SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Found Lots of Photos---Scanner Suggestions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found Lots of Photos---Scanner Suggestions? Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
When my Dad passed away in March, I knew he had lots of family photos in boxes that I'd have to go through. But I didn't know he had literally hundreds of pictures, way too many to display or put in bulky albums.

I want to scan them all and have plenty of room on portable hard drives. But the problem is that I don't want to use my regular printer scanner because the sheer number of photos will probably wear it out and ruin a great printer.

Does anyone have an idea for a good hi-res color scanner that will stand up to several straight days of heavy use?

Thanks!

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Student of Weapons Craft
Picture of Exodus
posted Hide Post
It might be better to pay someine else to do it: https://legacybox.com

If you must DIY, buy a dedicated photo scanner, like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H...gid=pla-384873896628

Posts: 259 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
We bought my grandpa legacy boxes, a lot of them. I need to find out if he has the disks yet. They seem to be a little more pricey than other options. The benefit is they are very easy. Load up box of whatever (slides, pics, reel to reel, VHS, BETA) mail it to them in their box, get disk(s) back.

ETA VHS is now so old, my phone didn't accept it as a word and auto corrected it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I had to do this myself after losing family members and ended up with thousands of negatives, slides and pictures. (Many of these pictures were the only copy left and quite sentimentally valuable).

In my case I went with a slightly older firewire-capable scanner, a Canon 9950f. The reason I went with this model was it came with a full selection of slide/negative/film holders w/lighted lid. Much heavier made than most of the current scanners.
(You may have some people tell you some older scanners are not compatible with Windows 10 or Mac- that's wrong. Most ANY scanner can be if you do a little research), although the original software may not work.
I found what worked best was to get a Twain driver and scan directly into Photoshop or use something like Vuescan as the scanning app, which I found was one of the best performing. Vuescan is available for PC or Mac.

One little observation about the feed-type scanners. If you have old pictures that are fragile and have cracks/broken sections this is NOT the scanner for you. Flat tray scanners are much friendlier for that type of delicate scanning, and allow scanning of multiple pictures at a time.
Most important, if the pictures are old enough to have begun flaking/shedding paper you'll end up with debris in the optics on that type.
(Ran into this originally).

I found another one of these Canons later and have one on a Mac and one on a Alienware. A scanner like this is tough enough to do what you want- I've already scanned over probably 1,800 slides, films and photos.

In the case of my photos I found that only a small percentage of the older pictures did not require some level of repair/cleaning. With this required volume of Photoshop work and scanning it can get quite expensive if farmed out. The physical scanning is the easiest part- the cleanup takes longer-

Start with the easy photos and save the damaged ones for late night quiet work.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
We bought my grandpa legacy boxes, a lot of them. I need to find out if he has the disks yet. They seem to be a little more pricey than other options. The benefit is they are very easy. Load up box of whatever (slides, pics, reel to reel, VHS, BETA) mail it to them in their box, get disk(s) back.

ETA VHS is now so old, my phone didn't accept it as a word and auto corrected it.

How much correction will Legacybox do? That’s the time consumer and skilled labor part of it which might make the price worthwhile.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
For work I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap that has a sheet-feed fax machine type feeder. It scans to pdfs and has very good resolution. Its $400-$450 though.

quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
When my Dad passed away in March, I knew he had lots of family photos in boxes that I'd have to go through. But I didn't know he had literally hundreds of pictures, way too many to display or put in bulky albums.

I want to scan them all and have plenty of room on portable hard drives. But the problem is that I don't want to use my regular printer scanner because the sheer number of photos will probably wear it out and ruin a great printer.

Does anyone have an idea for a good hi-res color scanner that will stand up to several straight days of heavy use?

Thanks!

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Legacy Box sponsors Rush Limbaugh. Use the code ‘Rush’ for 40 percent off your first order.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2836 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I assume you guys were happy with Legacy Box’s service? I need to look into something like this too.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Much color and exposure correction can be done after scanning using something like Lightroom.

I am in the process of digitizing thousands of slides. I have a very good scanner, a Nikon ED5000 and a slide feeder. However, I prefer using my Olympus OM-D E-M5 camera, tethered to my computer, and a simple Nikon slide copy holder that holds the slide in front of a macro lens, with an LED panel in front of the copy holder to illuminate the slide. This allows me to focus and adjust the slide prior to copying, and is if anything faster, and certainly equal in resolution, to the slide scanner.

Now for prints, I use a Fujitsu scanner that has both a flat bed and a feeder. You can use a print holder to decrease the risk of damage to the print running it through the scan feeder.

If it were a matter of hundreds of prints rather than thousands of slides, I would send them to a service, have them digitize the prints, then make corrections with the digitized copies.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post