SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My HOA...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My HOA... Login/Join 
posted
My HOA is pretty harmless and relatively inexpensive. As long as you keep your front yard weed/trash/junk free and take your trash cans in within 48 hrs of pickup they pretty much leave you alone. But who really runs these shit shows?
I can’t remember the last time I had to mail something with a stamp but near as I can tell, stamps and first class mail go for .55 cents a pop. Today I got a bill for a late fee on our quarterly payment. The late fee was, I shit you not, .50 cents. Who really loses money when collecting fees? And if they think I’m spending .55 cents to pay a .50 cent late fee, they’re fooked!

Posts: 246 | Location: Damn it's hot! | Registered: September 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
They are going to fook you until you pay.

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Believe me...they would put a lien on your house over $0.50. Just go give your HOA president a roll of pennies... Smile

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Believe me...they would put a lien on your house over $0.50. Just go give your HOA president a roll of pennies... Smile

No kidding.

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Consider yourself lucky the late fee is only fiddy cent.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah... pay the 50 cents.

If they slap a lien on the property, you don't want that last minute mother of all F-Ups coming to bite you when you're trying to close on selling the property. It's not worth the hassle and delay. Doubt they would put a lien for 50 cents...but are you willing to risk it??

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Think of this: It cost them $.55 to send you a $.50 bill

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:

and have them mail you a receipt!!!LOL

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’m fortunate to have an excellent board at my HOA. I serve on the board, mainly to provide support for the board president. She’s been president for many years and does such a good job – we’re lucky to have her. Serving on the board is a thankless duty.

I have my bank account set up to automatically send the monthly HOA fee.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8936 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Send them a check for 51 cents so that they can spend some time accounting for the penny that doesn't belong.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Were you late on the payment? I think most of the utility companies charge a 3% fee on late payments. I would suck it up and pay the 50 cents.

Im sure its spelled out in your HOA agreement. Think of the recent posts here about the $25 admin charge for the toll road violations.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChasinTails:

near as I can tell, stamps and first class mail go for .55 cents a pop. Today I got a bill for a late fee on our quarterly payment. The late fee was, I shit you not, .50 cents . . . if they think I’m spending .55 cents to pay a .50 cent late fee, they’re fooked!
Do you use your bank or credit union's Online Bill Pay? If so, you won't have to buy a stamp.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
You'll get more mileage out of that roll of pennies if you put it in a sock.

Posts: 6459 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's a typo, and was meant to be $50.00.

I think I'd pay it by mail and forget about it.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dynorat:

Fifty bucks is pretty heavy for a late fee. I think late fees for the HOA where I live are somewhere around ten bucks.

The fifty cents that ChasinTails reported sounds more like interest, than a late penalty fee.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:

His point is that they lost 5 cents on the deal sending him a bill that was less than the .55 cent stamp they used to send the letter.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:

His point is that they lost 5 cents on the deal sending him a bill that was less than the .55 cent stamp they used to send the letter.

At least in Michigan we cannot waive fees associated with a HOA for one member unless we do it for all members. This is written in our state laws regarding HOA and also our by-laws. Only time that back dues and liens can be waived is during foreclosure, this we found out during the mortgage crisis a few years ago.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pay it. Move on.

Anything else will cost you a lot more.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I underpaid my Maricopa County Dog Licensing Fee by 25 cents. I received an overdue notice for 25 cents mailed to me with 49 cents of postage.

I chalked it up to government idiocy. I wouldn't think an HOA would make the same financially poor decision.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
The snail mail may be a requirement in the HOA bylaws. It is in mine at least. Still, common sense would suggest that the president or treasurer talk to you prior to spending on the stamp. You could make them send you snail mail notice, but it sounds like you wouldn’t do that just to be difficult.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post