SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help needed/ teach me about HVAC systems - need a new one
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help needed/ teach me about HVAC systems - need a new one Login/Join 
posted
Ok, so my current system is 13 years old, and was a 3 ton 10 seer system. 5 years of duck tape and super glue (not literally) fixes, and I'm done. I either need to sink $2700 into a new coil, or get a higher efficiency system. I know the system's efficiency has gone down hill, because I have fewer appliances, high efficiency lighting, and done a lot of insulation improvements since we moved in, yet the energy usage keeps ramping up every year, while we constantly increase the thermostat in the summer.

Specs:
~1500 square feet, upstairs unit.
Questions I have-
Will a heat pump work efficiently enough in Charlotte, NC?
Are the name brands worth it, or are names like Goodman just as good?

What should I expect to pay?

I already got one quote, 3 more are scheduled, but what questions do I need to ask.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just searched "HVAC quality" without the quotes here in the lounge and came up with a lot of good reading some of which will be helpful to you. Read through that then ask specific unanswered questions. I don't think I would put $2700 into a repair of a 13 year old system with a 15-20 year life expectancy if I could get a new system for $6500. If I were getting quotes of $12000 then that would be a different story. Also you will save on power costs depending on the efficiency rating of your present system and what you end up with in a new system. Is your present system a heat pump or gas or what?

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, a HP is fine for your climate.
However, utility cost are needed to know wether it'll save you any money.

The best brand is the one which is sized, installed and set-up properly.
So find the best tech/installer and go with their recommendations.

Cost is always relative to ones area, what may be normal there could be considered high for this area and vise versa.
Every install is different, so laying eyes on the project would be a required to accurately quote the job.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Do any of your bids come with a manual J load calculation to size the unit?

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I have 3 tons in my 2,700 sf 2-story house.

Just had refrigerant added to 3-year old Lennox A/C. Must have a leak in the evap coil. Typical Lennox problem. Lennox settled a class-action lawsuit a couple years ago over copper evap coils, and they are still using them. The copper corrodes and get pinhole leaks from the off-gases of modern building materials. $1,500 to replace the coil with another Lennox copper coil (coil would be free due to warranty).

Tech said heat pump would do fine and be more efficient for most of the "normal" winter until it got really cold.

Tech recommends American Standard, who uses aluminum. New system would be around $5,000.

3 tons seems like a lot for 1,500 sf.

Don't buy Lennox, and don't by a unit with copper evap coils.

Talk to Cornerstone Comfort in Gastonia.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Formicary corrosion was an issue with all newer copper coils, it wasn't limited to Lennox.

Most manufactures have switched to aluminum coils to solve the issue.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Do any of your bids come with a manual J load calculation to size the unit?

Yes. My current company, and the first bidder both did a load test, and it came out to a 2.62 ton system. A high efficiency 2.5 ton system will get the job done.

Both my current and bid have both told me that my system is likely running at 7-8 SEER at best.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Yes, a HP is fine for your climate.
However, utility cost are needed to know wether it'll save you any money.

The best brand is the one which is sized, installed and set-up properly.
So find the best tech/installer and go with their recommendations.

Cost is always relative to ones area, what may be normal there could be considered high for this area and vise versa.
Every install is different, so laying eyes on the project would be a required to accurately quote the job.

Historically, when my system was relatively new, my power bills would run around $170 in the peak of the summer, but that was when power was .09/ kWh. Now it is .10/ kWh, but we also used to keep the house at 71, not 74. Now the power bill has averaged $225 in the summer months (*May-October). After seeing last two years kWh usage it got me thinking. Based on the number of 90 degree days in Charlotte will get you an idea of how hot the average summer was. in 2015 there were 37, in 2016 there was a near record of 80, then last year there were only 26. My average kWh usage for each summer went from 1212 in 2015; 1484 in 2016; 1285 in 2017, and I am averaging 1650 in the first 3 months of this year (but we have had 21 90+ degree days).

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'd look at mini splits... super efficient... in fact so efficient that they don't have the 'emergency backup' heating coils and will work down to around 5 degrees.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Goodman is a lower end brand, but I seem to see that brand used on all the new construction around here, is that a builder grade thing?

I’m getting a complete new HVAC system this month and it will be Lennox.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Goodman is a lower end brand, but I seem to see that brand used on all the new construction around here, is that a builder grade thing?

It's a pricing thing, all they want is cheap for new housing.
Gotta save money for the cabinets and kitchen appliances... who needs a quality comfort system?

Nobody cares until it doesn't heat/cool correctly and by then you already bought the home, so it's now your problem.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:

Now it is .10/ kWh

HP time.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
1. Get a good installer.
2. Properly sized units are necessary ~ on average 500ft to a TON but this can vary slightly.
Too small - it will run too much, too large it will not dehumidify correctly.
3. ALL major brands are great today, that includes Goodman which is owned by Daikin mega-company with many other brands under it's umbrella. Just find the appropriate model within your brand of choice. Find one that your installer supports and is very familiar with. Goodman "used" to be considered low end as it was many years ago provided by builders, today it is as good as any. FWIW, we have a Trane when we considered ALL the factors.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We now have 2 quotes. The Goodman equipment is 40% cheaper than Lennox, and the installer of the Lennox requires a $300/ year maintenance plan (which doesn't cover anything btw) to maintain the 10 parts and labor warranty. Also, a separate diagnosis fee of $129 per visit if there is an issue. Oh, the best part was the $9,700 price tag. Eff that. I can go to community college for a.semester and learn HVAC and install a $4100 system and save $6k. The whole thing seems like a racket.

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, so my current system is 13 years old, and was a 3 ton 10 seer system. 5 years of duck tape and super glue (not literally) fixes, and I'm done. I either need to sink $2700 into a new coil, or get a higher efficiency system. I know the system's efficiency has gone down hill, because I have fewer appliances, high efficiency lighting, and done a lot of insulation improvements since we moved in, yet the energy usage keeps ramping up every year, while we constantly increase the thermostat in the summer.

Specs:
~1500 square feet, upstairs unit.
Questions I have-
Will a heat pump work efficiently enough in Charlotte, NC?
Are the name brands worth it, or are names like Goodman just as good?

What should I expect to pay?

I already got one quote, 3 more are scheduled, but what questions do I need to ask.

Thanks in advance!

I have a guy that did mine and my neighbors. No BS, 10 year warranty, and very reasonable. Email me and I'll give you the info. I paid $4850 for a brand new 14 SEER system.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We now have 2 quotes. The Goodman equipment is 40% cheaper than Lennox, and the installer of the Lennox requires a $300/ year maintenance plan (which doesn't cover anything btw) to maintain the 10 parts and labor warranty. Also, a separate diagnosis fee of $129 per visit if there is an issue. Oh, the best part was the $9,700 price tag. Eff that. I can go to community college for a.semester and learn HVAC and install a $4100 system and save $6k. The whole thing seems like a racket.

Yep, he's a snake oil salesman, but you already knew that. Wink