SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where do you get your special cheese?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where do you get your special cheese? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
If it were my sister, no matter what wonderful cheese(s) I chose, I would hide them and set this out first.

I had similar thoughts about putting out a chunk of velveta and a sleeve of saltines!!

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook CLE's own West Side Market. Several cheese stands there. I stock up every other month as I'm 2 hours south.

Posts: 87 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
A good supermarket. Think about a selection of imported cheeses: an English or Welsh chedder. Usually a good supermarket will either give you a sample, or sell small blocks. Try to find one that is well-aged and tends to crumble slightly when cut. It should be bold and very flavorful;

A brie, a soft cheese for crackers (thin wafer). Combine with either quince spread or a sweet jalapeño jelly. Really nice;

Comté cheese from France. Like chedders, a hard, cow cheese that I find really flavorful.

Maybe a Gouda (I’ve learned that the actual Dutch pronunciation is how-duh, but you better say, goo-duh). That’s a tough one though. I find that there is so much variation in Gouda that it’s almost impossible to find—and then repurchase, that cheese. American varieties are always covered in red wax and the cheese is waxy too. Some imported Goudas are kind of “gravelly.”

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slyguy:
Damn I'm a little late to the party, but as mentioned before

https://creamery.wsu.edu/cougar-cheese/

Since they are close to local, we buy their cheese on a regular basis. If you are into mac and cheese use Cougar Gold and Smokey Cheddar in a 50- 50% mix, you'll thank me later.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Since they are close to local, we buy their cheese on a regular basis. If you are into mac and cheese use Cougar Gold and Smokey Cheddar in a 50- 50% mix, you'll thank me later.

Jim, now you tell us! Big Grin FWIW I ordered 2x Cougar Gold + 1 Viking dill & garlic. Delivery is scheduled for Monday.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Update:

Really enjoyed the Cougar Gold. Reminded me of well aged Colosse cheddar cheese (from just north of Syracuse NY).

Tonight we cracked open the tin of Dill & Garlic. It was much harder than the Gold cheddar to remove from the tin. It has the consistency and texture of brick, muenster, and jack cheeses. The garlic and dill smell was quite evident when first opening things up but quickly dissipated.

It tastes great. Nicely mild in the mouth as well. I'd say they hit a perfect balance in the amount of dill and garlic they used. And I can see it as a fantastic snacking cheese although I will be sure to experiment with it in toasted ham and cheese sandwiches, omelets, etc.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Besides Costco, I go to BevMo which I haven't seen mentioned before.

Are you just going to have cheeses? How about some meat or chauterrie whatever they call it. Plus some nice crackers. I forget the name of my favorite. THey come in squares, made in canada, different flavors. They should be next to the cheese in BevMo.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
this place has some awesome Vermont cheddar cheese
https://store.shelburnefarms.org/category/cheddar

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Ahh, SigForum. Membership is free but what have I spent on things I wouldn’t know existed otherwise, Cougar Gold cheese being the latest example.

Washington State University Creamery charges $8 shipping, a bit steep for a $22 can of cheese. What about Amazon? Yes, with free Prime shipping but at $69.99 a can, and getting rave reviews at that price from verified buyers. I decided to pay the $8 but buy three for $4 more than Amazon’s one. Guess I won’t e buying cheese for awhile unless another thread....

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post