SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wish me luck in Berkeley
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wish me luck in Berkeley Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
but I may find it hard to hold my tongue if I encounter nonsense.

I hate to break it to you, but you will be in California Razz

But Berkeley is a special kind of nonsense.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
My number two son is graduating with a Masters in Chem E from Berkeley this weekend, and we're flying out there for the occasion.

Go Bears!

Make sure you set aside some time to enjoy the area. The view from Skyline Drive is spectacular on a clear day. Many great places to eat. Ignore the kooks and soak up the many things that can be enjoyed, sans politics.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
A Bernie shirt might be a good idea. Blending in with the natives and all that. After all you aren't just going behind enemy lines, you are going like Rambo First Blood Part II behind the lines. Deep. You might even be forced to eat something that would make a billy goat puke (like tofu).

Enjoy the trip, it is beautiful out there. A masters in that field is no small accomplishment.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
If you want some good NY pizza, this place was founded by a couple I went to culinary school with 20 years ago. I've not been to it but only hear good things about it.

Gioia Pizzeria

Posts: 33798 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Thats a myth...

quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
You can get a degree in folklore? Roll Eyes

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
If you want some good NY pizza, this place was founded by a couple I went to culinary school with 20 years ago. I've not been to it but only hear good things about it.

Gioia Pizzeria

Very good and great beer list.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wonder if that is the club that has skeet fields overlooking the water that he found. He told me about a place that was close, but didn't rent guns. I posted a while back about trying to ship his shotgun to him. We finally decided it was too much trouble.

Yes that has got to be the one.

http://www.richmondrodandgun.com/

Because the trap and skeet fields cause shots over the water you have to use non-lead shot.

They sell it there.

Because it requires non-lead shot they cannot hold NRA Sanctioned trap or skeet competitions.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Just a friendly reminder as bad as Berkeley may be it's still not the "PRC."

The People's Republic of Cambridge makes Berkeley look like Orange County.

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richmond Rod & Gun is one of the few left in operation around here. I've taken a number of shooting courses there, you gotta bring a couple of layers and have a thermos too.

Congratulations to your son, STEM courses at Cal are no joke, and a major reason why Cal is one of a handful of nuclear research universities in the country. The wing-nuts and wack-jobs are predictably all in the lesser humanities courses and they're pretty easy to spot. Lots of good places to eat, let us know if you're in need of recommendations. Make sure you get a hot dog/sausage at Top Dog. Pizza I'm more of a Zachery's and Pizzaiolo fan but, Gioia is not to be frowned on.

Go Bears!

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post