SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Texas Speeding Records for 2017
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Speeding Records for 2017 Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
Was in a head on collision at about 55 mph a couple years ago, would that be about the same thing?

quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I wonder how far under the back bumper of a semi you will go when hitting it at 120? On the upside, at least you won’t feel anything.

Rear ending a truck would be worse than your head on. The truck has no give, no crumple zones, and a lot of mass. More importantly, your vehicle’s crumple zones won’t help you. When you rear end the truck, you will shear the truck’s ICC bumper. Your car will continue unempeded until you impact the rear axle group, usually 5-8 feet in. Then your car will begin to crumple and absorb your momentum against the non-crumpling axle. Unfortunately, by this point, the trailer deck will have peeled off your vehicle cab, and your head/upper torso along with it. This is similar to what happens when you t-bone a semi trailer, like the guy in the self-driving Tesla. These are ugly accidents.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
There is no vehicle on the planet faster than a radio

Yep. Send a cruiser to the gas station and wait.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend's father bought one of the first XK-E's in the US, straight off the floor of the New York Auto Show where it was introduced. Some weeks later, driving one of Illinois' tollways early one morning, the father said to the son, "I wonder if that plaque on the dashboard is correct -- it says this thing will do 150mph."

According to my friend, they passed an ISP station at the advertised speed, just as they were changing shifts. He said it was funny to see two shifts of State Police watch in amazement as the XK-E flew past, none of them bothered to try pursuing.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
If you win do you get a plaque or something?

You get one of the best memories of your life. That's worth it for some guys, esp for those who don't get caught or dead.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I wonder how far under the back bumper of a semi you will go when hitting it at 120? On the upside, at least you won’t feel anything.
In most cases, probably no farther than the firewall. If you get past the "Mansfield Bar", you'll next hit the rearmost trailer axle, which should stop you.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes me feel kinda lame for having never been over 100.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I can't believe is that almost all of them are bikes. Here when bikes are hauling a$$ like that, the cops don't even bother pursuing them because the bikes just outrun the cops.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post