SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Special type of ultraviolet light could kill flu virus in public places
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Special type of ultraviolet light could kill flu virus in public places Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
Hurry up science!

quote:

Special ultraviolet lamps may be the solution to stopping one of the worst flu seasons in years.

Far ultraviolet-C (far-UVC) light can kill airborne flu viruses without hurting humans, according to new research.

Researchers at Columbia University tested the far-UVC light in a chamber that simulated the conditions of a public space and found that it effectively killed the flu virus in the air. Their findings were published in Scientific Reports.

Different from UV light, which is known to kill germs but can cause cancer and cataracts in humans, far-UVC doesn’t pose a health hazard. The lights could hypothetically be installed in hospitals, schools and offices to stop the spread of the flu.

“Far-UVC light has a very limited range and cannot penetrate through the outer dead-cell layer of human skin or the tear layer in the eye, so it’s not a human health hazard,” David J. Brenner, the lead author of the study, said in a press release. “But because viruses and bacteria are much smaller than human cells, far-UVC light can reach their DNA and kill them.”

The researchers previously tested far-UVC light on the MRSA superbug and reported that it killed the bacteria without harming human skin.

Brenner believes the light could kill off all strains of the flu virus, as well as future strains or other unknown airborne illnesses.

“If our results are confirmed in other settings,” Brenner said. “It follows that the use of overhead low-level far-UVC light in public locations would be a safe and efficient method for limiting the transmission and spread of airborne-mediated microbial diseases, such as influenza and tuberculosis.”

https://nypost.com/2018/02/09/...us-in-public-places/

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Also, the Japanese have developed a pill that ends flu symptoms in 24 hrs.
It won't be available for a year.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/e...-in-a-day-1518264004

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
Over time, wouldn't this make a stronger, more virulent flu?

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This will give the tinfoil hat crowd something new to claim as a government conspiracy- they're trying to sterilize you at the grocery store or some such crap.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few ambulances that have these. The back of the truck lights up as bright as the sun when it's activated.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGguy229:

Over time, doesn't a stronger more virulent flu just develop by itself?

We weaken ourselves and our children by Purelling the shit out of everything and not exposing them to "unclean" circumstances, or even foods. Antibacterial soap is a mistake, unless you're going to perform open heart surgery.

Go out in the world and skin a knee once in a while, or be among the first to die in the global pandemic of "the sniffles."

The whole world will kill you eventually. Delaying that, means living in it, not inside a sterile bubble of cleansers.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:

Over time, doesn't a stronger more virulent flu just develop by itself?

We weaken ourselves and our children by Purelling the shit out of everything and not exposing them to "unclean" circumstances, or even foods. Antibacterial soap is a mistake, unless you're going to perform open heart surgery.

Go out in the world and skin a knee once in a while, or be among the first to die in the global pandemic of "the sniffles."

The whole world will kill you eventually. Delaying that, means living in it, not inside a sterile bubble of cleansers.

Agreed. We sterilize the sh** out if everything. How about washing your hands in just water and let your normal body function like it was intended.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Killing all the bacteria on your skin would be very bad for you. A light to sterilize surfaces would be a good idea, though

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This will give the tinfoil hat crowd something new to claim as a government conspiracy- they're trying to sterilize you at the grocery store or some such crap.

I really am not worried about steriiization, but it could make my penis smaller and that is a big concern! Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I think they're after our precious bodily fluids.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
UV is already being used extensively in hospitals.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
but it could make my penis smaller and that is a big concern! Big Grin

Who would notice? Or are you one of those pervs that flashes it everywhere? Big Grin

OK, back to a more serious note: My long since employer needed our maintenance man to do some modifications to his furnace. He installed UV lighting inside his air ducts (his furnace ducts). Because he croaked back in 2006, its been on the market for some time now. Maybe its a secret the now healthy ones are keeping so they out live the rest of us?

I personally believe alcohol kills bacteria on contact. How else would hand cleaner work? The problem being we drink up all the alcohol we get. Now they want to use UV light out and about. Kind of like sunshine? OK, why can't we just waste a little bourbon in a home humidifier? Would that kill us or just make us drunk from the fumes. We already know it makes distillery workers to get toasty after an 8 or so hour long shift in the barrel houses.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
UV is already being used extensively in hospitals.

I remember ready about hospitals utilizing robots to bathe vacated rooms and surgical suites with UV light to sanitize.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is also being used in the commercial food industry to keep ingredients from spoiling. We used nitrogen blankets on top of storage tanks for oils and circulated it through a UV chamber with a glass tube to kill bacteria during storage. This kept oxygen off the surface of the oil and then killed any bugs that were in it while in holding.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2876 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Ironically, that is the crowd that is needing sterilization.

Posts: 518 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
UV is used in domestic water supplies to kill bacterial and other organics. The bacteria aren’t becoming UV resistant, just like they aren’t becoming alcohol resistant.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
We weaken ourselves and our children by Purelling the shit out of everything and not exposing them to "unclean" circumstances, or even foods.

Not exposing yourself or your kids to something like campylobacter from the dog isn't going to make them weaker. Getting salmonella from their pet turtle may not be so good for them either.

I agree that kids should be allowed to be kids but there are vector transmissions that everyone should avoid if possible. If that means a quick splash with purell, OK, count me in. It's cheap.
I don't feel any desire to eat Julio's shit (he just crossed our southern fence after coming from El Salvador) because he touched the gas pump 30 seconds after taking a dump and thinks hand washing is only for gringos.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Once of these things can roam your house and sanitize while you sleep...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTQzn3wFD98

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
This is apparently VERY old news. Dates back to 1937, according to this company, which has been manufacturing UVC sterilization systems since the 60s.

https://www.americanultraviole...uired-infection.cfml

Mrs.BurtonRW’s hospital has had a few of the robots for the last several years now. They only use them for particularly nasty rooms (think isolation precautions) between patients because they take at least an hour to cycle and you’re not supposed to be in there with them.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not really. It's not the same thing as antibiotics. Plus viruses don't do well outside a host. They aren't reproducing on dirty surfaces.

And actually viruses generally get weaker over time. It's evolutionary. It doesn't make sense to kill your host when you need him to survive.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post