SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wish me luck in Berkeley
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wish me luck in Berkeley Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
My number two son is graduating with a Masters in Chem E from Berkeley this weekend, and we're flying out there for the occasion. I did leave my "Make America Great Again" hat at home, but I may find it hard to hold my tongue if I encounter nonsense.

For example, my son told me that last week some of those folks were protesting for a higher minimum wage. He said he thought, but did not say out loud, "if the minimum wage of $15/hour isn't good enough for you, you might rethink your decision to major in folklore". He literally overhead people talking and one was a folklore major. I don't know if I could hold my tongue.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you can still get a Bernie for President T shirt online for your trip. Might be safer.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Camouflage baby, camouflage Razz Congrats to your son!

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I think you can still get a Bernie for President T shirt online for your trip. Might be safer.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
You can get a degree in folklore? Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your son!

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:

++++

Congratulate you son on his accomplishment from a bunch of your invisible friends. Hopefully he promptly leaves the state after tossing his cap.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your son, you and the rest of your family. But folklore!!?? He, she, it, must be a proud SJW. Roll Eyes

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your son too but traveling to Bezerkly demands more than just luck. I wish you more than you may need!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Another great Chemistry Grad.

There is a nice Range close by Richmond Rod and Gun Club.

If Berkeley gets to you look me up and I will bring some guns we can shoot.

PS: at the range. Not at Berkeley. Big Grin

email in profile

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah camouflage in a bernie shirt with a peace drum.

Congratulations to your Son and Family.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:

I bet that's an old wives tale Wink

Congrats!

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:
Congratulations. Another great Chemistry Grad.

There is a nice Range close by Richmond Rod and Gun Club.

If Berkeley gets to you look me up and I will bring some guns we can shoot.

PS: at the range. Not at Berkeley. Big Grin

email in profile

Thanks! I'm not sure if I/we can get away, but I appreciate the offer and will keep it in mind.

I wonder if that is the club that has skeet fields overlooking the water that he found. He told me about a place that was close, but didn't rent guns. I posted a while back about trying to ship his shotgun to him. We finally decided it was too much trouble.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:

I bet that's an old wives tale Wink

Congrats!

I see what you did there! But seriously,

http://folklore.berkeley.edu/

Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... congrats - chemistry done, now for History?

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Okay here's the one that did it for me...

quote:

Folklore Roundtable with Jeana Jorgensen | HOW TO GET LAID IN FAIRY TALES: Patterns of Gendered Sexuality in European Tales of Magic
With Reception in the Folklore Archive
date : Fri, 03/17/2017 - 00:00
News

Visiting lecturer in Folklore Dr Jeana Jorgensen contributes chapter to New Approaches to Teaching Folk and Fairy Tales.

The book, edited by Christa C. Jones and Claudia Schwabe and published through Utah State University Press, "introduces scholarly perspectives on how to teach fairy tales in a variety of courses and academic disciplines...Challenging the fairy-tale canon as represented by the Brothers Grimm, Charles Perrault, Hans Christian Andersen, and Walt Disney, contributors reveal an astonishingly diverse fairy-tale landscape."

Former student of the late Alan Dundes, Dr Jeana Jorgensen, returns to UC Berkeley as a lecturer in the folklore program for Spring 2017.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
how to get laid... No one could have made this shit up.

But apparently, someone did!

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

Thanks! I'm not sure if I/we can get away, but I appreciate the offer and will keep it in mind.

I wonder if that is the club that has skeet fields overlooking the water that he found.

Yes - that's the Richmond Rod & Gun. If you go there, be sure to bring a jacket. You might need one in Berkeley, too. It's 54 degrees with cold winds off the Bay as I write this.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yup. Hats and sunglasses, too, and it wouldn't be bad to cache away light rain gear.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your son. I've actually talked to a buddY about taking a trip to Berkeley when they have their protests, it looks like a blast to be in the thick of it.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to town! Speak your mind if you feel the need. The violent leftists come out to play only for their scheduled temper tantrums. The run of the mill dipshits might give you a dirty look before they stomp off in a fit but that's it. Have fun out here.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post