SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elderly Dad lives with us, would like audio only monitoring in his bedroom - anyone have suggestions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elderly Dad lives with us, would like audio only monitoring in his bedroom - anyone have suggestions? Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
Dad just turned 89 and has been living with us for over a year. While no immediate acute issues/concerns, he has been sleeping a lot more lately, sometimes for much longer than his norm. He has slowly been getting more winded and has less stamina, not his usual activity level, etc. Mentally still sharp but I have notice physical fragility seems to be increasing. Has been to Dr, nothing new but has some long term medical issues that take a toll.

I’ll be direct - I am afraid that at some point I am likely to check on him and he will have passed. Besides a basic baby monitor, is there anything that would do audio only, and preferably through a smartphone app?

Don’t want to invade Dad’s privacy with video, and it doesn’t necessarily need to be always on/constant. Would just like a way to “check in” without opening the door/disturbing him.

Searched Amazon and there are still a few audio only baby monitors, but I didn’t see anything geared towards elderly monitoring. Figured if anyone would know it would the SF folks...

Anyone else have/had this problem and found a solution?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
If a baby cam has audio just cover the video lens.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Audio only baby monitor.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Baby monitor. Find one that does sound only or just tape over the camera.

This will be simple plug and play.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Baby monitor. They make some with an intercom function so you and he can talk like on walkie talkies if you want. and some have lights that blink when there’s sound made on his end if you want to mute the sound for some reason.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
by the way I was lucky enough to be with my dad when he passed, but if he passes peacefully in his sleep in your home, surrounded by loved ones and support, that’s a good thing, not something to be feared. You will never be ready. It’s hard.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Just use a motion activated wireless camera with tape over the lens, like a Blink. You could even use a Ring doorbell with the lens covered. You could then use the “Watch now” feature of the app, and it would have two-way communications. Set it to record on movement, and you could then just check if it was making entries (there is still regular movement). You could look for new entries without opening them up or listening to them, but their existence would confirm he’s still okay. You could set the movement notifications to come to your phone automatically, so it would be somewhat effortless to monitor.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your Dad is willing you could get an Angelcare baby monitor. Not only do they have an audio only, but they have a sensor pad that can go under the mattress that detects breathing. No movement for 20 seconds and it sounds an alarm.

It has to be turned on when needed and turned off when not though otherwise it will go off. Hence why he would need to be ok with it.

We have had one for both our boys and the peace of mind regarding SIDS was great.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Wireless intercoms. $60 a pair. Use monitor function.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at ebay
The older baby monitors are audio only. Probably pick up one real cheap

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
My FIL lives with us and is 87. So far, he's been pretty good: healthy, takes few meds, shoots weekly by himself, still drives, etc. Would he quickly deteriorate, I'd get an audio baby monitor, as others have suggested.

My wife (his daughter) is a nurse, but couldn't handle the death of her Mom a couple of years ago. I told her and her Dad to go upstairs and I would wait for the coroner/undertaker to remove the body. Guess I'm heartless!!!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Also you may wish to consider something like an Apple watch that can (I believe? perhaps I'm wrong) detect falls.

Posts: 11351 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input, I know there are still audio only baby monitors and the option of just covering a video camera.

What I was wondering if there was a better option, audio only via smartphone app so not tied to a serve rate on it or unit that has to be charged, etc. Evidently that option doesn’t exist.

Looks like the best option may be a intercom with “Monitor” function that allows two-way duplex audio without Dad having to do anything.

I did find a base unit that advertises full duplex monitoring operation that I am guessing uses FRS frequencies so I can monitor with a small HT. HT would need PTT, but that isn’t a problem so long as dad doesn’t have to do anything on his end.

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're also assuming that Dad wants you listening in on him.

What's gonna happen when he's sneaking his GF through the bedroom window?
It's not like you can ground him!
Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Have you considered one of the medical alert devices/services? That way he can summon help if needed. He pushes a button and then the service contacts you. If they can’t reach you, they send someone to check.

My MIL had this sort of service before she moved into her current apartment – the building has system – she can summon help by pulling a cord (and they are pretty much everywhere). My mom had the same type of service when she before she went to assisted living. Don’t remember what service they used. Send me an email if you want me to track down the name of the service provider.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
He is ok with us listening, is really only in the bedroom when sleeping.

My wife doesn't work, so he is rarely home alone no real need for the medic alert, not sure he would use it anyway.

I went ahead and ordered the Retevis RT57 "intercom" with monitor/duplex function. After digging into it a little further, it seems to use UHF frequencies outside of the Ham band, no license requirement by FCC.

Constant .5w broadcast on 409.XXXXX mhz while in "monitor" mode selected and receives in the 463.XXXXX mhz range for full duplex operation.

Using an HT, I can listen anywhere in the house (or even the block for the matter). I so happen to have a couple of Retevis RT5 dual band HT's that are similar (but a step up from Baofengs in my opinion). Should be able to set them up to TX/RX to the intercom unit. Simplex on a split from the HT, but full duplex on the intercom.

A "quality" Ham UHF HT wouldn't work, but the cheapo Retevis, Baofeng, etc ones are wide band enough to cover those frequencies.

Will know more once it arrives tomorrow...

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The real problem is that he is not getting enough exercise. You need to take a walk each day.

I had an Aunt that was 80 and looking like she would not make it another year she was so frail.

I told her she needed to take a walk each day. She lived on a farm alone but had a garden and several cats. Even shot ground hogs with a 22. Big Grin

She started taking walks each day and lived another 19 years with the last two years in an Assisted Living Facility. You loose your muscle mass when you get no exercise.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Well, the Retevis intercom won’t work, doesn’t have the Handsfree monitor the listing suggested.

Ordered another 2 station intercom that looks like it will work, we’ll see how that one goes when it arrives.

quote:
Originally posted by 41:
The real problem is that he is not getting enough exercise. You need to take a walk each day...

He is 89, has COPD, and has been in the hospital since last Tuesday after a medic response for acute respiratory failure.

I don’t think “walking it off” is the answer.

posted Hide Post
Alexa.

Old people love them (someone to talk to) and you can use it as an intercom through the app on your phone.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Alexa.

Old people love them (someone to talk to) and you can use it as an intercom through the app on your phone.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post