SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sigforum search masters and cops too, what's this book called?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum search masters and cops too, what's this book called? Login/Join 
Picture of wolffy88
posted
I'm watching Another 48 HRS. and came to the scene where Cates is trying to make the face of the black guy who is kind of the head bad guy. He's got this book where he can flip through facial features to create a face of a suspect. Anybody know what that book is called? Be neat to have one I thought and they should be cheap to buy since they are worthless anymore.

The scene in the diner when Cates gets shot

The book in question

BTW, face book isn't a good search choice Big Grin

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
An "Identi-Kit?" I remember this from the old Hawaii Five-O, and more recently one turned up on an episode of Pawn Stars. I don't remember if Rick bought it or not. Big Grin

Posts: 27947 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"THESE ARE NOT MY EYES!!!!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We call it "Mr Potato Head"

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its the old Ident-I-Kit, IIRC.
A similar type of system was used in "Bullitt".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
We call it "Mr Potato Head"

Yep.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mr. Potato Head here in NC too.

Now we run a lineup thru the computer and it will find possibles based on descriptions given by witnesses...

But where I used to work for only had 50K people and most of the cops know all the usual suspects....probably less than 1000 people cause all the crime in my town

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Its the old Ident-I-Kit, IIRC.

Yep.
http://identikit.net/company/

It's computerized these days.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I started looking for an Identi-kits but I guess there aren't as many around as I expected. Still I think it would be something neat to own.

-wolff

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
Also, it looks like Smith & Wesson made them for a time.

-wolff

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
There were several versions of Identi-kit. Early on it was a series of transparent Lucite foils that were based on line drawings. Then came the type you see based on photos. There have been many upgrades over the years. Now it is computer software based. We had mixed results with the system over the years, largely dependent upon the skill of the technician and the interview, and the power of observation of the witness. The technician was supposed to go to a training certification course to use it but many using it had not been to the training. Sometimes you got a likeness that was dead on, sometimes it was off. It was a thrill to have a witness say, "That's him! That's the bastard that robbed me!"

Identi-kit is a brand name, that was once owned by Smith and Wesson. They are owned by another company now under license from S&W. There are other products but Identikit is the predominant one.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
There were several versions of Identi-kit. Early on it was a series of transparent Lucite foils that were based on line drawings. Then came the type you see based on photos. There have been many upgrades over the years. Now it is computer software based. We had mixed results with the system over the years, largely dependent upon the skill of the technician and the interview, and the power of observation of the witness. The technician was supposed to go to a training certification course to use it but many using it had not been to the training. Sometimes you got a likeness that was dead on, sometimes it was off. It was a thrill to have a witness say, "That's him! That's the bastard that robbed me!"

Identi-kit is a brand name, that was once owned by Smith and Wesson. They are owned by another company now under license from S&W. There are other products but Identikit is the predominant one.

Very cool. I've always liked nostalgic police stuff. Thanks for the info.

-wolff