same amount of calories with a window as I do without, but I do fast for 20~ hours most days. Once your body gets used to it, you don't even start to get hungry until it is time to eat.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

I get it - don't eat aka take in calories - lose weight..

Nope, you don't get it. It's not about calories.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
I get it - don't eat aka take in calories - lose weight..
Nope, you don't get it. It's not about calories.
The calorie in/calorie out weight loss paradigm is being found to be lacking. Sure the laws of thermodynamics are still active but it's such a small part of the equation. Hormonal control, especially insulin, is far more important. That's why calorie counting just doesn't work.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went for my 6 month blood test, A1C creeping up slowly. I’ll be 73 next month and still not on any medication. My normal eating habit is two meals, breakfast at 9am and my main meal at 3pm. Then I fast for the rest of the day. As part of my blood test they always check my BP. It’s always around 118/80. Don’t think fasting has any impact on it.

Posts: 57 | Location: Southwest Florida  | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post