SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Online source for quality Horseradish
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Online source for quality Horseradish Login/Join 
posted
Living in the Deep South, there is an absence of good horseradish. Any suggestions for online source? Thanks

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy it from a local oyster house. Phil’s Marina Cafe in Slidell
No idea where they get it from, it’s sinus clearing good
I grab some each time I have dinner there

Just a suggestion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Living in the Deep South, there is an absence of good horseradish. Any suggestions for online source? Thanks

Do they sell the Horseradish root at your food store? We make our own...it's hard to be in the same room with the stuff sometime. Very Powerful.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mom and Dad have it growing in their gardens. Grows incredibly deep, is a root like a white radish, but tougher.

Fresh is incredibly hot, and the fumes can knock you back. I've seen pics of old Russian or Polish women making a horseradish dish wearing gas masks. Having tried a sniff of some I was making once, (and never again since), I don't think it's a bad idea if you are making a lot.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Fresh Ground and Seminole in the meat cooler section with the cold pickles at Publix is very good.

I prefer the Fresh Ground.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Miller's is a staple in this house, just looked and it is available on Amazon.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Do they sell the Horseradish root at your food store? We make our own...it's hard to be in the same room with the stuff sometime. Very Powerful.

This.

Buy root and cheese grater.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

That looked familiar; I had to check my refrigerator. Yup, same stuff.

I got it at Publix, too.
OOPS! Looks like the closest Publix store to ZSMichael is about 50 miles from him. No worries, same brand is available from Amazon, $2.49 / 8 oz. jar. Free shipping, of course, for Prime members.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's almost a weed and once it gets hold, it grows pretty quick.
Grind it outside!!!

Posts: 1652 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
We make our own from Bohemian Horseradish.

If you PM me your info I will send you some the next time we make it.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

This.

Buy root and cheese grater.

I put it in the blender with a little sugar, lemon juice, and sour cream. Easy peasy.

Around Easter time I make it with beets, sugar, water, and lemon juice. A Polish delicacy.

Been growing my own for a few years now.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I make it with beets . . . A Polish delicacy.
Beets, yes! I remember that, at my Polish / Russian grandmother's table. Stores used to carry it in jars, but I have not seen the purple horseradish in stores for a long time.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beware! If you decide to make it in a blender just be very careful when you remove the lid as it will seriously enlarge the size of your sinuses. Trust me on this, haha!!!

Posts: 516 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clipper1:
Beware! If you decide to make it in a blender just be very careful when you remove the lid as it will seriously enlarge the size of your sinuses. Trust me on this, haha!!!

This. Mine looked like coarse sawdust, like from a chainsaw. Took a sniff to see how much vinegar to add.

Stuff would make an awesome defense spray. Will make your scalp feel like it has come alive and is trying to crawl off your skull, take your breath and vision away, and make you spasm, sneeze and vomit at the same time.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Tucson it's "Atomic Horseradish". Real nasty stuff guaranteed to open up your sinuses.

Many years ago I used to grind my own from the root.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That looked familiar; I had to check my refrigerator. Yup, same stuff.

I got it at Publix, too.

Fresh Ground Horseradish

Yes, at Publix, the best fresh In the stores here.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Atomic almost as good as my Dad used to grind.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I just go out to the garden and dig some up. Unless the ground is frozen Wink

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the suggestions.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I don’t know anything about horseradish, but if the stuff is as gosh awful potent as you say, maybe you’re using the wrong part of the horse. Big Grin

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post