SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Humorous 70's Car Commercials
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Humorous 70's Car Commercials Login/Join 
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted
Good ol' days...but the Javelin...really?

Link to original vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pi7nNvAXq4

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talk about a classy chassis

https://youtu.be/_ODO4XI1Tq4

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL !!! Thanks for sharing. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in High School I worked at a Sohio off hte Ohio Turnpike. The captain of the Boston Heights Police force pulled into the lot one day soon after I started working there and did a perfect imitation of the Dodge Sheriff on me. Because the VW Beetle I was driving had the Formula Vee trim stripe kit on it. He did it so well that I thought I was in real trouble, until the manager of the Sohio couldn't hold in the laugh any longer and burst out into a laughing fit.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Thanks OP that is some funny shit.!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What No Matador!

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
What truck?

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 7551 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
0 to 60 in 7.86 seconds!!!
Man, what a rocket.

Posts: 22 | Location: North GA | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Don't want to disturb the bowl of goldfish on the seat Big Grin

That had to be the inspiration for Buford T. Justice.

Hopefully made for a few chuckles on Easter for ya.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PapaRick:
0 to 60 in 7.86 seconds!!!
Man, what a rocket.

That's what I was thinking, too.

Hell, we have cars today that can do it in much less and get 35 to the gallon. My how technology has advanced.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Hell, we have cars today that can do it in much less and get 35 to the gallon.

Yeah but they ain't near as cool!

Settle yourself into the driver's seat of a little Mustang coupe with a 390 in it and floor it. When the tires smoke as you shift into third you won't give a damn that it only gets 12 miles per gallon. You'll just giggle. Big Grin

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
No idea what the real thing was like, but the Hot Wheels Javelin was my fastest car on those orange tracks. Big Grin

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do indeed remember most all of those commercials!!

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/lGdf9ea2olQ

Not really humorous, but it brings back memories of my uncle's in dark green. As a little kid, thinking that 'navy' in navy blue was what made blue dark, I got a few laughs from my family when I referred to my uncle's VW fastback as being navy green.

I would LOVE to find one restored immaculately, but with a manageable price tag. I remember going through the mud and muck when we went hunting, and it never got stuck. He eventually sold it for a '71 Chevelle Malibu which became my first car in '79. At that time, it had over 250k on the broken odometer.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1171 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I have been a passenger or driver in the following vehicles, but never owned any (on purpose):

AMC Matador
AMC Gremlin
AMC Pacer (alien glass bubble-mobile)
Ford Pinto
Chevy Vega

Even at that young age, having regularly worked on cars with my dad, I knew those cars were not good. Esp that Vega, my sister's car, which I replaced the head gasket two or three times before she ditched it. That car was a seriously real piece of shit. No matter how much work I put into it, I could never get it to run properly. And at that time I was pretty decent with mechanical ignitions and carburetors.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I was going to ask about Pacer’s and Pinto’s.

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
I have been a passenger or driver in the following vehicles, but never owned any (on purpose):

AMC Matador
AMC Gremlin
AMC Pacer (alien glass bubble-mobile)
Ford Pinto
Chevy Vega

Even at that young age, having regularly worked on cars with my dad, I knew those cars were not good. Esp that Vega, my sister's car, which I replaced the head gasket two or three times before she ditched it. That car was a seriously real piece of shit. No matter how much work I put into it, I could never get it to run properly. And at that time I was pretty decent with mechanical ignitions and carburetors.

I’ll admit to a ‘73 Vega, purchased during the summer of 73. The fuel mileage was great but after a week of driving it I decided to keep my 66 Pontiac 2+2, 4 speed with a 69 Ram Air III engine. The Vega got good mileage and that was about it.

After about a month the Vega got some tuning. It was the 2bbl carb, the GT engine and a four speed. A buddy recurved the distributor, added some Mallory ignition parts at the same time. I “forgot” to put the spark delay system back on it, with that and a “performance” modification to the air cleaner it would chirp the tires in a third gear power shift.

Added the GT gauges and steering wheel from a totaled car in back of the dealership.

I replaced one head gasket at 50k, coolant leak due to rust out. We replaced the fendersmunder GM special policy for rustout and added the late 74 fender splash shields, it helped working in a Chevy dealership.

The car was traded in at just less than three years ownership with a bit over 100k on it. Only reason was the heavy duty rear shocks I put on it created too much stress on the floor pan and tore one mount out. Estimate to fix it was 300 bucks, I traded it in the next day and got 650 for it, only paid about 2200 for it new.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I was going to ask about Pacer’s and Pinto’s.

Can't speak to Pacers, but I owned a 74 Pinto Wagon for a time. Shit brown. That was a great car. I even called it home for several months prior to pulling my head out of my ass.

I went all over the country in that thing and it never failed me...except when the water pump went out one winter day in downtown Chicago. Below zero and God knows how bad the wind was blowing that day and there I was working on my car on the street. Dang! Those were the days! Big Grin

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post