SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where do you get your special cheese?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where do you get your special cheese? Login/Join 
Picture of SigMaverick
posted
No innuendo. I'm looking for some cheese.

My sister (and her family) are coming in for Thanksgiving this year and she fashions herself a cheese connoisseur.

I don't really want to spend a ton, but if I spent $100 on a selection of cheeses (in my mind as an appetizer with crackers kind of deal) for a group that will have other snacks to munch on before Thanksgiving dinner, what would you recommend?

cheese snobs waachha got?

--------------------------

I own a bunch of Sigs with Beavertails...

Posts: 937 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can’t beat fresh. There’s got to be a farm or two in OHio that specializes in some good cheese. Some Amish perhaps?

Otherwise, there’s a plethora of cheese shops to be had...

http://www.henningscheese.com/awards.html

http://samishbay.com

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In europe cheese is usually served after the main course.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I like costco’s selection. Certainly Whole Foods would have a decent selection, as would sprouts.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I use these guys, a commercial Cheese Importer in Longmont, Colorado. They do retail, too, and have an excellent selection and reasonable prices (as far as fancy cheeses go).

I'm in Colorado so I just visit the giant Walk-In Cooler myself.

They get things even Whole Foods or Trader Joe's doesn't, which is pretty impressive.

http://www.cheeseimporters.com

I've been shopping there for a decade now.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grandpas Cheese Barn in Ashland (OH) always has a great selection. The candy shop is next door and if you STILL had time there is always The Fin.

Posts: 12 | Location: Ashland, Ohio | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
In my experience, companies which carry Locatelli wheels generally have a good selection.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surprisingly enough, our local Sams Club and Kroger have quite a selection of fancy cheese.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Trader Joe's has a decent selection. This Beecher's is $12/pound at Trader but is usually tagged at almost twice that at cheese boutiques. They've got lots of brands/varieties under $10/pound. A nice Italian Asiago is $8/pound.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Locally, Jungle Jims. In Northwest Ohio, believe it or not, i love to stop at CheeseHaven in Port Clinton. We stop on our way to Kelley's Island and it is a real treat, IMO.

I am not a huge Cheese guy, but I do love some of the cheese available here, including a horseradish cheese.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Bobby Nelson Cheese Shop in Kenosha, WI.

Pinconning Cheese Company in Pinconning, MI.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Cowgirl Creamery is a high end cheese shop in San Fran.

I've ordered from them, sent selections as gifts across the country that arrived in perfect condition and even one day happened to talk to a cheesehead at a farmer's market who actually developed several of their cheeses through the regions were the cows came from on the coast, the type of milk and all that stuff a cheesehead would like.

This is so far beyond Trader Joe's (I shop there often so no slight to them) that a true cheese fiend would really appreciate this place. Expensive but once you taste it you'll understand why.

Cowgirl Creamery

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Cowgirl Creamery is a high end cheese shop in San Fran.

Our favorite cheese company, we get either the Red Hawk or the Mt. Tam cheese. Our local store Central Market carries both here in TX.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Find you some Cougar Gold

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Guggisberg Baby swiss is the best. Sugar Creek OH

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Bobby Nelson Cheese Shop in Kenosha, WI.

The above for sure.

I was also happy to find some Red Leicester and Double Gloucester at the new Woodmans a couple of weeks ago.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scardello Artisan Cheese in Dallas is my personal favorite. Great selection.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
My local Earth Fare has a nice selection of cheeses. They occasionally have a cheese tasting set up. The guy that manages the beer and wine section here is very helpful with advice on pairing them with your beverage of choice. Of course I am easy. Just give me a hearty cheddar and I am good with whatever is in my glass.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Believe the Cougar Gold mentioned above is from the University of Washington (State of Washington) dairy program. They ship this time of year only.

This is an EXCEPTIONAL Cheddar cheese. If you like really sharp, white brittle cheddar, this is the stuff you want. I have had all kinds of sharp cheddars. This beats them all. It is really really good.

How good is it? Well, I have a sister that lives in Fla. I see her once or twice a year. We get along very well. She visited and liked the cheese - a LOT. She wanted some to take home. When she left she had - none....

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keenguy211:
Grandpas Cheese Barn in Ashland (OH) always has a great selection. The candy shop is next door and if you STILL had time there is always The Fin.

2nd this recommendation. Big selection. Very good. I71 and route 250. Right at exit.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post