SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Texas Speeding Records for 2017
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Speeding Records for 2017 Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
I finally got the break in miles. Last week I did 132 in a 65 in my new Porsche it had just shifted from 5 to 6th gear, still had one to go. Can't imagine going that fast on a bike. 5:30 in the morning and the interstate was deserted. I chickened out though and backed it down, with my luck I was worried about deer. It shifted from 2nd to 3rd at 77 mph.
Back when I was driving my BMW hard, my rule of thumb was out of 1st by 30, 2nd by 60 and 3rd by 90.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
how do the cops even catch these guys?

Radios. Eventually, they will run out of gas.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
I don't really take issue with any of those. The minimum allowable speed on the interstate should be at least 120 mph. Automotive technology has gotten much better, run of the mill fast cars can do 200 mph these days. Really fast cars are approaching 300 mph. The speed limits we have are antiquated and need to be significantly increased everywhere.

If driver training was good as the current technology then I would I agree.

It's not.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I was too scared to look down after the shift from 2nd to 3rd, when I backed off it was in 6. It was still rock solid and had quite a bit left. In the owners manual it states that the adaptive cruise control will automatically turn off at 135 mpm. Got to love those Germans.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
I finally got the break in miles. Last week I did 132 in a 65 in my new Porsche it had just shifted from 5 to 6th gear, still had one to go. Can't imagine going that fast on a bike. 5:30 in the morning and the interstate was deserted. I chickened out though and backed it down, with my luck I was worried about deer. It shifted from 2nd to 3rd at 77 mph.
Back when I was driving my BMW hard, my rule of thumb was out of 1st by 30, 2nd by 60 and 3rd by 90.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heathtx:
On that tollway 130 around Austin, if you are not driving 90, you will get run over.

I was driving on it one morning and a green McLaren passed me like I was on blocks, I was just cruising along at 90!

Sounds like he couldn't get it out of second gear.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Collin County location is in the middle of a large urban area, (Plano, TX) with stoplights every 500 feet. Must have run several red lights to reach that speed.

When I was in college in 1979, my TransAm was clocked at 122 in a 55 by TX Highway Patrol. Let me off with $175 ticket. Ah, the good ol’ days.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
This just confirms my taste in cars. I owned #11 on the list and traded it earlier this year for the 2017 version of #4 on the list. WooooHoooo!

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Cars don't speed, people speed Wink Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Back in the dumb days, I got popped for doing "120++" on a freeway in a RX7 turbo II.
Cop said, "I don't know how fast you were really going, but I was doing 120 and you were leaving me."

I had hit 145 and slowed down because I was coming up on some traffic...then redlights appear in my rearview.
Oops.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
These are the ones that got caught and documented.

There’s a stretch between Monaghans and Ft. Stockton that’s flat and long and relatively remote.... Let’s just say 10 mile visibility isn’t just for airplanes.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Notice most of those offenders were on crotch rockets..........

And all it takes wipe out at even half those speeds is a small rock on the road, a bee strike, a gopher running into the road, etc....

Physics is going to kill those idiots and let's hope it happens before they hurt or kill someone else.
Or reproduce.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
A few years back, there were problems with wild hogs on Tollway 130 around Austin. Nevertheless the speed limit stayed at 85. Hitting a hog in an i8 @ 143 just might leave a mark.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

Wonder what kind of fine and jail time you get for some of these? Wreckless Driving at a minimum I suspect.

RMD

If a citation is issued, it was just a speeding fine. Reckless driving is a class B misdemeanor and results in an arrest in TX. I tend to put reckless on anyone over 100 mph, or 35 over the limit in residential and business areas.

The officer has discretion to just issue a citation, but writing a ticket for 80+mph over the limit on I45 in Galveston county is a sign that the trooper either was trying to just make this list, or isn't willing to do his job.

Reckless driving is under 545.401 transportation code

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Inky young dumb days I used to commute about 15 miles on a freeway every Sunday morning about 4:30am. It was deserted.

I used a known distance of a mile and the counter clock on my CD player to figure out my speeds. At the time I was driving my 73 Nova with a low mileage and strong running ZZ4 and s freeway friendly 2.73 gear set in the differential. The “best” I ever got was about 141.

I stopped doing it after a CHP Officer got me. I had already started bleeding off speed as I was approaching a town but he got me at 121. He was quite pissed until he ran my paperwork and saw I wasn’t a dirtbag, just an idiot. Then he came very friendly and gave me advice for my court appearance as anything over 100 required an appearance. It only cost me about $370. I went in expecting to loose my license.

I still have and drive the nova abd I can’t imagine doing that sort of speed. The car scares me 70... it just doesn’t feel very stable compared to newer vehicles.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
There is no vehicle on the planet faster than a radio

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:

When we bought our Porsche we did a European delivery. When we picked the car up in Zuffenhausen our rep was very specific about not exceeding 4000 RPM for the first 2000 miles while touring around Europe.
We eventually found ourselves on the Autoban and at 4000 RPM's we were doing 105 mph. The car redlined at 7600rpm so if you do the math....it's a fast car.
The funny thing was as we were driving in the middle lane we were occasionally getting past by the big MB's and BMW's as you would expect but then a large brown blob blew by us going at least 130+. My wife said "What the hell was that"? I said "Honey, you just got your doors blown off by a Dodge mini van!"

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Notice most of those offenders were on crotch rockets..........

And all it takes wipe out at even half those speeds is a small rock on the road, a bee strike, a gopher running into the road, etc....

Not true. I've hit a rabbit in NV well north of 120 mph. You go right through it. Small rocks? Maybe but avoidable. A bee strike? That might mess you up if no protective gear. Loose gravel, oil, sand, chuck holes, deer, side traffic, etc. are your big problems. Those are an issue at almost any speed on any road when you're on two wheels.

Posts: 7550 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Mine had the same exact restriction. I think I had 2012 miles on it when I opened it up.

quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:

When we bought our Porsche we did a European delivery. When we picked the car up in Zuffenhausen our rep was very specific about not exceeding 4000 RPM for the first 2000 miles while touring around Europe.
We eventually found ourselves on the Autoban and at 4000 RPM's we were doing 105 mph. The car redlined at 7600rpm so if you do the math....it's a fast car.
The funny thing was as we were driving in the middle lane we were occasionally getting past by the big MB's and BMW's as you would expect but then a large brown blob blew by us going at least 130+. My wife said "What the hell was that"? I said "Honey, you just got your doors blown off by a Dodge mini van!"

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I wonder how far under the back bumper of a semi you will go when hitting it at 120? On the upside, at least you won’t feel anything.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Was in a head on collision at about 55 mph a couple years ago, would that be about the same thing?

quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I wonder how far under the back bumper of a semi you will go when hitting it at 120? On the upside, at least you won’t feel anything.