SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much more pompous could Rollins College get?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much more pompous could Rollins College get? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Classes have been shifted to online instead of in person. I am in class last night and we are going over, discussing, a assignment the professor issued to us last week. The scenario is that we are to design some sort of team building exercise over the course of a weekend, it does not have to encompass the entire weekend and the maximum budget was $10,000 or so. He gave us very loose guidelines on purpose. The workers were grocery store and deli personnel. He wanted us to design a team building exercise to get them to work together better.

People are talking, giving ideas about what they’d do. Professor asks if they would be starting Friday and spending the night or start Saturday morning.

One especially pompous girl said “they’re only deli workers, it shouldn’t be hard so I would start Saturday morning.” One girl chimes in right after and said, paraphrasing, that those people are pretty damn important right now and they’re still going to work.

Pompey back tracks, or at least tries to, and says “well I just didn’t want to pay for the hotel rooms, that’s all...” Roll Eyes

No wonder why I can’t stand the place. The girl who made that statement doesn’t even work a fancy job to halfway justify such an arrogant statement. She works on campus in the records department.

If I was paying for this degree, I would’ve dropped out within days of starting. Why do these children, most of them are under 30 and have little to no real work experience. How do they get such attitudes and seemingly disdain towards a blue collar worker trying to feed their families like the rest of us?

Maybe it’s just me. I was raised working class and even though I managed to go to good schools and work some nice jobs, I don’t act pompous. Not that I know of anyway since I’m not an expert Big Grin

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they're young and have little perspective I imagine

i can remember when younger being more judgmental of others based on their chosen jobs / professions or where they 'ended up' in life

nowadays -- if a person has a job -- any job -- and busts his / her ass to do it and pays taxes -- they have my respect and are worthy of being treated w dignity

that worker is contributing to the productivity of society even if in a small way

-------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
That's not pompous, it's just a lack of life experience.

I work with kids like that every day, and they say the same stuff. They're teenagers. Even the kids who have jobs say the same stuff.

Perhaps your life experience and theirs are different, and that difference accounts for their attitudes?

Find her again in 5 years and she'll probably sound different. It's called getting older and maturing.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
That young lady needs a couple dozen doses of reality before joining the working world.

I think I recall this was in context of a management degree? Makes me shudder to think of this individual being in charge of other people's working lives.

Though, most of us have had the experience of working for totally clueless individuals - Dilbert Pointy-Haired-Boss types. Maybe she'll find a place where that attitude gets her ahead.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
dude, it's Rollins, just go to your 3pm water ski class, cut some waves in the lake, that should destress you, hit the hot tub and massage rooms, then stroll down Park Ave, have a chardonnay and some brie... Razz

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do these children, most of them are under 30 and have little to no real work experience.

Constant raising of the minimum wage is a huge cause.
It cuts out the beginner and those with little or no experience because the employer can take the risk of training with the higher wages.
"Back in the Day" we (guys anyway) started out delivering papers at round age 10 and eventually worked up to a real hourly job by age 16.
From there by the time your are in your early twenties you already have some work experience and developed some sort of work ethic.
Now days .... Frown

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Constant raising of the minimum wage is a huge cause.....

There's nobody at Rollins as a UG that did any labor or work, the families sending kids there are extremely well off, it's not UCF....

If you are driving last years BMW i8 to school at Rollins you'll get hazed....

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Im over on Park Ave frequently, I fish over at Rollins, I ride my bike through that area and I love it. But theres a reason why "those people" have a reputation for being assholes.

Ask Winter Park PD what they think of the student body...

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9686 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I like to ride my Road Glide up park avenue with some loud music and smoking a cigar whilst they sip on a craft beer and eat $24 mini burgers at BurgerFI....

It was a lot better with the softail and the open drag pipes, got a lot of scorn, and dirty looks Big Grin

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Not just Rollins, it's everywhere.... Here's a young lady who didn't want to cooperate with what started out as a warning about riding a bike on the wrong side of the road, and it escalated due to, well, her being pompous.

Right after this event the entire State Police Department announced that they would no longer patrol the campus due to the Univ president taking sides on the issue. Seriously.

Apologies to those who have seen this before, but it fits this thread nicely.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/gbdtX8dBPZU

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10921 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
dude, it's Rollins, just go to your 3pm water ski class, cut some waves in the lake, that should destress you, hit the hot tub and massage rooms, then stroll down Park Ave, have a chardonnay and some brie... Razz

During the 1990's, I visited a younger friend at Rollins and she said it was time for water ski class. I carried her ski for her to the dock on campus, and the towboat arrived soon after. She skied for 6 minutes and her class was over. She skied a bit on the Rollins ski team which had several notable skiers on the team, Tawn and Britt Larson, Helena Kjelander, and Brenda Nichols Baldwin. She also competed on the sailing team.

During the visit, my friend pointed out the area for students to wash their cars. She said they'd make any food you requested at the dorm cafeteria, and prepare picnics for you on request.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post