SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CA lawmakers want to change when police can shoot
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CA lawmakers want to change when police can shoot Login/Join 
posted
Bottom line they want to change the standard to "necessary force" vs "reasonable". If I were a cop in CA this would go over like a fart in church.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/n...en-police-shoot-guns

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
simple solution is to eliminate the politician that came up with this idea

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The idiot liberal asshats want to change the rules on when cops can use deadly force. They want to make it illegal for cops to shoot a perp with a fake gun. Smart cops are going to be fleeing utopia

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
These “law makers” need to put on a uniform and walk a mile in the cops shoes before they push any stupid laws.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
that would be unfair to the uniform

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The people who propose these ideas don't realize that the ultimate result will be innocent people dying. Police will refuse to be proactive, and they really have no duty to be. They will slow up responding to calls of people with weapons, and those people will wind up hurting someone else, rather than confronting the police.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Chicago police have to give their badge number and a receipt of some sort to anyone they stop and question for suspicious activity.

So now they just wait for 911 calls or victim reports...

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Anything can be reasonable, as long as it's someone else that has to do it.

Posts: 2009 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
The people who propose these ideas don't realize that the ultimate result will be innocent people dying. ..

Any sane person would realize that, which maybe explains why CA would propose such. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I support this.

Was this reasonable?

http://www.latimes.com/local/l...-20160127-story.html

Should be same burden as 'regular citizens'.

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Eventually California politicians will eliminate anyone who's NOT a criminal. The taxpayers will continue to flee.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24072 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Wow! I know a lot of people say things that are rediculous emotional responses all the time, but I try not to do it. For example, I’m moved by out of the country if <insert name here> wins the election. Many have said it, yet none have moved.

I preface to say this: if I were a cop in CA I’d leave the state or get a new job if this passed.

The thought of being convicted of murder for trying to do my very difficult job just is t worth it to me.

Cops don’t shoot on a whim, they have reason to believe it’s necessary. If you drop the reasonable part, none of the circumstances matter. If it wasn’t necessary in a 20/20 hindsight view, you’re in jail...nope, no thanks, bye.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
I support this.

Was this reasonable?

Oh boy

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
I support this.

Was this reasonable?

No that was not reasonable, and they should have been prosecuted. But this is CA, does a policeman have to get hit with a bullet first, as proof of the threat, before he will be able to rightfully return fire?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
They can change it all they want. The SCOTUS will shove it back up their ass. It's 'reasonable' for a reason.

P.S.:
I work with the son of THE CONNOR of Graham vs Connor, and the original convenience store is one of our regular 'spots'. I know people Wink lol

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
They can change it all they want. The SCOTUS will shove it back up their ass. It's 'reasonable' for a reason.

P.S.:
I work with the son of THE CONNOR of Graham vs Connor, and the original convenience store is one of our regular 'spots'. I know people Wink lol

But this is CA, where it is illegal for public servants to cooperate with Feds re illegals. And where it is illegal for the Feds to sell Fed land without CA permission. Roll Eyes

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
No that was not reasonable, and they should have been prosecuted. But this is CA, does a policeman have to get hit with a bullet first, as proof of the threat, before he will be able to rightfully return fire?

I know people who would say "yes" to that very question, also "that's why they wear bullet-proof vests!" Roll Eyes

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would seem that the proponents of this standard are ultimately seeking "British rules". Disarm the civilians, but also disarm most of the cops. Change the use of force standard from "reasonable" to "necessary", and make it so that civilians are legally unable to defend themselves in any meaningful way.

IMHO such policies will only lead to disaster. "Death Wish" was meant to be a crime drama with a vigilante as the protagonist. Instead, it will be used as an instruction manual.

Posts: 122 | Registered: April 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
that would be unfair to the uniform

Sadly, all to accurate!

There must be something contaminating the drinking water out there.

Or is it the excessive wacky weed?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Cops will just have to retreat indoors and wait for a report of a murder/death/kill before they respond to the scene and ask citizens and criminals alike "What's your boggle?".

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post