SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    saving money , just not in a bank
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

saving money , just not in a bank Login/Join 
posted
Jeff has retired from farming, as has his wife .

together they get $120,000.oo per year in monthly installments.

Jeff wants to live on that and they will comfortably .

He's going to put $1,900.00 in a safe deposit box, every three months. then some more in a safe on the farm and the rest in a checking accounts in two local banks.

the question is is there a problem with saving money , not in a bank ?

does the government care what amount you keep on hand for emergencies?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

In those small amounts, and as long as it has been previously declared as income (if taxable), my guess would be no. However, he isn't making any interest that way. Not that they pay jack for interest any more - less than 2% on such a small account. Roll Eyes

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Check the inflation rate. To a certain extent if your money isn’t “working” to offset inflation you lose value.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I would say that a safe deposit box isn't fool proof and paper money is a perishable item, ie subject to destruction by rot, fire, mice, whatever...

The government seems to object to large chunks of cash if you try to board an international flight, but I doubt they care what quantity you have on hand.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

He's going to put $1,900.00 in a safe deposit box, every three months. then some more in a safe on the farm and the rest in a checking accounts in two local banks.

Not unless they need new cars, etc. and seize the cash as the instrumentality of crime. There have been a lot of stories of seizures of cash without much link to crime.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

Not unless they need new cars, etc. and seize the cash as the instrumentality of crime. There have been a lot of stories of seizures of cash without much link to crime.

Asset forfeiture incidents have severely declined since 2016 law.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Cash depreciates. Probably better to make some interest but people are free to do whatever they want with their money.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
OK I'm curious. Why stash a cash in the safe deposit box?

Why not put that money to work? Even if it was in a CD (and I'm not suggesting that's the best place for it), but at least it would make some interest.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A fire at home will wipe out the contents of most safes. Damage at the bank (fire, flood) will wipe out their safety deposit box. If the bank ends up in financial trouble, the contents of their box can be seized.

In any case, cash in both places would not be easily recouped as an insurance loss without documentation.

Tell them to take the risk of leaving it on deposit at their bank (or banks). A money trail will exist, no matter what happens to the bank.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
quote:
quote:

This is not a law. According to the link, only the House passed H.R. 5523, known as the Clyde-Hirsch-Sowers RESPECT Act. Has the Senate passed it, and has the president signed it into law?

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They can but have the risk that they might have to prove it came from a legal source. They also run the risk of loss by theft of some sort and will lose value due to inflation and the lack of opportunity.

A better option in my opinion is to put it in a Roth IRA, even in a savings type account if they want to be that conservative and won't pay any tax on the gain.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
quote:
quote:

This is not a law. According to the link, only the House passed H.R. 5523, known as the Clyde-Hirsch-Sowers RESPECT Act. Has the Senate passed it, and has the president signed it into law?

I stand corrected, it is not law, but the "IRS agreed in June 2016 to give some or all of the money back to those who it had seized assets on structuring accusations." Link

The CI agents I know have been instructed to stop pursuing ALL structuring cases they have/had. Both have since retired.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They will forgo even the small amount of interest you could earn on a savings account.

They could invest some of it in a low-fee index fund, and earn a decent return. There'd be some more risk, of course, but that isn't a super-risky investment.

Why are they so opposed to any of those options?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

The more you have the more they can seize/steal from you. Mad
The question is: "why would you temp them?".
Given the chance it just might not go your way.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
They will forgo even the small amount of interest you could earn on a savings account.

They could invest some of it in a low-fee index fund, and earn a decent return. There'd be some more risk, of course, but that isn't a super-risky investment.

+1

Even a low cost money market fund would be better than absolutely no interest, and eliminates the risk of loss of the physical cash from theft or accident.

"Jeff's" plan is needlessly, actually foolishly, risky.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Having lived in rural Wisconsin, I have some familiarity with the thinking. Privacy issues, mistrust of the government and advice from Depression era parents are factors. It is actually still quite common among farmers. The term "Banksters" is fairly common when referring to the banking community. In short, it is not a rational but an emotional belief.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Having lived in rural Wisconsin, I have some familiarity with the thinking. Privacy issues, mistrust of the government and advice from Depression era parents are factors. It is actually still quite common among farmers. The term "Banksters" is fairly common when referring to the banking community. In short, it is not a rational but an emotional belief.

I get it, but just because there are tribesmen who still believe in witchcraft doesn't mean we shouldn't try to educate such people.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get it, but just because there are tribesmen who still believe in witchcraft doesn't mean we shouldn't try to educate such people.

Oh I certainly agree. Having worked with these folks I chose to do my "missionary work" with more open individuals. Logic does not seem to trump the attitudes of some of these folks.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:

I assume by 'bank' you include all the other types of financial institutions: credit union, investment account, etc.

If by 'problem' you mean, 'is it illegal' then the answer is 'no'. Though, as pointed out above, thinking ahead to when they actually use the cash, there are implications to spending a lot of cash all at once.

If by 'problem' you mean, 'are they doing something likely to cost them over time,' then the answer is 'yes.' The absolute best they could hope for (assuming get lost/stolen etc.) is to have exactly those dollars when they need them.

However, inflation risk is real - we tend to dismiss it after a decade plus at historically low inflation and interest rates.....but inflation is only dormant, not extinct. If, instead of idling their cash in vaults or boxes, if they were to put the money to work at a financial institution, earning interest and capital gains, they could reasonably expect to beat inflation and then some.

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Banks have been known to steal from "safe" deposit boxes. What was in there is your word against theirs. I personally keep maybe a thousand in the safe, the rest is invested or banked.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post