SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Switch From Roku To Apple TV?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Switch From Roku To Apple TV? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I have an opportunity to get a new Apple TV streamer for a decent price and my Roku3 is getting up there in age, though we do love it and it works great.

We were given an older iMac I am going to refurbish and make into our house computer and both my wife and I use iPhones. I'm wondering if the Apple TV would work better for us?

Has anyone gone from Roku TO Apple TV?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
The newest Roku ultimate is astoundingly better than my old roku.

Might want a newer Roku device.

I bought the top-end one and has addressed all the issues I had with the older unit.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Nope.
I have a Roku 3 and an LT that work just fine. Though the LT is getting a little long in the tooth and will likely be replaced soon as most of the apps have stopped updating for the LT. I also have an Amazon FireTV (1st gen) that I like better than the Rokus but my understanding is the newer ones aren’t as good.
Just got an XBOX One that will do all my 4K streaming.

My bro has an AppleTV and I see no need for it. The Rokus do what it does and more minus Airplay and iTunes but I don’t use those.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25357 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my Apple TV box, never get that stupid buffering pauses during streaming of movies..

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I have both- have to say there are good things about both the Apple TV and the Roku. I like the aspect of being to use Apple devices with the TV pretty seamlessly. The Roku has been very easy to use, although some of the app "providers" require you to log back into their system on some schedule (monthly?) using the access code.

In my case I would probably swing towards a new Apple TV based on using/sharing the other devices-

Does your imac support Airplay? Most all Macbook Pros after 2010 support it, but I'm not sure about which iMacs.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in this topic as well. I'm currently on a Roku 3. It does fine for Amazon and Netflix, but DirectTV Now at times buffers a lot. I know it's not my internet connection, so I figure it's the app, or DirectTV's systems.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
I'm interested in this topic as well. I'm currently on a Roku 3. It does fine for Amazon and Netflix, but DirectTV Now at times buffers a lot. I know it's not my internet connection, so I figure it's the app, or DirectTV's systems.

I have Sony vue and it buffers a little, also have roku 3. If I stream showtime or Netflix it never buffers. I’m either going to upgrade to the new Apple TV or roku ultimate and going back and forth between the 2 since I have a lot of apple devices

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I actually use both on both of our TV’s. Redundant, I know.. but I use Apple TV for all our movie purchases and iTunes related stuff. Roku for the things it’s good for too. Kind of a toss up if I had to choose. If youre entrenched in the Apple world, well then that’s the way I’d go. If your Roku is just old, then I’d try the newest/fastest one of those.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
although some of the app "providers" require you to log back into their system on some schedule (monthly?) using the access code.

I have seen that firsthand on my Roku 3. I assumed it happened everytime the app was updated or as a security measure to make sure that the logged in user was still credentialed to use the app. Meaning they still had a valid cable subscription. I have an iphone and have stuck with Roku because it works so well, and there seem to be more apps out there for it. One big negative for me was not having access to my itunes video library on the Roku, but now with Movies Anywhere that issue has been resolved. Personally I see no need to switch from Roku to Apple TV. I dont even really see a need to replace my Roku anytime soon, as it is still working like a champ.

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Apple TV and had a Roku XS (I think) several years ago. No regrets. I do most of my watching on Amazon or Netflix so I don't really miss the other apps Roku had and of course iTunes can get me current season stuff.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
iPhone/iPad/Mac work seamlessly with the Atv. You can run stuff right on your phone and display it on the tv, or simply use the phone as a remote.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
iPhone/iPad/Mac work seamlessly with the Atv. You can run stuff right on your phone and display it on the tv, or simply use the phone as a remote.

Roku has an app that you can use your iPhone or tablet as a remote for it as well. Can’t airplay though.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
We swapped a few years ago and have been super happy with the Apple TV. We have iphones, ipads and two macbook pros and the whole experience is so convenient (airplay, itunes store purchases, shared media library, etc.)

If you are even partially in the Apple echo sphere it really is the best way to go. We never get buffering or wonky app logins.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Roku has an app that you can use your iPhone or tablet as a remote for it as well. Can’t airplay though.

Yup. I use AirPlay an awful lot, especially to watch MotoGP races. The ATV allowed me to finally watch them on the TV instead of a computer. I have 3 of them. Two of them I got for free with points. The third I paid $79. I will upgrade to 4k versions the next time they release an updated box.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I have a love/hate relationship with our Roku 3. It works well enough, but...

• The UI during streaming sucks (FF/Rew)
  • The wireless remote is "ok," but IR remotes don't work that well and have no "*" key, which limits usability
  • The DLNA app is pretty poor
  • They won't natively stream anything except HLS (HTTP Live Streaming). So, for example: Can't use it with the Silicon Dust HD HomeRun devices

I'd consider Apple TV, save the things are so bloody expensive.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
From what I'm reading at amazon, most are very happy with Apple TV. Buffering doesn't seem to be an issue.

I'll be picking one up this weekend. Having my Roku 3 keep buffering DirectTV Now last night during The Americans, which is almost to the series finale, was extremely maddening. I missed big chunks of key conversations.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
In researching the Apple TV vs the Roku, it seems like in all reviews I'm seeing the Roku always wins and while the Roku seems to get updates and new models all the time, the ATV seems pretty stagnant like Apple really isn't interested in it any longer?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can't use it with the Silicon Dust HD HomeRun devices

This is why I use Apple TV

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
quote:
Can't use it with the Silicon Dust HD HomeRun devices

This is why I use Apple TV

Not to haul this thread off course, but do you get DD/DTS from the Apple TV device from the HDHR?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Ok, so I'm just starting to research Apple TV devices. Probably going to go with 3rd Gen, because they can be had relatively inexpensively and they still had a digital audio output.

So I'm wondering: "Can I use my controls-everything-under-the-Sun programmable/learning remote?" Do a search and discover...

Your remote doesn't have to know or learn the Apple TV. The Apple TV can be taught whatever set of IR commands you want! Say you've got a remote that's got a "Sat" mode you don't use. You can teach the Apple TV to use that mode's set of IR commands.

How cool is that? Smile

If Apple TV can get the past PBS programs my wife wants, and OAN, I think our Roku 3 may be going away soon.

Update

Well, that got killed right quick Frown No OAN on Apple TV Gen. 3. Gen. 4 has no digital audio output and is too expensive.

The search for an acceptable streaming device continues.