SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fasting increases blood pressure? Apparently it does.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fasting increases blood pressure? Apparently it does. Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
My GP told me to record my blood pressure (BP) three times a day prior to my annual physical exam. And to schedule a blood draw, which requires fasting for at least ten hours before the draw.

I’m an early to bed, early to rise guy so I’d consumed nothing but water and black coffee since 8 PM the day before the 2 PM draw. My early morning BP reading was higher than normal. After the draw I returned home and did my second daily BP check about 3 PM – still hadn’t eaten anything.

I was terrified to see 172/97 – that’s stroke territory. I called 911 and requested an ambulance to take me to a hospital.

In the fire department ambulance I spoke with a paramedic, and told him, among other things, about my fasting. He told me, in essence, “Well, that’s probably the cause of your high BP. We’ll take you to the hospital if you want, but we recommend that you just go back into your home and eat some food.”

I took that advice. An hour later, my third daily BP check showed a lower reading. It improved even more the next day. And my BP check early this morning showed an approximately normal reading of 133/75 – sure glad to see that!

I’d’ve guessed that if fasting had any effect on BP, it would lower it. Wrong, apparently. Next year I’ll schedule the draw for early morning, so the fasting interval won’t be so long.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Coffee dang sure affects my BP

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fasting and diabetes are characterized by elevated glucocorticoids and reduced insulin, leptin, elevated hypothalamic AGRP and NPY mRNA, and reduced hypothalamic POMC mRNA.

As I suspected: fasting increases cortisol levels, it’s like you’re on ‘roids, man.
Explains why religious types feel so much energy when they’re fasting. I feel that way after an epidural steroid injection.

Thanks for passing this on!

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Some religions or religious sects may practice fasting, but outside of that, what reason is there to do it?
quote:
Next year I’ll schedule the draw for early morning, so the fasting interval won’t be so long.

You just got through with a health near-crisis, but you're going to keep doing the same thing that probably precipitated it in the first place? Confused

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Whenever I have to have blood drawn that requires fasting I schedule an early appointment for the blood to be taken. Usually, 8am or earlier.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Some religions or religious sects may practice fasting, but outside of that, what reason is there to do it?
Lots of reasons to do it, with many positive results. Whether or not any of them are useful to you is something else entirely. I do intermittent fasts, and have done several three day fasts with no ill results. And I have never registered a BP spike like the OP describes, though mine tends to run in the low side normally.

If you are inclined to wonder and want to find out what would drive folks to stop eating from time to time, look up Dr. Jason Fung on YouTube. It's the quickest way to see what the hype is about as he is probably the most well known and informed of modern proponents. If you are not so inclined...well...don't. Smile

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I've been diagnosed with several serious health issues, including Essential Hypertension, and on several high doses of BP meds.

Partly for health reasons and partially for personal circumstances, I regularly fast. I typically eat one small meal a day, sometimes with a tiny bit of snacking...usually 900-1500 calories per day...but, yes, on occasion I sometimes get to splurge and eat a few more calories. As I write this I haven't eaten in 24 hours.

My last 2 check-ups have indicated that my BP has increased from its previous controlled levels and my cardiologist is concerned...but while he has tried to suggest other types of diets he also has seen my weight decrease and continues to encourage me to do what I can to continue losing weight.

In addition to increased BP, one of the side-effects to fasting, at least for me, is that even when I'm tired I have trouble sleeping. I have trouble sleeping at night (former night-shift worker + night owl genes) anyways...but my problems sleeping are more pronounced when fasting. Part of it is my belly constantly making noises and waking me up, but I'm convinced there is more to it than that. Even when I'm tired I feel like I have excess energy.

But, despite the difficulties and side-effects, there are several benefits to fasting, and it is becoming more widely accepted as, not only losing weight, but increasing various other health benefits.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:
Lots of reasons to do it, with many positive results. Whether or not any of them are useful to you is something else entirely. I do intermittent fasts, and have done several three day fasts with no ill results. And I have never registered a BP spike like the OP describes, though mine tends to run in the low side normally.

If you are inclined to wonder and want to find out what would drive folks to stop eating from time to time, look up Dr. Jason Fung on YouTube. It's the quickest way to see what the hype is about as he is probably the most well known and informed of modern proponents.If you are not so inclined...well...don't. Smile

Dr. Fung has done several interviews with a variety of people, including some well known Conservatives who follow his recommendations. When you take into account his reasonings + his studies he makes a convincing argument for the benefits for fasting.

There are a number of fasting schedules that don't even require changing your diet at all.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Intermittent fasting has been proven to be a very effective fat loss method, because it forces your body to use stored fat for energy.

I'll be getting back on my exercise and nutritional routine starting today. I will intermittent fast at least once a week--usually on Sunday nights into Monday mornings. Perhaps twice a week.

There have been numerous discussions about this here on SF.

Btw: I have marginally high BP. I've never noticed intermittent fasting to markedly increase my BP. I'll have to check for that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
It is good to fast once or twice a week.

It is not recommended to fast before a blood test to get more accurate reading.

https://www.lifeextension.com/...levels-surge/page-01

You can get the male panel blood test for $269:

https://www.lifeextension.com/...ale-panel-blood-test

When the test is on sale, it is as low as $199 while the same test from Lab Corp would be over $1200+ if you walked in the front door. Eek Big Grin Someone is taking advantage of us.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
^^^^^^

My doctor requires a fast prior to giving blood for lab analysis. I am allowed just enough water to take my medications for 8 hours before giving blood.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
^^^^^^

My doctor requires a fast prior to giving blood for lab analysis. I am allowed just enough water to take my medications for 8 hours before giving blood.

flashguy

I don't subscribe to the fasting diet crap but on all blood test they always require min 12 hours of fasting prior to blood testing.
I have no data on how it affects BP.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Next year I’ll schedule the draw for early morning, so the fasting interval won’t be so long.

You just got through with a health near-crisis, but you're going to keep doing the same thing that probably precipitated it in the first place? Confused

As I said in my OP, next year I’ll schedule an early morning blood draw so the duration of my fast won’t be so long. So NOT doing the same thing.

Not all blood draws require fasting, but my GP wanted to see some components of the metabolic panel that do require fasting.

After my lunch, featuring a scrumptious BMT (Bacon, Mayo, Tomato) sandwich, my BP was 111/72. BMTs are good for you!

BTW – This blood work won’t cost me even one red cent – 100% covered by insurance. The insurance costs a bundle though. More than $300/month for Medicare Part B for my income level. Not to mention the cost of my UHC Plan N insurance.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
fasting prior to blood testing.

A legitimate medical procedure is something I didn't know about.

The one time I was told to purposely not eat or drink anything was the night and morning before an operation. No coffee that morning was harder than the operation. Big Grin

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
If you read the article, you will see why it is preferred to not fast before a blood test:

"As long as there is a reasonable degree of cellular insulin sensitivity and loads of insulin being produced, a fasting glucose blood test may appear in a safe range, which by today’s standards is under 100 mg/dL.

What few understand is that excess insulin contributes to disease states even before fasting glucose raises to prediabetic levels. Doctors suspect prediabetes when fasting glucose is in the range of 100 to 125 mg/dL.

Life Extension vehemently disagrees with conventional medicine and advocates people strive to achieve fasting glucose below 86 mg/dL. We know this is not always possible, but we want our readers to know what optimal glucose levels are based on science as opposed to obsolete “reference ranges.”

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Any pain cause an increase in BP.
When my paralysed leg hurts & burns
My bp goes over 150/90

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I don't subscribe to the fasting diet crap ...

You may not subscribe to it, but it's hardly "crap." It is based on solid biological principles, and it most definitely works--at least for most people. Works for me, that's for sure.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Here are some of the fasting benefits:

https://fitness.mercola.com/si...g-daily-routine.aspx

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Fasting can cause an increase in norepinephrine concentration but I doubt that occurred after only 18 hours.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Here are some of the fasting benefits:

https://fitness.mercola.com/si...g-daily-routine.aspx

Fascinating. I was not aware intermittent fasting could lower blood pressure. That may explain why, after fighting marginally high BP for years, it suddenly dropped to more respectable numbers after I'd been intermittent fasting once or twice a week for a couple months or so.