SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Miter saws: reviews on DIY grades are all over the place
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Miter saws: reviews on DIY grades are all over the place Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
Was looking at Dewalt, Metabo and Bosch 10” sliding models. Seems the lasers all suck, the blades don’t track well or the fence is crap. I just want one that’s reasonably accurate and the blade changes are simple. Is there such a thing without spending $1000 or more?

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have been very happy with my hand me down DeWalt. The person I got the DeWalt from went with the Bosch and is very happy with it.
If it is a Metabo HPT don’t bother with it. Those are the old Hitachi Power Tool line. While decent the DeWalt and Bosch are better.
If it is the regular made in Germany Metabo I have not used their saw but every other Metabo tool I have used (all in a full scale commercial metal shop) were top notch.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've been happy with my Delta Cruzer. It gets the job done, for homeowner/DIY use at least, without breaking the bank.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Makita makes a very good sliding miter saw.
Look at the LS1019L.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Unless you're building high-end furniture, pretty much any $300-$700 saw is going to be fine. I had a straight DeWalt for years.

While I was working at the lumber yard, they got in a bunch of "909" branded tools (no idea who makes them) and they had a sliding compound miter at a very attractive price. I've been pleased with it as well.

I do recommend the slider for the extra capacity.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
I agree with Paul. I have a Makita sliding compound miter saw. Have had it 18 years or so... only sees occasional use and I am not building anything that needs a high degree of accuracy but it has worked great. It is solid, I am sure in skilled hands it is all you really need.

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Unless you're building high-end furniture, pretty much any $300-$700 saw is going to be fine. I had a straight DeWalt for years.

While I was working at the lumber yard, they got in a bunch of "909" branded tools (no idea who makes them) and they had a sliding compound miter at a very attractive price. I've been pleased with it as well.

I do recommend the slider for the extra capacity.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Unless you need real precision, I'd get a Makita as a first choice. Anything better than that is gonna cost real dollars.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Makita makes a very good sliding miter saw.
Look at the LS1019L.

I have an older version of that same saw, w/o the laser, and it's been a great saw. It'll probably outlive me.

The Makita 10" sliding compound miter saws have always been regarded as one of the better ones, in part due to their unique (?) dual-rail mechanism.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I have 2 makita's in my cabinet shop for basic tasks but there is nothing better then an omga but you will pay thousands for it.

https://www.omgainc.com/8-single-mitre-saws

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I have had a 12 inch Dewalt for only a year and a half but love it so far. 4x4s are a piece of cake and will cut at least a 2x6s without having to slide. I have mostly used it for framing and vinyl siding so far.

It doesn't have a laser. LED lights light up the general area of the work leaving a shadow of the blade on the work piece to mark the cut... at least on my model, no laser. Since it is a shadow of the actual blade there is no error. It does work outside in full sunlight, but is better if set up in the shade.

have

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Any of the big names (Dewalt, Makita, even Rigid) have very competent 12" sliding mitre saws. Any of them can be had for <$1k. Just budget enough extra $$$ to buy yourself a really nice blade (~$100-$150) for your more finished cuts. As for the laser issue, put a speed square in you back pocket, a tape measure on your front pocket, and a pencil behind your ear, and mark your cuts. I've never fully trusted the laser guides given the myriad of ways they can get out of alignment.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lowe’s and Home Depot are running a Black Friday special on the Dewalt 12” sliding dual-bevel saw with a stand for $399. I bought mine today to replace my crappy $60 Hitachi.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a Dewalt 12in sliding double bevel plug in saw with a basic stand for 2 years. I love it, it’s done everything I’ve asked of it, blade changes are easy. No laser, but my general opinion of lasers are they are a waste of money.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2695 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have a DeWalt sliding double compound. I also added their blade light/shadow module. It works very well and is better than a laser.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lopezp:
Lowe’s and Home Depot are running a Black Friday special on the Dewalt 12” sliding dual-bevel saw with a stand for $399. .

A real deal! I paid regular price... $499 and didn't get the stand!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a 12-inch DeWalt non sliding. I’m kicking myself for not buying one years ago when I first started thinking about one. Just no place to put it. Now that I have it, I’ll get a space built for it.

My neighbor is an ex general contractor and currently owner of a specialty saw mill. He has 3 of the 12-inch sliding DeWalt miter saws. They have all seen heavy use and live outside year around. The slides have rust on them but the saw just glides over the slides. They just keep on working. They all see heavy use 5 days a week. Not sure what they use the miter saws for at the mill. They have big stuff for the logs they mill. I watched them split a cedar log that was a good 5 feet in diameter and 16 feet long. Impressive.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lowe’s and Home Depot are running a Black Friday special on the Dewalt 12” sliding dual-bevel saw with a stand for $399. I bought mine today to replace my crappy $60 Hitachi.

Yikes! I’d jump on that if I was still looking. I paid $325 for my non sliding 12-inch DeWalt with no stand.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I am a hobbyist and build lots of stuff around the ranch(home additions, barns, range house, outbuildings, etc.) and and for friends and family. My saws have had a lot of hard use in SYP and PT lumber. I have a 12" DeWalt sliding compound miter on a wheeled stand for transporting around to jobs. The shadow line is a great feature for accuracy. It is built like a tank and heavy but accurate. This is my second DeWalt in 40 years, I have nothing to complain about in terms of durability. In the shop I have the new Bosch 12" compound miter saw mounted. It takes up less space than the DeWalt with it's articulating arm, rather than the sliding bars which protrude from the back. Have not used this one much but the quality and fit/finish are excellent and it was dead on square out of the box.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I couldn't resist this deal, especially when you add in the 10% military discount. I have a 10" Dewalt non slider that has been fantastic, looking forward to the 12" slider.

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I have a 12" Dewalt compound mitre, non sliding. It is not super-accurate but it's accurate enough. I have built furniture, run base trim, installed paneling, etc. It has been solid for about 5 years now. Can't complain.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post