SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    King Arthur ~ Why Dogs are the Greatest

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
King Arthur ~ Why Dogs are the Greatest Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted
There is nothing like the love and loyalty of a dog ~ nothing.
Just watched a feature on ESPN how a dog in followed a Sweden Hiking team ~ a frail, injured dog for 100 miles in Ecuador.
After losing my Boxer last year ~ the memory of how important this loyalty is had me in tears the whole time.

Brief Summary

Before

After

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/pet...llowed-me-100-miles/

Full ESPN Link

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A nice story. Couldn't they have had a human bean narrate it though?

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
A great dog story!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Slight slide here. Grew up with dogs, love dogs always had dogs. Never had a cat, hated cats never wanted a cat. Had some severe allergies to cats. Scraggly, scrawny, dirty blond tabby stray walks out of the woods onto our back porch. I chase it away every morning for a week or so, keeps coming back. I confront and accuse wife and daughter of feeding said cat.
I get smiles and giggles. "Oh Daddy can we keep him". I say maybe, depends on what you name him and it better be good. After 3-4 days with no influence, daughter says she wants to name him Trigger. What a beautiful, intelligent, engaging
affectionate cat. Awesome hunter. Spends nights outside, comes in for food and love, has a wooded kitty playground as he pleases. He has a real sweet gig. And the bonus, not a single sniffle or sneeze. I'm at a loss, no allergic reaction. He is family now Kitty karma hit me hard.

Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
Nice story and cute dog

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Report This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Dbltap, I had heard of cats like the one you describe, but I had never met one. Every cat I ever met was selfish and uninterested. But, finally, my neighbor adopted a cat and he was amazing. We surmised that poor Charlie got the wrong information, and actually believed he was a dog. If I could have a cat like Charlie, I'd have one. But, he'd have to have the personality of a dog - loving and caring and appreciative.

Well, like the dog in the video. Cool

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Report This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That's sweet. And the dog deserved his payback.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
What a great dog, with a fantastic temperament and sense of loyalty.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The part where I lost it when after hiking 30 or 40 miles thru all kinds of terrain and they had to take the Kayak up(maybe down) the river and they were supposed to have leave him behind (rules or something like that).
They said "good bye" and shoved off down the river.
Then SPASH ~ King Arthur starts swimming next to them in the dark.
(losing it now as I type Frown ).

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
The part where I lost it when after hiking 30 or 40 miles thru all kinds of terrain and they had to take the Kayak up(maybe down) the river and they were supposed to have leave him behind (rules or something like that).
They said "good bye" and shoved off down the river.
Then SPASH ~ King Arthur starts swimming next to them in the dark.
(losing it now as I type Frown ).

Me too, amazing story and what a dog!

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
GREAT story. Thank you for sharing it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Loyalty is one of the greatest qualities in the world. And dogs have it in spades.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post