Tools

A 'New' Hobby Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Apogees are excellent:

* Treble: Good.
* Midrange: The clearest that I’ve ever heard. I can listen at low volume levels and still get full sonic detail.
* Bass: Less than great.
* Stereo imaging: Awesome on axis, but goes to hell quickly off axis.

Pipe Smoker, I used to be very interested in Apogee speaker, followed their reviews for years but never pulled the trigger. Was the Audio Critic still around when Apogees first appeared?

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've received a few email inquiries about modifying / restoring my Magneplanar speakers, so I thought I'd share here.

My 1986 vintage MGIIIa "true ribbon" speakers were bought used the day before Christmas in 1999. Smile Restoration / modification can be broken down into 4 areas:

1. Ribbon replacement. The tweeter's very thin foil is extremely fragile and can be subject to thermal fatigue and blown if over "pushed." Replacement is fairly straightforward. New tweeters can be obtained from the factory with the old ones swapped for the new. Installation is easy with the driver screwed in and leads (possible resistor too depending on S/N of the speakers) soldered. You can see the ribbon drivers as the black vertical element on the back of the speaker in the picture below.

2. Delamination of the mid and bass drivers. This is what Pipe Smoker alluded to with his Magneplanars. The thin wires can become delaminated from the speaker mylar framework causing heavy distortion and buzzing. The fix involves removing the sock (speaker fabric cover) and re-gluing (special glue needed: DAP Weldwood contact cement many recommend over 3M Super 77 spray adhesive) the very thin wires (new or old) back in place. And if the mylar is torn that can be fixed as well with glued on patches. Not a job for the timid. My speakers didn't need this attention nor did I ever think I was up to the task. The alternative is to return the units to the factory (or a trusted third party) for repair. FWIW the factory is a 10 hour drive away for me. And were I to drive or send them to the factory their repair would automatically include removing the crossover tweaks I made returning everything to stock. Their policy.

3. Crossover network. When the MGIIIa was a new model many developed refinements to the factory setup. Parts kits were common. But when I got the speakers such was no longer the case. I was however able to assemble a parts kit based on the Parts Connection mod documentation. Installation could be done by either fabricating a larger new outboard crossover box or simply modding the interior of the factory box and replacing components directly on the back of the speaker. I opted for the less elegant later solution using clear silicon to seal the higher grade new components to the back of the panel. It required that I cut away part of the sock. Picture also shows a passive crossover box and Nordost Gold Flatline II speaker cables used to couple the 18" subwoofer, and the Odyssey and Parasound amplifiers to the Maggies.

4. Speaker stands. Many choose to upgrade the speaker stands from the pedestrian factory brackets. After market stuff runs in the $300 range if memory serves but many with fabrication skills (sadly not me) make their own. They add rigidity and floor coupling which is said to improve sonic performance. I left mine stock.

As an aside the tripod legs in the picture supported a SLM (sound level meter) I was using to measure the speakers performance. I found the brick fireplace behind the speakers set up properly (toe in, distances, etc.) did an outstanding job of "regulating" the bipolar sound wave radiation. Ironically this same type of back wall was noted in one of the Stereophile reviews of these speakers as optimum.

There are a number of online forums where restoring Magneplanar speakers are addressed. At the time the Audio Asylum membership was very helpful to me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
The Apogees are excellent:

* Treble: Good.
* Midrange: The clearest that I’ve ever heard. I can listen at low volume levels and still get full sonic detail.
* Bass: Less than great.
* Stereo imaging: Awesome on axis, but goes to hell quickly off axis.

Pipe Smoker, I used to be very interested in Apogee speaker, followed their reviews for years but never pulled the trigger. Was the Audio Critic still around when Apogees first appeared?

I was unaware of “The Audio Critic” until I saw your post. I bought the Apogees in the early ‘90s. At that time, I got most of my audio info from the common magazine rack publications, including “The Absolute Sound”.

I laughed at some of the stuff advocated in “The Absolute Sound”, such as $100/ft speaker cables. I use zip cord for speaker cables. But good quality zip cord. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
"Tommy" --- The Who

"Chicago Transit Authority" --- Chicago

I have box sets of The Who and Jimi Hendrix. Awesome to listen to.

My wife bought me the CTA album. Cover is very well worn however, of the four sides there MIGHT be 10 pops spread throughout. She done did good.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post