SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This is sad...David Lee Roth trying to perform
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is sad...David Lee Roth trying to perform Login/Join 
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
He like many others would be better off doing tv commercials. But it would have to be for a certain age group or his celeb would be of no benefit to the sponsor. Maybe false teeth adhesive? Razz

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
The sad thing is that it doesn't have to be like that. Genetics play a role in aging, but so does lifestyle. It is possible for singers, even at 70, to be able to perform well.

What Diamond Dave did was arguably never “singing,” and there sure as Hell wasnt a 40 year career built into it.

I never liked what he did with his voice, even though I liked Van Halen, I liked Van Hagar more.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
What was heard cannot be unheard. That was a memorable performance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
His Joe Rogan interview was one big bloviate.

To his credit, he's done a bunch of stuff away and unrelated to music: paramedic, big-wall climber, fluent in Spanish and some Japanese; problem is he'll tell you all about it without any prompting. That interview with Rogan was very exhausting. Dave was that kid in school, who wouldn't stop talking, had to give you his opinion on everything and got involved with every activity eventually becoming the center of attention due to his over-talking everyone.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
He’ll improve as he learns the song. If he wasn’t having a bad night and this is typical for him now, I can boast I can sing better than Diamond Dave.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
That video was awful. He's past Old Timer's Day. I don't go to concerts nowadays, even though I did see ELO last year, which was excellent for a senior citizen like Jeff Lynne. The only other "senior classic" concert I have see was Fleetwood Mac a few years ago when Christine McVie rejoined and it was kind of pathetic to see 70 year olds trying to recreate their 20s.

I have always liked DLR, IMO his albums with Van Halen were best. I don't own any Van Hagar stuff. I always found Roth to be an interesting rock star; he is obviously very bright, yet has a big mouth. He is a keen mixture of low brow and high brow, knowledgable about vaudeville and 1950s musicals as well as speed metal. Like corsair posted, he leads an eclectic life outside of music. When 90s grunge made him unemployable, he became a full-time EMT in New York City for a few years. And of course he spent a lot of money on African safaris, Himalayan mountain expeditions, etc. And the guy has been a Tokyo resident for years.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That was horrid.

Vonfatmann mentioned Buffett. I haven't seen him in 20 years, but there was a live track from him on Pandora the other day, and it was awful. No range, flat, and it sounded like he phoned it in.

I haven't heard Ian Anderson live in a long time, but I'm sad to hear that he was bad also.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
good lord. is that some kind of joke/parody? Can't believe anyone would sit and listen to that yet alone pay for it.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B52Wing
posted Hide Post
I saw Bad Company (Paul Rodgers) this past summer. He sounded pretty good for 70 years old.

Posts: 132 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Yes this is horrid, but my guess is the sound had a lot to do with it. He starts in a different key, and his timing is off. I bet he simply heard way too much drums, and could not near enough guitar and bass.

The guy cannot sing anymore, but is still a professional with years of experience. Hard to understand why he couldn't sing in the right key - not hearing sound is my only explanation.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I made it 54 seconds. I was a big fan back in the day. Loved Van Hagar also.

Sad to see this. He was a loon back then and the years have not been kind.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I respect the history.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
That was horrid.

Vonfatmann mentioned Buffett. I haven't seen him in 20 years, but there was a live track from him on Pandora the other day, and it was awful. No range, flat, and it sounded like he phoned it in.

The difference here is that Buffett was never good. Van Halen was great at one point.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Dave was never a great singer live. His studio work had a lot of help from Ted Templeman too. Now he's too old to put on the stage show that used to make up for his poor singing. So he really needs to retire. It's no wonder VH doesn't want to tour with him anymore. Last time I saw them was in 2012 and he was pretty rough then, but the rest of the band were right on.

In an aside, the guitar player Dave has now, Al Estrada, is one of the best EVH clones out there. Not many can play it as well as he does. And in some poetic justice, the DLR-impersonator I used to play with has also gone out to LA a few times to play with Al, hoping they would eventually become the next Atomic Punks. But no, Al got a gig with the real DLR. Love it.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
That was horrid.

The difference here is that Buffett was never good. Van Halen was great at one point.
preach it brother

Mentioning VH and Jimmy effing Buffet in the same thread merits a roundhouse kick to the balls.

Big Grin

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
That is horrendous. Of course, even in his prime no one would have accused him of being a great vocalist. He was a showman with a lot of charisma, but never much of a singer. Also looks like he might be on something more than that whiskey. But who knows. He's a strange bird. I'd like to think the sound was maybe a tad better in that room live - sounds like a terrible mix and/or recording too.

At his age, he could also stand to stop dressing like a ringmaster and get some jeans and a decent Oxford.

Posts: 965 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I'm embarrassed for him. Go. Just ride off into the sunset.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
All that really matters, musically, , is what he did in his prime, no? What else really matters, after that fact?

Would you be embarrassed if you had to make a buck to feed your family, after your prime?

Jesus, Christ. Think like a Christian, my friends.DLR and Eddie were The Band.

Who cares how good a singer he is now?? The man made a good living when he could. Do not kick him to the curb just because he is over and out. Just my take

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
DLR was never great in Van Halen. He didn't come into his own until "Eat 'em and Smile" and that was lightning in a bottle. He tried to do the lounge singer thing with "Just a Gigilo" and "California Girls" and that whole bit was pretty sad, too.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
His Joe Rogan interview was one big bloviate.

To his credit, he's done a bunch of stuff away and unrelated to music: paramedic, big-wall climber, fluent in Spanish and some Japanese; problem is he'll tell you all about it without any prompting. That interview with Rogan was very exhausting. Dave was that kid in school, who wouldn't stop talking, had to give you his opinion on everything and got involved with every activity eventually becoming the center of attention due to his over-talking everyone.

DLR is also a devout martial arts afficianado and has a dōjō in his home.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post