SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    saving money , just not in a bank
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

saving money , just not in a bank Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Fire

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if I know Jeff and his wife , they already have 2 mill in four banks, making interest.

and their 600 acres are maturing nicely as well.

he's keeping 3 mill in equipment around to help out with planting and harvest ( part time)

they are pretty much set.

Someone at breakfast brought up "money hoarding" and legal ramifications. so he got to wondering .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should definitely hire a good financial planner and set up trusts and investments for the bulk of it.

An emergency fund is fine, however, they should realize if something happens to any cash, precious metals etc. on their property, their insurance will only cover a crazy low limit like $200-ish.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
they are pretty much set.

They probable are set...
but do they have a good estate plan?
A lot of family farms are lost because there was little or no succession planning.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the way he talks , the whole set up is in all the families names ,
if one croaks , nothing changes.

seven of them , I don't even know if there is a will ( none of my business )

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not all eggs in one basket. I would want some in the bank, but not over what the FDIC will cover. I would rather have precious metals than cash in the hopes I could beat inflation, and loss to fire would be minimal. Nothing is safe from a greedy man or natural disaster, that's why you diversify.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Banks have been known to steal from "safe" deposit boxes. What was in there is your word against theirs. I personally keep maybe a thousand in the safe, the rest is invested or banked.

I doubt it is the bank as an institution. Employees stealing on their own is another matter entirely.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe123:
Not all eggs in one basket. I would want some in the bank, but not over what the FDIC will cover. I would rather have precious metals than cash in the hopes I could beat inflation, and loss to fire would be minimal. Nothing is safe from a greedy man or natural disaster, that's why you diversify.

Concur, and I'd suggest burying it in several locations.
Might as well take the precautions all the way.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post