SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking about buying some rental properties. Good idea or not?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about buying some rental properties. Good idea or not? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

There are all kinds of tricks you can play. A buddy of mine owns pawn shops so he's used to dealing with deadbeats all day long. He also owned a rental building and was evicting these tenants for lack of payment, was going to have to take it to court etc. (2 month process), he went over there on a Friday at 3pm and took off their front door and dropped it off at a painting company to get painted and left them with NO front door over the weekend, they moved out before Monday. LOLOLOLOL

Even in the landlord friendly state of Utah, doing something like this could land you in a world of trouble. All the tenant has to do is get free legal aid, file an injunction, and you'd be screwed until the judge decides you've learned your lesson. The courts everywhere are very jealous of their right to evict, and have no sympathy for landlords who attempt to bypass the system.

It's legal in Florida if you're removing it for maintenance. He got a reciept from the paint shop etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As someone who does evictions for a living, I strongly recommend you heed the the repeated advice here about tenant selection. I can tell you many stories about crap tenants, and show you great pictures of the damage they leave behind. Your state court system may be a good reference. Here in PA you can do an online search of court records, and see if your prospective tenant(s) have been involved in past civil/eviction proceedings. Most of the bad ones do this repeatedly, moving from one unaware landlord to the next. Do your homework.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I had a client years ago who did the front door removal ploy to bounce unwanted tenants.

If you didn't pay the rent, he would call County Mental Health which would get you a 72 hour stay in the county nuthouse. I asked him why he thought he could do that, and he said "you gotta be crazy to not pay rent!"

Picking tenants is vital. Bad ones can ruin you. Sometimes they destroy your property intentionally. Other times, it's just how they live. It can take 6 months, or more, to run the process of eviction if they want it to, and one wrong move, one paper that doesn't say exactly the right things served on all the right people at the right time can be disastrous.

One of the title companies sponsored a seminar in San Diego, "Investing in Real Estate in Texas" back in the early '80's. One of the attendees during question time said he wanted to know about two things, subdivision regulations, and tenants rights. The panelist looked at each other in confusion briefly before a lawyer from Houston leaned to his microphone and replied, "Few, and none!" Things have certainly changed from those happy days!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Another question on this. I am more risk adverse and prefer having solid assets like property. (401k is fairly aggressive as I'm 33 and have time to build) My plan is to rent out my current house and build a new one. I'm not doing it to make money on rental but to build equity and pay off the house. Is it worth it then? My mortgage is $934 a month an should be able to get ~$1400 a month rent. Does this make sense?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Another question on this. I am more risk adverse and prefer having solid assets like property. (401k is fairly aggressive as I'm 33 and have time to build) My plan is to rent out my current house and build a new one. I'm not doing it to make money on rental but to build equity and pay off the house. Is it worth it then? My mortgage is $934 a month an should be able to get ~$1400 a month rent. Does this make sense?

It's way more of a headache than you can imagine. Finding good people that aren't going to try to scam you, people that have good credit, and who won't destroy your place is MUCH HARDER than it seems. We had numerous applications that looked great, then after a credit, eviction and criminal history check we said NOPE!

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
In your case I'd be more inclined to make your money on the financing...find the right buyer, and owner finance to them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Some folks end up with this being a good idea.

My experience with 4 rental houses over the years has not been very good.

And we did our best to see we got decent people as renters.

Doubt I would even consider it now. And we still have 3 places we could rent.

To be blunt, it is a huge PIA! But maybe I am just getting too old for that much fun.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post