SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is this piece of music?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this piece of music? Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
In this commercial?

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqbtMeEa7sY

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky.

Played by the Boston Pops every year at the 4th of July Concert. It has cannons!

ETA: While popular for the 4th, it represents the Russian defeat of Napoleon's forces before Moscow.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
1812 Overture.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You're not from around here, are you?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
You're not from around here, are you?

Much better to ask than not know—especially something like that. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A very old joke: an intellectual is a person who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of the Lone Ranger. Razz This is another one of those pieces I've heard for many years but didn't know.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Music that includes a 105mm Howitzer has to be good.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Music that was written to commemorate defeating the French in battle has to be good.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
When I was in OCS in the late 60s at Ft. Benning, they actually tried that once.

It was Infantry Appreciation Day or something. They set up bleachers, invited all of the brass, etc. They had a display of force (gunships, artillery, firing M-60s until the barrels glowed, etc.) They had a band there to perform the Tchaikovsky 1812 overture. Sure enough, the cannon was a 105mm behind the bleachers. Everyone's ass was elevated about a foot into the air. Combat veterans dived into the dirt.

I doubt if they did that again. Big Grin

Edited to add: If anyone wants to listen to the entire piece, here is the best version I could find on YouTube (it is really excellent).

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/3Nyt6MVM3PU

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I attended a July 4th concert by the Richardson Symphony and they had real howitzers firing blanks. It was awesome. They used only 3 guns and their timing was absolutely flawless! You could say we had a blast! (And no one had a heart attack that I know of.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That's the music from Caddyshack when Carl Spackler blows up the gophers. He didn't even need a reason.

It is not the music from The Bad News Bears.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
At first I thought that was the red M&M. That's worse than not knowing Tchaikovsky.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
It's the jingle from an old commercial. "Quaker Oats - it's the cereal that's shot from guns."

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bn1IYlKiZk

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Here is the view of the 101st Field Artillery playing with the Boston Pops Orchestra on July 4, 2016...

Link:
www.YouTube.com/watch?v=DtXUj-09PME

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Heard it at Wolf Trap once when they actually used vintage cannon. And another time when there was a thunderstorm outside.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
When I was in OCS in the late 60s at Ft. Benning, they actually tried that once.

It was Infantry Appreciation Day or something. They set up bleachers, invited all of the brass, etc. They had a display of force (gunships, artillery, firing M-60s until the barrels glowed, etc.) They had a band there to perform the Tchaikovsky 1812 overture. Sure enough, the cannon was a 105mm behind the bleachers. Everyone's ass was elevated about a foot into the air. Combat veterans dived into the dirt.

I doubt if they did that again. Big Grin

Edited to add: If anyone wants to listen to the entire piece, here is the best version I could find on YouTube (it is really excellent).

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/3Nyt6MVM3PU

Thanks, excellent performance. This makes me wonder what the spirit was in the minds of the composers of the time? WTF, nothing better to do so I'll write the score on a few thousands pages for an orchestral piece that will last centuries...

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Eponym, that is comic relief.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post