SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pocahontas may be onto something
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pocahontas may be onto something Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Brown University is implementing a change to its graduate school application that will allow applicants to “self-identify” as persons of color. Multiple efforts by The College Fix to clarify the details of this change were ignored by campus officials.

The policy comes as a result of complaints made by graduate students on the Graduate School advisory board that international and Asian American students are not treated as members of historically underrepresented groups by the university, according to The Brown Daily Herald.

One graduate student, Lydia Kelow-Bennett, told The Herald that this decision has led to “institutional invisibility” for these students. Brown defines historically underrepresented groups as “American Indian, Alaskan Native, African American, Hispanic or Latinx and Native Hawaiian and/or Pacific Islander.” The school’s diversity initiatives are intended to benefit members of these groups.

Brown’s criteria for historical underrepresentation “caused some students to not receive invitations to certain events, such as a multicultural student dinner,” The Herald reported.

How allowing applicants to self-identify as persons of color will affect policy relating to the diversity initiatives, and whether the university will take any steps to verify applicants’ self-identification, remain unclear. The Fix reached out multiple times to Brown’s graduate admissions office to inquire into how Brown would ensure that applicants were telling the truth about their self-identified ethnicity. The office did not respond.

The Fix also reached out to Marlina Duncan, the dean of diversity initiatives, to learn whether or not self-identifying as a person of color has any impact on an applicant’s prospects for admission. Duncan did not respond.

Reached by email, campus spokesman Brian Clark provided The Fix with a link to an article from Brown’s online news department celebrating the graduate school’s “most diverse class to date.” The article did not actually address the matter of minority self-identification.

When pressed about the change to the graduate school application–specifically how the option to “self-identify” as a minority differs from the standard ethnicity queries on other college applications–Clark gave no response.

Other universities allow students to “identify” a certain way in order to qualify for admissions or receive various benefits. The University of California, Davis, awards financial grants to students who identify as LGBT or as an illegal immigrant.

And in recent years, several all-women’s colleges have permitted men who identify as women to apply. Some sororities have followed suit.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
so years ago if you had a drop of anything but white blood you were considered 'not white'

as in mixed heritage, and it was bad juju etc etc

now, you can just say, 'Hey I wanna be (fill in the blank ) color today!!' and all is good,

strange times

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’ve maintained for years that job applications, school applications, etc. should not have spaces for race or gender; imagine a world where you were judged by your skills, education, or training?

Crazy idea, right?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
If only my honkey ass could get more melanin by simply declaring it so.

I love beaches, sunshine, surfing, and such, but it doesn't love me as much as I love it.

What I wouldn't give for olive skin.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I’ve maintained for years that job applications, school applications, etc. should not have spaces for race or gender; imagine a world where you were judged by your skills, education, or training?

Crazy idea, right?

Indeed.

I'd love to see such things disappear entirely. Names, even. You either have the necessary resume or you don't, based on experience and demonstrated skills, and not on legacy, fame, skin color, race, country of origin, sex, or anything else unrelated to the job itself.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I want to apply as a meat Popsicle....

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
If only my honkey ass could get more melanin by simply declaring it so.

I love beaches, sunshine, surfing, and such, but it doesn't love me as much as I love it.

What I wouldn't give for olive skin.

I have had red hair all my life and been sunburned within an inch of said life several times. I’ve learned to take precautions, as they say.

Long ago, at OCS, one of my roommates was the blackest man I have ever known. He was DARK black. He was an ET, a NESEP on his way to Nuclear Power School. Anyway, the subject of sunburn came up. I told him he was lucky he wasn’t bothered by such things. He disagreed, he claimed he did get sunburned and related how and when, and so forth. I guess you couldn’t tell by looking or something. I was astonished.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
So if a school has a graduate level student population of 100% white males between 22 and 25 years of age but 53% of said students self identify as a middle aged black woman, that will make the school socially acceptable to the NAACP - right?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I want to apply as a meat Popsicle....

LMAO! OK Korben...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
A plus for this is I guess affirmative action is pretty much dead. At this school anyway.

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
A plus for this is I guess affirmative action is pretty much dead. At this school anyway.

Negative. White males will continue to be discriminated against.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:

Negative. White males will continue to be discriminated against.

Only if you pretend to be one.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
The policy comes as a result of complaints made by graduate students on the Graduate School advisory board that international and Asian American students are not treated as members of historically underrepresented groups by the university, according to The Brown Daily Herald.

Trying to get the Asians on the side of the race hustlers, I see.

I'm not buying it. Asians typically don't whine and cry racism when things don't right.

Isn't it at UCLA and other SOCAL schools where Asians have to score higher on SAT exams for admission in order to curb the admission of Asian students?

Though I do remember one of the reasons, they didn't specify specifically, why I was not accepted into the UNC MBA program was because I didn't meet the "potential contribution to the diversity of the class." No shit that's what the rejection letter said along with other things.

quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Crazy idea, right?

I believe names should also be left off.

Didn't some guy who was pretty famous say something years ago about being judged on content of character and not by color of skin?

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

And in recent years, several all-women’s colleges have permitted men who identify as women to apply. Some sororities have followed suit.

Sneaky bastards. Wish I thought of that...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
It's about fucking time:

I identify myself as a black/Indian handicapped female Master'd prepared with 2 illegitimate/pseudo children.

Cha-ching

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
One of my sons friends had a Perfect SAT Score.. So when he applied to colleges. he put that he was Native American. He figured he was a 7th generation American so therefore Native. He got Full ride offers to all the Ivy league schools, That were later taken away. I guess he could have gotten into Brown.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post