SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Miter saws: reviews on DIY grades are all over the place
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Miter saws: reviews on DIY grades are all over the place Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lopezp:
Lowe’s and Home Depot are running a Black Friday special on the Dewalt 12” sliding dual-bevel saw with a stand for $399. I bought mine today to replace my crappy $60 Hitachi.

Snagged this one!

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I bought a Dewalt 12” sliding dual-bevel saw about six months ago to replace an old crap one. I have used it to remodel 3 bedrooms and all the molding. It has been excellent. Angles good and true and the dual bevel ensures I won't make nearly as many mistakes flipping the crown molding over and cutting the wrong angle. I did put a much better fine blade on it that cuts molding super clean.

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This post was timely for me. I have been researching SCMS’s for the past year or so and got serious again regarding a purchase about a week ago. The DeWalt saws were toward the top of my list.

I have been slowly building a 17’ long miter saw bench, based on Old Yankee Workshop plans. The saw bench will be against a 5’ high knee-wall under the rafters (12/12 pitch) on the second floor of my shop, and I will have to cut a deep and wide pocket into the knee-wall to clear the rails on the DeWalt saw. A Makita LS1219L would be better for this type of installation, but I think I can make this work, and can also configure a good dust collection arrangement at the back of the saw with a hood in this pocket.

On Wednesday I redeemed some hotel rewards points for $400 worth of Lowes gift cards, with the intent that I would receive them (likely at least four weeks out) and then apply them toward the DW780. But, the Black Friday deal on the DW779, at $399, with the bonus job-site work stand, was too hard to pass up. I bought that one yesterday, and based on reviews I have seen, I feel it will work well for my use in a dedicated miter saw bench installation. This saw will be used for woodworking projects, not precision cabinet work. I have a home-built table saw sled for my Delta cabinet saw, so can resort to that if more precision is needed.

Anyone install one of the kits onto a DW779 to get the shadow line for the cut, like the DW780?

https://www.mmtoolparts.com/st...3tepeHkaAvtkEALw_wcB

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post