SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best emergency meal buckets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best emergency meal buckets? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
I know it’s been asked but

Best tasting
Best place to buy
Any other suggestions or alternatives

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is probably too far away from you in terms of shipping costs; however, I’ve been very satisfied with their products (in terms of packaging) and service. The wait times are probably long at all of these types of food suppliers.

Rainy day foods

Silent

Posts: 1024 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Best place is the Mormon (Latter Day Saint) food if there is a location near you. They have some quality stuff but they've been out for months. I've bought and tasted Wise and it's fine, I also have Mountain House which some say is better. Right now Midway USA has a Wise bucket on clearance and it's the best deal I've seen.

I've been wanting to buy my own freeze dry machine since the food bucket prices are so expensive. If you had a large family to buy for and you were buying food for a year then I think freeze drying your own would make sense. I've also considered going halves with a friend on a freeze dryer to make the initial cost more tolerable. Once it's paid for then it's just buying Bags, oxygen absorbers etc.

https://harvestright.com/product/home-freeze-dryer/

https://providentliving.church...age-centers?lang=eng

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
What mrvmax said.
Look for an LDS Bishop's Storehouse to fulfill your food storage needs.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’m starting to figure out they are way over priced especially for the lack of calories.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We have a 72 hour box from Wise...I got three, one for each of us. And broke them down into the smaller components.

If it gets really bad I will eat the neighbors. Razz

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I have settled on the Mountain house "Just in case" buckets. I like the variety and flavor.

They can be had all over the net but I usually buy 4 or 5 when they go on sale and cycle the old ones out on camping/hiking trips.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Silent:
Rainy day foods
A lot better ingredients than Mountain House with their sugar and vegetable oil aka seed oils.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a full meal long term storage, then freeze dried is the best option. Either Wise or Mountain House.

If you are looking for full meal mid-term storage with no real need for water then MREs are a good option.

If looking for long term food storage of a variety to make meals then getting food from Latter Day Saints (LDS) is the way to go.

For me, I do all of these along with short term food storage of canned goods.

Right now I bet you will have a hard time finding several of the options other than canned goods.

A website I like for MREs is https://theepicenter.com/mre-meals-ready-to-eat.html because you can either buy full cases or build your own by buying things individually. I think they only sell Mountain House for freeze dried.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
What mrvmax said.

That and a Foodsaver type vacuum machine.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What mrvmax said.

I'm a bit confused... It has been my understanding that the LDS Bishop's Storehouse was for "the needy" and doesn't sell food to the public (I volunteered there a few times years ago). Has that changed?

Posts: 432 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WingedMedic:
quote:
What mrvmax said.

I'm a bit confused... It has been my understanding that the LDS Bishop's Storehouse was for "the needy" and doesn't sell food to the public (I volunteered there a few times years ago). Has that changed?

I'm not LDS, but I think the Bishops Storehouse is for the LDS members who need assistance and not for the general public.

The LDS Home Storage Centers are the ones that are open to the general public and sell the #10 cans of long term storage and a few other things not in cans, such as peanut butter, drink mix, granola etc. Download the order form and look.

You can go here LINK Home Storage Centers Locations and Order Form and see if one is near you.

I don't know if they normally allow this or not, but one day I was in the OKC Home Storage Center buying a few things and a super friendly volunteer showed me a quick peek and tour inside the Bishops Store House (only 1 wall separate the two, each has different entry doors), the Bishops Store House was kind of like a really small grocery store, stocking a little of everything it seemed. The volunteer and I are both Amateur Radio operators, I asked about the antennas on the roof and he decided to show me their station. It was interesting.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I'm not LDS, but I think the Bishops Storehouse is for the LDS members who need assistance and not for the general public.

The LDS Home Storage Centers are the ones that are open to the general public and sell the #10 cans of long term storage and a few other things not in cans, such as peanut butter, drink mix, granola etc. Download the order form and look.

You can go here LINK Home Storage Centers Locations and Order Form and see if one is near you.

Thanks for the clarification and the link! I'll have to check it out.

Posts: 432 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WingedMedic:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Thanks for the clarification and the link! I'll have to check it out.

Sorry, I had the wrong link. They have stored that sell stuff and there is some for sale online.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Got a couple of moutain house buckets when they went on sale on Amazon. I also bought a few individual pouches just to try them. They are excellent! Just boil some water, that's it. They have simply, but hearty ingredients (not a bunch of chemicals). If they weren't so expensive I'd eat them for at least one meal per day. Have had the beefaroni and chicken/rice. Also have some civilian MREs from Blue Line (found on amazon). They are not military, but packed the same way and not as expensive as real MREs.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I’m starting to figure out they are way over priced especially for the lack of calories.

Yep.

I buy 5 gallon buckets with omega lids, and just fill them with dry goods, and rotate.

You can jar spaghetti, chili, taco meat, and nearly anything else... and put away so much more per dollar avoiding these highly processed foods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post