SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Switch From Roku To Apple TV?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Switch From Roku To Apple TV? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
With the exception of airplay my ROKU3s are superior in every way for me personally.

I just like almost everything about them better and like I said I am running older 3s and a 2 across the house.

I do miss airplay though.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7670 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
The AppleTV integrates better into the Apple "eco-system." The AppleTV allows "Family Sharing" where you can stream content that is on your iMac thru iTunes to the TV. I've got 6 TB of MPEGS and I make playlists in iTunes and can see those PL on the AppleTV and can play anything in my MPEG library.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
I'm interested in this topic as well. I'm currently on a Roku 3. It does fine for Amazon and Netflix, but DirectTV Now at times buffers a lot. I know it's not my internet connection, so I figure it's the app, or DirectTV's systems.

I have Sony vue and it buffers a little, also have roku 3. If I stream showtime or Netflix it never buffers. I’m either going to upgrade to the new Apple TV or roku ultimate and going back and forth between the 2 since I have a lot of apple devices

I have a fire tv 2nd gen & sony vue. Not one bit of trouble. I move it around between 3 tvs.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
The "new" app buttons on Roku, where you can't even choose which ones and will always be wrong for what I want, mean I won't upgrade from the one I have.

I did get a new Apple TV and have been using it for about 6 months. There's things I like about it and things I don't. The touchpad is a little too sensitive for my wife's taste.

I'd say both are nice, and it's just personal preference.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Picked up an Apple TV 4K 64Gb last night. So far it's been nearly flawless. It's very polished and IMO a significant upgrade from my Roku 3, especially regarding the Direct TV Now app. Streaming has been almost perfect, whereas I had, at times, almost unbearable buffering when using DTV Now on the Roku 3.

It seems much "smarter" than my Roku in that it automatically turns my Samsung TV and soundbar on and off when I use the Apple remote to wake/sleep Apple TV, and the remote directly controls the volume of the soundbar. So, I can put the TV remote in a drawer and just used the Apple remote for daily use, with my iPhone as a backup. I'm sure I'll use the built-in iTunes and podcast players.

Very good purchase for my scenario.

Edit: Also, Siri is really helpful. I've been using it to get to the Settings screen a lot, and also for search, and entering passwords.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Anybody tried the “Amazon Fire TV” not the Stick?

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have used all of the devices available at one time or another. My favorites are the Fire TV and Apple TV. Both are the generation just before the current ones. I see no reason to update as my internet’s speed is limited to 10 MPS (thanks Centurytel). We carry the current Firestick TV with us on trips and find it very good for the price.

If my internet as faster, I’d upgrade both my Apple and Fire TVs.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Picked up an Apple TV 4K 64Gb last night. ...

It seems much "smarter" than my Roku in that it automatically turns my Samsung TV and soundbar on and off when I use the Apple remote to wake/sleep Apple TV, and the remote directly controls the volume of the soundbar.

That's HDMI-CEC. Different devices support it to differing degrees. Some not at all.

Our Roku 3 is kind of weird. The TV thinks the Roku box supports HDMI-CEC, but it doesn't really appear to. (One of my many frustrations with the Roku 3.) Our Sony Blueray player supports it to some degree. (E.g.: Turning the BD player on/off, or switching to the BD player if it's off, does the right thing.) The Channel Master DVR+ supports it not at all. (And never will, now that it's been discontinued.)

The Amazon TV device I'm playing with I believe supports it, but the TV I'm using to eval the device does not, so I'm unsure. (Eventually I'll try it on the big TV in the family room as part of the eval process.)

quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
Anybody tried the “Amazon Fire TV” not the Stick?

The new pendant thing? I considered it. It's only $5 more than the MiBox I've got sitting here. It's one of the recommended devices for use with a Silicon Dust HD HomeRun OTA tuner/streamer, but it has no digital audio out, which I need.

It's Android TV with Amazon-specific stuff layered atop it. What it will have, that Android TV devices do not, is Amazon Prime and OAN.

Trying to find a streamer that will do everything I want has been a more frustrating experience than it should be, and it's all due to everybody trying to lock people into their solution. It's annoying.

Couple that with the industry's HDMI-HDCP and it makes for truly frustrating consumer experiences.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post