SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another recerational shooting-caused wildland fire...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another recerational shooting-caused wildland fire... Login/Join 
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted
The call went about 12:30 this afternoon and when I arrived on scene I found clay targets in the trees and evidence of tannerite. Some campers were trying to put it out with shovels but didn't have any impact. I had 40 gallons in the cop truck I carry for unattended campfires (way too common) that were a wasted effort.
The shooter showed back up after a bit and told me he was the guy and admitted the tannerite (and he's the only one who has ever manned up).

A USSFS investigator eventually arrived and charges will result. So will the bill for all the resources listed in the following article.

This is the fourth wildland fire this year in Park County from recreational shooting this year and all were within six miles of my house (it's outside of Jefferson, regardless of what 9 News says)

The one two weeks ago was caused by a 5.56 round hitting a rock (again, the one in April was a .270).

I know some guys don't believe this is possible, so lets call this a PSA, especially regarding tannerite. It's banned in the National Forest and today's shooter bought it at the Denver Cabela's where they gave him assurances about how safe it is.

I also had to shut down three other groups of shooters who were were within sight of the clouds of smoke with one bunch shooting at steel with jacketted rounds.

I have no idea what four-engine slurry bombers cost but suspect the bill will probably run higher than his house is worth.

The guess right now is 75 acres, 10% contained with two hand crews on overnight and trucks back tomorrow morning,

http://www.9news.com/news/loca...vacuations/451848716

Wildfire burning 45 acres in Park County forcing evacuations
Jacob Rodriguez, KUSA 7:59 PM. MDT June 24, 2017

PARK COUNTY - Evacuations have been reported in what forest officials are calling the 392 fire in Park County 9.5 miles northeast of Como Saturday evening.

The 45-acre fire is reportedly 10 percent contained and was started by human activity, according to the U.S. Forest Service. It is threatening one structure at this time - a ranch in Park County.

The blaze was first reported around 12:40 p.m. Officials say the fire is being fueled by dry grass in the area and being pushed on by winds.

Campers from County Road 39 and F.S. 129 are being evacuated for their safety.

Five fire engines, nine single-engine air tankers, two helicopters, two crews, two heavy air tankers, a lead aircraft, a water tender, an ambulance and an air attack have been brought in to contain the fire, according to the U.S. Forest Service Pike and San Isabel.

No injuries have been reported at this time. There are no road closures with this fire. Stay with 9NEWS for updates on this wildfire.

Posts: 590 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope they have the ability to pay. I did some volunteer work for the National Park Service years ago and have some familiarity with that sort of irresponsible behavior. Some stupid people are attracted to firearms. Glad you are there to help out the rest of us.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good luck and be safe. We’ve already had one that was evidently caused by a cigarette butt, and one or two near misses due to unattended campfires. (So no, it’s not only people with guns who are clueless and simply don’t care.)

I was absolutely convinced that bullets that didn’t contain steel cores could not possibly generate sparks until I started holding low light sessions with steel targets and ordinary handgun bullets with gilding metal jackets and lead cores. I have also seen flashes of light caused by M14 7.62 bullets hitting rocks. I assume they were some sort of piezoelectric phenomenon, and don’t know that they would generate sparks, but I’ve been wrong about such things before.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the heads up. I was one who believed bullets could not start a fire because copper and lead would not generate sparks, despite what you see on TV shows and movies.

I did some research and found its not sparks like steel and flint produce but molten metal created from the high energy bullets splattering against a rock, or worse a steel target. According to Wildfire Today all copper bullets are the worst.

Stay safe out there.

Posts: 590 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The 2008 Telegraph Fire in Mariposa California. Kids with rifles. Happened a couple of years after I moved from there. I remember naively checking how dry the grass was in back. 50 yards from a dead pine which would have gone up like a giant matchstick!

2008 Telegraph Fire - Mariposa County CA
Telegraph Road and Sherlock Road in the Midpines Area
Acres Burned - Containment: 34,091 acres
Structures Destroyed: 30 Residences and 100 Outbuildings.

http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/inc...info?incident_id=315

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Brooks:
I did some research and found its not sparks like steel and flint produce but molten metal created from the high energy bullets splattering against a rock, or worse a steel target.

Thanks for that clarification.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
I did some research and found its not sparks like steel and flint produce but molten metal created from the high energy bullets splattering against a rock, or worse a steel target.

Thanks for that clarification.

All of that energy has to go somewhere

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know some guys don't believe this is possible, so lets call this a PSA, especially regarding tannerite.

IMO we should charge it as an illegal firework.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
All of that energy has to go somewhere

Yes. The issue is where and how.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, common sense isn't so common. Even where legal, common sense should dictate where, when, and under what conditions activities should occur. Blowing tannerite in a wooded area, around dry fuels, etc. with neither precautionary prep work, or having a way to immediately extinguish inadvertent fire borders on criminal negligence before the fire even starts.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you for the heads up. I was one who believed bullets could not start a fire because copper and lead would not generate sparks, despite what you see on TV shows and movies.

I did some research and found its not sparks like steel and flint produce but molten metal created from the high energy bullets splattering against a rock, or worse a steel target. According to Wildfire Today all copper bullets are the worst.

Stay safe out there.

They're also great for starting fires at indoor ranges, too.

All of these bubbas going out in the woods to shoot, really need to pull their heads out of their asses.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
^^ Agreed to the above. the vast majority of shooting on public lands has been shut down by the by the BLM in California because of stupid asses setting fires with bollitz.

It's pretty sad actually.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post