SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car battery trickle charger - connections
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car battery trickle charger - connections Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Hi,

I'm using 2 different battery trickle chargers (CTEK and Battery Tender). I'm probably going to consolidate onto one brand so that I can have all cars using the same quick connect.

But until then, I'm using the toy like clamps that come w/ the chargers. Why they are ridiculously toy like and not industrial quality like battery jump start cables is beyond me. I can't get them to securely clamp in general, let alone get them to clamp in a manner such that I can close the hood.

So, looking for some experience - what do you guys do so that you can clamp onto batteries securely and also be able to close the hood?

I'm torn between the CTEK and the BT. Not sure which I should standardize upon. The CTEK one seems a little more sophisticated and 'smart' but the clamps are ridiculous and almost useless - especially disappointing given the price.

I'll convert all cars to ring eyelet connections but not until I need to replace the battery (need to disconnect the cables at that time anyway).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The weak clamps is just one reason why I no longer use the battery tender brand chargers on my cars. I only use Bosch SCPLUS model chargers. Rockauto has the best price that I could find.

I always lay the clamps flat and clamp them that way. You can buy better clamps on Amazon that are compatible with various trickle chargers though.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I use the Battery Tender ring terminal cable, it's the only way I feel comfortable to put my hood down for storage. I can wedge the alligator clips to make a connection but it isn't what I would call secure.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Clip that shit off. Go to an auto parts store explain your dilemma. They will happily sell you the replacement clips you desire.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5148 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
Clip that shit off. Go to an auto parts store explain your dilemma. They will happily sell you the replacement clips you desire.
West Marine can also hook you up with the ring terminals you need. Its an easy modification to get rid of the alligator clips.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
West Marine can also hook you up with the ring terminals you need. Its an easy modification to get rid of the alligator clips.

He doesn’t want ring terminals right now. He mentioned that in the OP

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have two types of chargers/maintainers for various batteries, mostly power sport vehicles. Yes they have the different type of connection to the pigtail.

It’s not hard to keep them in que, I use the one setup for whatever connection. My procedure is to plug them in periodically, not necessarily all the time.

I use the gator clips at times, if on a hooded vehicle I just leave the hood cracked. I did buy an extra connection or two, and converted a few connections for the newer tender.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i do not think it is that big of a deal myself. I would not worry it. The spring clips are fine, are they not?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
I use the Battery Tender ring terminal cable, it's the only way I feel comfortable to put my hood down for storage. I can wedge the alligator clips to make a connection but it isn't what I would call secure.

This. Bundle the plug connector end of that Battery Tender cable to stay out of the way but be easily accessible so you can plug it into the charger when needed but it's secured out of the way when not needed. Car I use this on the most has battery in the trunk making this even easier, but under-hood would be the same.

The CTEK charges are apparently pretty solid as well, with Porsche, BMW and others rebranding and selling as their own. I've used one of those through the cigarette lighter connection on a 2-3 month absence and it worked just fine. Bonus points for detailed indicators of charge status.

The OP not "wanting" ring terminals is silly IMHO. It will take under 4 minutes to connect the Tender rings and he'll be done. 6 if he stops for a beer between positive and negative. Smile

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don’t get it either. You don’t have to take the battery cables off to hook up ring terminal connectors, just take off the cable nut, put on the connector, and put the nut back on. Sanitary looking, positive connection, tucks out of the way when driving the car or tractor. I really don’t understand the issue here.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I don’t get it either. You don’t have to take the battery cables off to hook up ring terminal connectors, just take off the cable nut, put on the connector, and put the nut back on. Sanitary looking, positive connection, tucks out of the way when driving the car or tractor. I really don’t understand the issue here.

Agreed. The ring connectors won't fit over the battery terminal anyway. They are meant to connect at the cable nut.

You can also buy ring connectors with longer cables (4ft? 6ft?), so you can poke the hookup plug through the front grill. Easy hookup without lifting the hood.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Buy or make a set of remote charging posts, and mount them in a convenient location. Or, make your own quick disconnects for the cables at each terminal.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use battery maintainers on my Motor Home plugged into the 12v power source (cigarette lighter) which is always hot. I do the same with my Jeep JK. The chargers came with a Murphy proof plug which takes to clamps or the plug for the lighter. No leads or cheep clamps to fool with.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The battery tender clamps have worked fine on Jeeps, Fords, Chevrolets, Mercedes, Cadillac, and an Oldsmobile for several years, as does the cigarette lighter plug adapter they sell. Which I use on a vehicle that has the battery under the back seat.

I guess you can easily enough change clamps to a different type but I don’t see how a larger clamp with a more powerful spring will help with being able to close the hood.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
It always skeeves me out lowering the hood on alligators connected directly to the battery terminals.

Get the ring terminals or make custom pigtails yourself. Check Delcity.Net

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the BT on my Mustang I drive maybe 6 times a year. I installed the quick connect plug onto the the battery terminal nuts. Quick, easy and clean looking install. It tucks out of the way when not in use and easy to connect/disconnect.

Posts: 239 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Yea, I'm planning to convert to ring connectors but only wanted to do it once. So, I was waiting to decide if I want to stick with CTEC or BT chargers as they have incompatible accessories. And also only want to disconnect the battery once (and reprogram everything, ugh) - and was planning to just do it at the next battery replacement for each car.

I know I could probably install the rings with the clamps still connected but I had the scare of my life once with an unintentional arc when I grounded a wrench on the positive terminal (I think to the bar that goes across the battery top to hold the battery in place). So, now I make it habit to disconnect negative before I remove the cap on top of the positive terminal (because I'm too stupid to work near the battery with the terminal cables connected).

Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get it done - just need to decide if I'm going to go with CTEK or BT from now (and then buy the appropriate ring cable accessories).

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^

It won't spark when you attach the ring connectors. The circuit is open until you plug the charger into the leads.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
^^^^^^^^^

It won't spark when you attach the ring connectors. The circuit is open until you plug the charger into the leads.

I'm a klutz and stupid. My worry is doing something like grounding the positive terminal with a wrench while attaching the ring connectors. Smile Hence why I usually disconnect negative before touching anything on the positive side....

I've done it once and history repeats itself. Smile

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
^^^^^^^^^

I'm a klutz and stupid. My worry is doing something like grounding the positive terminal with a wrench while attaching the ring connectors. Smile Hence why I usually disconnect negative before touching anything on the positive side....

I've done it once and history repeats itself. Smile
Connect the red, positive lead first. Then connect the black, ground lead. You get into the trouble you described when the lead (or battery jumper cable) is already grounded when you start waving around the positive lead—that’s when arcing can occur.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post