SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    'Beetle Bailey' creator Mort Walker RIP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Beetle Bailey' creator Mort Walker RIP Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
By LYNN ELBER, AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Comic strip artist Mort Walker, a World War II veteran who satirized the Army and tickled millions of newspaper readers with the antics of the lazy private "Beetle Bailey," died Saturday. He was 94.

Walker died at his home in Stamford, Connecticut, said Greg Walker, his eldest son and a collaborator. His father's advanced age was the cause of death, he said.

Walker began publishing cartoons at age 11 and was involved with more than a half-dozen comic strips in his career, including "Hi and Lois," ''Boner's Ark" and "Sam & Silo." But he found his greatest success drawing slacker Beetle, his hot-tempered sergeant and the rest of the gang at fictional Camp Swampy for nearly 70 years.

The character that was to become Beetle Bailey made his debut as Spider in Walker's cartoons published by the Saturday Evening Post in the late 1940s. Walker changed Spider's name and launched "Beetle Bailey" as a college humor strip in 1950.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
RIP. Enjoyed many a Beetle Bailey comic as a kid.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
RIP Frown

I greatly enjoyed me some Beetle Bailey as well.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Taps.

These were a big part of my childhood.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP. I enjoyed many a laugh with that comic strip.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
My favorite character wasn't Beetle, it was Otto.

Many smiles reading your cartoons Mr. Walker, RIP.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
Another person I thought died years ago. At 94 he had a long life. RIP Mr. Walker Frown

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
Followed Beetle for many year in the comic section of the paper RIP

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He had a good run. I enjoyed the Beetle Baily cartoons and the Hi + Lois ones.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved me some Beetle Bailey growing up and still do to this day.

To be honest I thought he passed away some time ago. I didn't know that he also created the Hi and Lois cartoon strip as well.

Also thank you for your service Mr. Walker.
I pulled this paragraph from the Stamford Historical Society, which has a great interview with him and his role in WW2. It is a blast to read.
http://www.stamfordhistory.org/ww2_walker.htm

Mort Walker was drafted initially into the Army Air Corps in 1941, and later was part of the Signal Corps and Infantry before being shipped to Italy in 1945 on board the Mariposa, a converted luxury liner that also carried 100 nurses. Once there, he became head of security for Ordnance Base #1 in Naples in the shadow of Mt. Vesuvius. In addition to guarding ordnance, Walker oversaw 10,000 German POWs, mostly regular army and signal corps men.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post