Find
Notify
Tools

4100 pounds Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
of mixed scrap, a dab of aluminum, a few batteries and an electric motor: $182.90

Happy Wife cuz the scrap pile is cleaned up: Priceless.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
$183 worth of cheap beer is a good start to a new scrap pile.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I was hoping this was a thread about bacon.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I was thinking, now that's a big safe!

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
of mixed scrap, a dab of aluminum, a few batteries and an electric motor: $182.90

Happy Wife cuz the scrap pile is cleaned up: Priceless.

Scrap tin is so low right now, it's almost not worth it to save small stuff.

I still save old alarm batteries (7AH and 18AH most common), and often turn in several hundred pounds at a time. Same with turbine/vacuum motors and PC fans.

I have a clean brass box and also a stainless scrap box, but not enough to dump yet.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
4,100 pounds of mixed scrap, a dab of aluminum, a few batteries and an electric motor: $182.90

Sounds a lot like my first car.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
@ trapper189 - Big Grin, I can relate.

@ striker1 - Yeah, a whopping 4¢ a pound, but we've got the place on the market and I needed to clean up the mess. That's about a year's worth of debris from my various projects plus three lawn tractors I scrapped out for other folks and some HEAVY iron I've had laying around forever and never found a use for.

Of course, now that I've scrapped it, I'll need it desperately in the not too distant future.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Not a "your momma is so fat" joke

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
$183 worth of cheap beer is a good start to a new scrap pile.

Hah. Big Grin

Shortly after I retired from the Navy, I was scrounging for parts for a '65 Chevy short bed stepside pickup I had.

Hit the local junkyard and wandered into the "office". 3 or 4 guys in there, standing around bullshitting and drinking beer, tossing the empties into an over flowing 55 gallon drum.

The proprietor is a fella I knew in passing and he knew me well enough to ask "Well, Paul, what're you going to do now that you're retired?"

I sez "Well, I thought I'd open a junk yard and sit around and drink beer all day."

He chuckled and said "I wouldn't drink near as much as I do if I didn't need the money from the returnables so bad!"

I hate it when I get out-wiseassed...

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

No, but since you bring it up, do you know the difference between a Downeast woman and a moose?
About 50 pounds and a flannel shirt.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No, but since you bring it up, do you know the difference between a Downeast woman and a moose?

Moose Head.

In Canada it's a beer. In Maine, a felony. Big Grin

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Moose Head.

Okay, that's a new one! ROFFLE MAO!

Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, now that I've scrapped it, I'll need it desperately in the not too distant future.

that a given'

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The one back home has two scales, one going in and a different one coming out. So the error could be in their favor.

While the error would not matter if you are using the same scale since you are measuring the difference.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I've got quite a pile of cans and copper but it hasn't been worth it to go sell in years. Frown

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I've got quite a pile of cans and copper but it hasn't been worth it to go sell in years. Frown

Cans as scrap aluminum aren't worth bending over to pick up.

Cans as returnables @ 5¢ a pop (arrrrr, humor) are a bit more realistic. SWMBO and I walk a minimum of 2 miles a day and we take a grabber and a pocket full of WalMart bags and pick up cans as we walk. Good for about $80 a month...

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
When prices were up a few years back, I drove my old Buick onto the scale and pulled the plates off to put on a Olds. It cost me a total of $2.00 to drive that Buick for 2 years. When they picked it up with a large fork lift, I thought I would cry.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:

Cans as scrap aluminum aren't worth bending over to pick up.

Cans as returnables @ 5¢ a pop (arrrrr, humor) are a bit more realistic. SWMBO and I walk a minimum of 2 miles a day and we take a grabber and a pocket full of WalMart bags and pick up cans as we walk. Good for about $80 a month...

I remember (back in my day *shakes cane* get off my lawn) when aluminum cans would bring 45-55 cents a pound. My sister and I made good money off those drunks dumping cans out of their cars on our dead end road.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
quote:

Moose Head.

Yup, you have been watching Northwoods Law

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Back of my van has a bunch of attic fan motors. I get 75¢ each for them. Some scrap Al and Cu too. I get $20-80 a month for the scrap. I don't do it for the money, it's trash from work. Not worth the effort, I do it to be green. I like recycling, saves gas, oil, electricity. I like voluntarily being green, hate being told to do so. My little effort to save the planet.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post