SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help in deciding on whether to buy a Chromebook or not.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help in deciding on whether to buy a Chromebook or not. Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted
I'm thinking about getting a Chromebook in either the 11.6" or 14" size. I'd like a touchscreen and 360 degree foldable format. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
If it meets the requirements you have, I would suggest you go for it.

I purchased a ChromeBook and ChromeBox for my mom and her husband. For years they had Windows machines that were always difficult to manage due to updates and both of them clicking on links they should not click on.

Never have an issue now.

The only drawback for the setups they have - I bought them five years ago - is that they can not just plug in a printer. You have to go the cloud print route to print to a local printer and that printer needs to have the capability.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Have a bunch of Samsung Chromebooks for use in company. People like them a lot and they get used every day.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HH5VZTN/

This and the newer 64gb version...

Get a good stylus also.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072K428ZN

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Samsung makes the best Chromebooks.

I'd stick with that brand.

My wife and I tried one a few years ago and just couldn't get into it, but your experience may differ.

Posts: 33806 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one for awhile and it just had too many limitations for my needs. Some people love them but I'd just get something that runs windows. There's so much more that can be done with that os vs chrome.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I should have been more specific regarding my needs. I have a PC, 15" laptop and an 8" older tablet that I rarely use anymore. I'm just looking for a lightweight computer for viewing the internet, streaming and reading my Kindle books, that kind of thing. I'd probably only have 5-8 android apps. and that's it. Something in the $200-300 range will work for me.

Thanks, Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have an android phone, you have a mini chrome book.

Think of a larger screen and keyboard on your phone.

If you can do what you need on your phone you should be good to go on your chrome book.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I needed my old laptop PC when I had to configure a Polar bike computer but other than that I use my chromebook (acer). Just another way to browse the web and play videos other than the phone.

Posts: 3519 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I have a Chromebook and a Windows laptop. Full disclosure, I am an android guy.

Chromebook Pros - Lightweight, extraordinary battery life, uses the same USB C plug as my phone (one charger when I travel), great for travel. Boots crazy fast. If your needs are browser, email and Kindle it makes a great travel device.

Chromebook cons - though you can use Office, it isn't as functional as a Windows laptop (IMHO). Not all Android apps work as full screen. Minimal storage, really needs a network connection (WiFi), doesn't have a hardwire network connection (if you are old school).

I like my Chromebook and will likely keep it for light work and travel. Heavier work goes to my laptop.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
If you have an android phone, you have a mini chrome book.

Think of a larger screen and keyboard on your phone.

If you can do what you need on your phone you should be good to go on your chrome book.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. I use my Android phone a lot for web surfing and downloading videos etc. I like the idea of a larger screen and more flexibility with a keyboard and external speaker ability.

Does anyone have a Lenovo Chromebook? I like the Lenovo PC that I have and it's an indestructible tank.

Jim

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Okay, I've made up mind and after a lot of research I'm getting the Lenovo C330. The reviews are very positive and it is in my price range.

Thanks for the input guys,

Jim

Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
One of the best ways to use a chromebook is the Chrome Remote Desktop to view a more powerful machine.

Run your apps on the powerful machine and remote desktop into that machine using the Chromebook.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post