SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    An interesting YouTube video about calibers and "stopping power" from research I think... Title: The Best Handgun Caliber - A Real World Study
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An interesting YouTube video about calibers and "stopping power" from research I think... Title: The Best Handgun Caliber - A Real World Study Login/Join 
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted
So, while I was cruising YouTube for fun videos to watch, I landed on this one discussing "stopping power" from a "prepper" viewpoint posted in May 2018.

Yes, I know this subject has LOTS of opinions, but I found this interesting and it seemed to be based on some data, at least from what I can tell. I didn't think there was a slant, not too much anyway.

It's supposed to be based on a real world study conducted of 1700 incidents over 10 years analyzed by a firearms instructor (I think he is also a police officer) to compare and contrast shooting incidents and the relationship to calibers.

Here is bio/link of the study's author (not the person posting on YouTube):
Our Instructors

Here's the link to the video:
The Best Handgun Caliber - A Real World Study

Here's the description from the poster on YT:

This video uses the data from Greg Ellifritz's 10-year stopping power study of real-world gun fights to shed the light of actual data on several common beliefs about handgun calibers including: 22 rifles are the best bug out guns, 45s have the best stopping power, 380s are too small to be effective, 410 guns are gimmicks, and more.

And yes, the music and the speech/tone of the narrator is a bit cheesy.

Also, it's worth reading the comments on YouTube, some of them are funny Smile

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
So in summary, it's not what you carry and shoot but where you hit with the shot. But we already knew that. Its been discussed here many times with the same conclusion every time.

Jim

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jimbo54,

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
So in summary, it's not what you carry and shoot but where you hit with the shot. But we already new that. Its been discussed here many times with the same conclusion every time.

Jim

Yeah, but you have to hit it with a .45. It'll kill your soul.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
A ten second preview looks like an endorsement of everything I've heard jjones say about using a rifle instead of a pistol.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
A ten second preview looks like an endorsement of everything I've heard jjones say about using a rifle instead of a pistol.

Just how do you conceal carry a rifle in public life?

Btw- wasn’t Travon killed with one shot from a .380?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Yeah, but you have to hit it with a .45. It'll kill their soul.

Guessing a .45 is preferred over a 10mm for those who like underpowered rounds and also having fewer of 'em. Wink

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
So in summary, it's not what you carry and shoot but where you hit with the shot. But we already new that. Its been discussed here many times with the same conclusion every time.

Jim

Yeah, but you have to hit it with a .45. It'll kill your soul.

True, just ask Colion Noir, he'll tell ya. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:

I'm guessing the same way cops do. You keep a handgun handy and make your way to your longarm, at first opportunity.

Lots of people have been killed by .22s. Go ahead and carry one if you like.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
The Great Debate continues.....

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure it was a 9mm (Keltec PF9, IIRC.)

As to the study in question, isn't this just another riff on the Marshall - Sanow methodology, that was largely dismissed by the wound ballistics science community?

quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post