SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Onstar. Is it worth it, or another way the man is looking over my shoulder.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Onstar. Is it worth it, or another way the man is looking over my shoulder. Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted
What say the forum.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7650 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
All I can relate is the one experience I had when I really needed OnStar to meet the expectations they promise in their commercials.

Was coming home across I-94 in Indiana. Had a catastrophic blow-out. Called OnStar. I had to tell them where I was because they couldn't locate me. So much for them knowing where you are if you have a collision that takes you out. There we sat, in the blazing hot sun, with traffic whizzing by us, for 30-40 minutes while they... hell, I don't know what they were doing, but, when they came back they told me they had to transfer me to road service. That put me on hold for another twenty minutes. Had to tell them where we were. Then went back on hold while they sought someone to come out, only to find out they couldn't.

That's right: I was on a major expressway, near an exit ramp, not at all far from civilization, and OnStar could not find someone to come out for road assistance. And it ended-up taking about an hour-and-a-half to get to that point.

"Did I want them to try again?" "Never mind," I replied, "I'll call AAA." I did, and they had a truck out there in about twenty minutes.

So, no: I think it's a waste of money.

(I needed road assistance because some joker had, at some point, replaced the proper lug nut wrench with the wrong one, so I couldn't get the lug nuts off. Later found that's not uncommon in used vehicles. I would never have guessed.)

Oh yeah: And after I subsequently cancelled OnStar my wife's looking through the CC bill and asks "I thought you cancelled OnStar?" "I did." "We're still getting charged." Called and cancelled again. They promised they'd remove the additional charges. They did not. Had to call them again.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25980 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OnStar has been around for a long time, arguably GM's most valuable asset. Now that GPS and mobile communications is much more common and varied, as smartphones have been out for 15+ years, not sure its any more unique than what else is available.

If you're a senior and you're not too hip to modern technology/conveniences, I can see it as a nice feature: single-button push, talk to an operator for service.

Posts: 14537 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan for my personal use

However, I have it in my daughters car. I trust the emergency services and the maintenance alerts are a plus. It will tell me if she's riding on a low tire, engine light on or if she's skipped an oil change. Peace of mind

It works great for fleets too, tracking services, speed regulation, keeping up with maintenance

Posts: 5281 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Something you don’t really have to have – normally. But very worthwhile in the event of a serious auto crash that might leave you unconscious. With GPS they’d likely be able to send medical help pronto.

I have the similar Bluelink for my 2018 Hyundai Sonata – free for three years. I have the Bluelink app on my iPhone. Remote car starting (God, that would’ve been great when I lived in MN). Can open my car door and start the engine even if I lose my key. Or sound the horn if you can’t locate your car in a big parking lot.

I’m not worried that they might track me.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8815 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
When I was working LE, dispatch would get 3 or 4 calls a month from Onstar (or similar outfits) saying they had indications of a crash involving high energies and airbag deployments, before any 911 calls were received concerning the incident. A couple of times I remember attending calls to find the vehicle off the road in a ditch or culvert with the occupiers still in it and unable to reach their phones because during the crash they had been thrown under the seat or out the window. Had Onstar not called us, it could have been a long wait before anyone saw them or called it in.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use it

If I recall, the FBI has a backdoor into every OnStar account and they can turn on the microphone and listen in to anything going on without your knowledge or consent

I also recall where they disabled a car while it was being driven

seems too much like big brother to me

Posts: 53053 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
the FBI has a backdoor into every OnStar account and they can turn on the microphone and listen in to anything going on without your knowledge or consent

With a warrant.

I don't think Cliff will need to worry about that.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
your faith in the FBI is stronger than mine - they don't seem to think twice about fabricating cause, lying to judges and suppressing evidence...why let a little thing like a warrant hold them back...

Posts: 53053 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
your faith in the FBI is stronger than mine - they don't seem to think twice about fabricating cause, lying to judges and suppressing evidence...why let a little thing like a warrant hold them back...

To eavesdrop on Cliff? What do you think they're hoping to hear?

The pros far outweigh the cons.

C'mon man, let some reality in!

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
its not about Cliff - its the technology that has been perverted from its intended use

the contract was between the vehicle owner and OnStar - apparently the FBI wasn't content to let that go without any abuse

I think the technology should be abandoned as a 'nice try' and remove one more way the FBI can fuck over the public from their bag of dirty tricks

in Cliff's case, I still don't see the utility of OnStar if he has a cellphone

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

If what you assert is true: Do you suppose OnStar can't activate that microphone at will, without an OnStar service contract, at three-letter-agency's behest?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25980 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I was chatting with a friend in front of his hangar. His keys were on the seat of his Escalade. We were a few feet from the car, neither of us touched anything, we heard a "click," and his doors had locked. Weird!

He pulled his phone out of his pocket, called Onstar, they asked a couple of questions to verify his identity, and unlocked the vehicle for him.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30498 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cellphones are great if you

a) Have it with you, and you can reach it

b) It didn't pull the eject handle and vanish when you had the crash.

I have been to several crashes where the victim's cellphone ended up under the back seat somewhere or sailed into the wide blue yonder on impact.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Ever been hunting out in the middle of nowhere and locked the only set of keys in the car? I have. I borrowed a cell phone from another hunter and called Onstar, they verified ID and then remotely unlocked it. All of two minutes versus two hours and locksmith bill.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3757 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Ever been hunting out in the middle of nowhere and locked the only set of keys in the car? I have. I borrowed a cell phone from another hunter and called Onstar, they verified ID and then remotely unlocked it. All of two minutes versus two hours and locksmith bill.

Ha! I was just about to post something very similiar. I won't tell how many times I've had to call Onstar during hunting season to unlock my truck.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8508 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
I have a Jeep, which has a similar system - U-Connect. Every car company has its own variation.

On the plus side, the emergency call system (e.g., 911) will work even if I am not a subscriber. But I also have a cell phone.

I've got AAA and would prefer to use that for vehicle recovery. I believe all of the car companies' versions of On-Star use essentially the same network of towing companies, so why pay for it twice? AAA has been a good deal for me in the couple of times we've had dead batteries - they show up within 30 minutes with a charge.

Whether you activate (subscribe) to the system in your car or not, the cell phone that is the core of the system continues to register with the cell network -- giving law enforcement (and finance/credit companies) the ability to locate where you are and where you have been - and to activate the microphone. I don't like this much but I don't worry about it. I guess if I were really concerned, I would figure out how to disable that cell phone (which would be legal, unless there was some fine print in the financing contract).

As the states start to look at taxing people per-mile driven, systems like these will be used to assess mileage. I suppose they could also be used by insurance companies or the police to monitor driving speeds, braking patterns, etc. The potential for intrusive monitoring of what we used to consider private activities is significant, no doubt, but most of that has not been realized yet. We'll see how that goes in the future.

Bottom line: if you can afford it, it might be useful and sometimes amusing. If you don't have the money for something of marginal utility, make a spare door key for your wallet in case you lock your ignition key inside, and rely on your cell phone for everything else.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're worried about privacy, better toss the cell phone out and get off the internet because they're already monitoring all of that as it is. I only have the service that lets me lock/unlock/start the truck from my phone. It also grades my driving. Back at the height of the stay at home BS when I was still going to work it was fun to see how many hard accelerations it logged.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The man can look at you if the man wants to look at you. However I'm not sure why the man would much care about you. Just my vaguely educated ideas on the topic.

Posts: 3032 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its not worth the $ /mnth for the extremely remote chance that you are creamed and you/your car disapears into a black hole.

Everything else is free for 5 years with the free my chevrolet app mobile; remote unlock , car diagnostics etc....

Have owned several gm products and always let it expire wthout paying $ to GM.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post