SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This is sad...David Lee Roth trying to perform
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is sad...David Lee Roth trying to perform Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
That video performance was terrible. Is he hard up for money?

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:

Uh Huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbhCPt6PZIU

Mark posted some thoughtful critique and you responded with a dismissive comment, and a link to a Zeppelin video. Strawman, false equivalency, and more. If you disagree, then you can disagree, but be aware the video you linked was in the “jet era” where they had a permanent, salaried young lady work on the jet whose only job was to serve cocaine, cocktail waitress style. Hardly the same situation.

quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
I do not have a dawg in this fight, but good luck with that.....

You sure seem to. Or rather, you’re a fan who is struggling with seeing one of his heroes fall. People in the music industry have been laughing at Diamond Dave for decades, and even more so in the last decade or so. I’d probably get sued if I repeated the things I’ve heard. He needs to retire. But I really wouldn’t be at all shocked if he can’t, and needs the work.

You know who from that era is absolutely raking in the cash and smashing ass, and has been for some time now? John Bon Jovi. No shit.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

This is what happens when you piss off your sound guy before the show...

down goes the volume of the recorded track from 30 years ago and up goes the volume on the "dead" mic David thought he was using just to lip sync the song.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blueshep
posted Hide Post
Some can and some can’t! Went to Electric Light Orchestra last year and Jeff Lynne the lead singer is 72 years old and man he was awesome!

----------------------------------------
NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 1467 | Location: Northeast,Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is painful. Way too late for a farewell tour.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Even in his prime, he sucked. I never understood the attraction. Lots of people do embarassing jobs to pay the bills. He's far from alone.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the Hagar Best of Both Worlds clip, you can hear Michael Anthony's distinctive high background vocals. He can still sing, and was a big part of the Van Halen sound. Too bad they never did a "reunion" tour with him.

I saw DLR with Eddie, Alex, and Wolfgang twice in 2007 or so and 2012. It was worth it to see Eddie play sober and Dave was as campy as ever with the same old jokes. He sang better than the Vegas clip though, but yeah he was never really a good singer.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Truth
Picture of Luis
posted Hide Post
To me he looks tired at this performance. The voice doesn't work too well for singing when one is tired. But IMO I think the biggest problem Van Halen had with him is that he stopped singing the vocal how it was originally recorded.

DLR has a great voice. Most would agree. And most would also agree that they would like to hear the Van Halen tunes without all the jumping around and melismatic, improvisatory stuff in the vocal. Or whatever it is. I don't even know. I just know that id have liked to go to a Van Halen DLR performance where he just sang the damned songs how they were recorded.

Posts: 4328 | Location: A hop, skip and a jump from the bayou. S East Tx, USA | Registered: October 13, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luis:
To me he looks tired at this performance. The voice doesn't work too well for singing when one is tired. But IMO I think the biggest problem Van Halen had with him is that he stopped singing the vocal how it was originally recorded.

You mean with all those high pitched shrieks, screeches, and wailing? Yeah. He burnt the candle twice as fast. The candle is burnt out. Like I said, he didn't build a 40 year career into those records. You know any 70 year old's running around trying to produce those sounds? I don't. I'm only 36 and have done irreparable damage to my vocal cords from vocal fry pushed too hard.

quote:
DLR has a great voice. Most would agree.

This is an extremely subjective statement. Most would agree.

quote:
And most would also agree that they would like to hear the Van Halen tunes without all the jumping around and melismatic, improvisatory stuff in the vocal. Or whatever it is. I don't even know. I just know that id have liked to go to a Van Halen DLR performance where he just sang the damned songs how they were recorded.

You mean having DLR do his job of singing the song instead of trying to distract from the fact that he can't, and hasn't been able to for decades?

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
The glory days. No, his singing isn't great here either. But the energy in that place is amazing.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I think all- all- old rockers should stop touring, stop having any shows at all. Retire. Retire fully and immediately. They should get normal hair cuts, wear normal clothes. There's little in this world that's sadder than some old guy still trying to dress and behave like their brash, youthful self.

If I want to hear their music, I'll listen to their recordings.

Grow up. Stop conning people with your wrinkly old bullshit, your receding hairline and your failing memory. It's not rock and roll. It's sad, that's what it is. It's never again going to be 1985, and flailing around with your arthritic knees on some stage isn't going to change that.

Everyone grows old. Be a man and accept this unavoidable truth. Take off the clown suit. Take your wife or girlfriend to dinner. Just be normal.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

The Truth
Picture of Luis
posted Hide Post
P220 smudge. Since you feel it necessary to pick apart my opinion/post as you have done, which I feel is very disrespectful, then you and I can speak privately. That is all.

Posts: 4328 | Location: A hop, skip and a jump from the bayou. S East Tx, USA | Registered: October 13, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
P220 smudge. Since you feel it necessary to pick apart my opinion/post as you have done, which I feel is very disrespectful, then you and I can speak privately. That is all.

I feel like I was disagreeing with you in a polite and respectful manner, and if I'm wrong, then I'm very confident that the site staff will agree with you. If you simply aren't used to being disagreed with, that is not my problem. That is all.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Wow, that was pretty painful to watch. I gave it to the chorus then called it quits.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I think all- all- old rockers should stop touring, stop having any shows at all. Retire. Retire fully and immediately. They should get normal hair cuts, wear normal clothes. There's little in this world that's sadder than some old guy still trying to dress and behave like their brash, youthful self.

If I want to hear their music, I'll listen to their recordings.

Grow up. Stop conning people with your wrinkly old bullshit, your receding hairline and your failing memory. It's not rock and roll. It's sad, that's what it is. It's never again going to be 1985, and flailing around with your arthritic knees on some stage isn't going to change that.

Everyone grows old. Be a man and accept this unavoidable truth. Take off the clown suit. Take your wife or girlfriend to dinner. Just be normal.

Para, your comment doesn’t lack truth, but you fail to remember one very valid, important detail...

Without these tours, how would they pay for the coke? It’s not like it’s cheap.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Truly Sad

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite podcasts, who are these podcasts, reviewed the podcast he's is putting out to support his Vegas stint.

It is laughably horrific and worth checking out who are these podcasts to listen to them mercilessly rip on him.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
One of my favorite podcasts, who are these podcasts, reviewed the podcast here is putting out to support his Vegas stint.

It is laughably horrific and worth checking out who are these podcasts to listen to them mercilessly rip on him.
Say what?

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
One of my favorite podcasts, who are these podcasts, reviewed the podcast here is putting out to support his Vegas stint.

Say what?

"I don't know" is on second base.
That's all I can make of it.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post