SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Legal question regarding employer pay after termination
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legal question regarding employer pay after termination Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted
Due to the attorneys and HR people I thought I’d ask this here. I live in Texas (which is an at will employment state) at a non union employer. A co-worker turned in his notice that he was quitting and gave them one weeks notice. Our pay is direct deposited every other week and my employer continued to pay him after he quit and he had to tell them to stop paying him and he gave the money back.

My question is first, if he didn’t tell them to stop giving him money after he quit could he have legally kept it until they stopped? I’m not asking for the moral answer since we already know that.

Second, can they just reverse the direct deposit and take the money back out of his account without asking him? He already rectified the problem after the first error but it got me wondering. I’m surprised he told them since they only paid him for half of the vacation he had built up when he quit.

Posts: 4099 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
No, they could have successfully sued him for the return of unearned money. No, they can't unilaterally electronically remove it from his account.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
When you fill out a direct deposit permission slip thingy, isn't there some fine print that says you are also giving them permission to remove funds from your account to fix any errors? I though I remember reading that for one of my employers in the past and getting a chuckle.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
I was "overpaid" three times with my prior employer. The first two events, I contacted HR and over two months each pay period 4 was "shorted" 25%.
Third time I let it ride. 90 days later received a certified letter stating the following next two pay periods will be "shorted" 50%.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I quit a job with a huge company and received a paycheck via direct deposit that I should not have gotten. Once they realized what happened HR called me and told me to not touch the money and that they'll withdraw it the next day. So, I'd say if I had moved the money away from them, their lawyers would get involved. Wasn't my money to have anyways.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JohnV,

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

Posts: 4099 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Wonder about tax ramifications? A coworker of mine at an old got two bonuses when he was only supposed to get one and they wanted him to write them a check for the amount he got. Seemed like he’d be taxed on money he never earned.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I got pink slipped at one company I used to work for. They sent me checks (non-direct deposit) for three months. I cashed every one of them and squirrelled the money into a separate account. The company then contacted me that I was not supposed to get the money as it was an payroll accounting mistake. I told them I assumed that it was some sort of severance pay and if it was a mistake, to take me to court if they wanted it back (I had hard feelings about the place). They tried to play hardball and threaten me with all sorts of BS, but I knew it was a simple civil matter all due to "their" mistake and the best they could do was get exactly what they over paid me because of their mistake and no more and since I was not employed there anymore, it wasn't like they could just dock my pay to get it back.

So they took me to court. Just before the case, the court forced a last arbitration attempt. At arbitration, I told them I had already spent part of the money (BS of course) would give them back 2/3 of the money right then and there, or they could go to court and spend more in attorney fees than they would ever get back from me, and or possibly lose if I argued that there was no reason for me not to believe it was some sort of severance pay since no communication was given over the original pink-slip or during the time the checks kept coming. They took the offer of course rather than spend more on attorney fees and lost wages by having to have a company rep there.

Yes I wanted to stick it to them, and did walk away with a several thousand even after reimbersing them 2/3. Was it right of me, probably not, but it was also not my mistake. Did I feel guilty about this shitty company that treated its workers so crappy. Nope. I enjoyed going to court and arguing, since at worst, I would have to pay it all back (couldn't hit me with more like lawyer fees since it was not my mistake) and I had never actually spent any of it. Forcing them to spend the attorney fees and go through the motions was my fun payback whether I would have had to pay it all back, or not.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It sounds as if you are proud of this episode, XerO.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I owed $$$ to an employer for relocation costs that I didn't vest into, and I paid it back shortly after I quit. Wrote them a check and worked with their payroll department to get the tax thing correct as they can easily make such adjustments.

Years later, I got rehired by the same company. I honestly don't think I would have been rehired had I kept their money. The hiring manager said he looked at my old records before hiring me back.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10901 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It sounds as if you are proud of this episode, XerO.

A r0se, by any other name...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post