SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Property Rights Get Their Day in Court
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Property Rights Get Their Day in Court Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Civil asset forfeitures make no knock warrants look reasonable.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
BamaJeepster, I do not think the link you posted is the one you meant to post. Smile

I did find it useful, however.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
That any agency can still steal someone’s money without being able to link it DIRECTLY to a crime is an absurdity.

I am so glad to live in a place where "Due Process" is enshrined in our Constitution, and defended vigilantly by our elected and appointed officials."

Oh, wait.....

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
BamaJeepster, I do not think the link you posted is the one you meant to post. Smile

I did find it useful, however.

Oops Big Grin Big Grin

Here's an Excel-lent link - the one I meant to post:
https://www.fox13memphis.com/t...egislators/495948192

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Still_Bill is right, Sessions is a big fan of asset forfeiture.
And as virtually always, Justice Thomas is in the right. I do hope Kavanaugh can be confirmed quickly. Then I hope we get another seat available in this term.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
If you believe in the constitution ...

If you believe in the Constitution, you aren't a Democrat. And if you live in California and believe in the Constitition, you are an endangered species. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Yes. It was then a main cause of the Civil War, and finally took a Constitutional Amendment or two, to finally overrule.

Exactly, which means that the courts are NOT always Constitutional. How about Obamacare? Same damn thing. The Supreme court has said that the feds can FORCE you and I to buy anything they say.

My point: Big Gov rules are there to shield/protect/promote the weak. The strong and knowledgeable know the rules of God. IMO, God is superior to all. Even the Declaration of Independence says this. The resulting Declaration of Independence, drafted by Thomas Jefferson and edited by his fellow delegates, contains a theory of rights that depends on a Supreme Being, not man, for its validity. The Declaration states that “all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I think I understand the appeal of asset forfeiture. It is outrageous that “crime pays.”

If you rob a bank, the money you take does not become yours. You have possession of it, but when you are caught and the cash taken into custody, it still belongs to the bank. In no case is it given to government, especially to the agency that recovered it.

Moreover, the robber does not surrender all money he has, over and above the cash taken by robbery. The police may be interested in investigating where your money came from, and that may raise other issues, but the burden is on the police to figure it out.

In these asset forfeiture cases, the assets appear to belong to the victim. Without more, what justification is there for immediate seizure without any process at all, no court order, etc., merely the decision of the police to take it?

In some cases, there is substantial reason to believe the cash or other asset is an instrumentality of crime. Property of known drug dealer is an example. Investigation reveals his or her involvement, assets are acquired by this suspect, no other source of income is apparent. Agents as part of the arrest can physically seize and record seizure notices as to real estate assets for example, or take possession of cars, boats, airplanes.

In many cases, most of the ones we hear about, the only circumstance is a person in possession of a significant amount of currency, more than normal, let’s say, no known or suspected involvement with drug or other crime. Many times, the explanation of innocence is entirely plausible, but no authorities go to the trouble to check it out.

This is rotten. The incentives are all wrong.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A man in the city near me had a break in. I believe he shot and wounded the intruder. Not sure if held him for police or he got away.

But city police come and think it is a drug deal gone wrong and accuse home owner.

He says, no the intruder must have found out that home owner does not trust banks and wants to rob $300K in his safe.
Police lay all of homeowners guns out on front lawn, call new paper to shoot pics of his "arsenal" about 10 guns.
They then take the mans $300K and keep it.

Man raises hell on national media. FBI steps in and takes $300K from city police and keeps it.

Eventually maybe 8-10 yrs, man gets money back.
Just a hard working, money saving, tax payer.
In case you want to look it up, happened in Lima , Ohio if that helps.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
If you believe in the constitution ...

If you believe in the Constitution, you aren't a Democrat. And if you live in California and believe in the Constitition, you are an endangered THE HUNTED species. Roll Eyes

Fixed

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think if they want to continue the farce of CAF, then if proven wrong, not only does the victim get ALL his possessions back, but he also gets the possessions of those that took his in the first place...house, cars, bank account, retirement funds...the works...

still want to do CAF and risk losing everything you've worked for your entire life?

or do you want to engage in real police work and earn your paycheck

CAF is bullshit - always has been and always will be

its one of the reasons I believe in don't get mad, get even

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
From a quick search, the main one appears to be Austin v. United States. There are others pertaining to particular aspects of the policy.

quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Civil forfeiture cases have gone to the SCOTUS before, and the practice in general has been deemed to not violate the Constitution.

You wouldn’t happen to have a case cite handy, would you? I need to rereview this.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with you. I can see seizing and holding assets as part of an arrest / criminal case until the criminal case resolves.

But here's the kicker, why it's call "civil" forfeiture, and why your analogy illegal detention doesn't play. It's done as a civil case under civil law, not as a criminal case under criminal law. The rules are completely different. Criminal law is somewhat tilted to the defendant in that the government must prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt. In civil cases, the parties are considered equal, and the decision goes in favor of who can present the bigger "preponderance of evidence". So it's just not considered a criminal issue. Think more in terms of one a victim sues someone in civil court about what would also be considered a criminal matter (something like the bajillion women suing Harvey Weinstein for various sexual harrasment issues.)

quote:
quote:
Civil forfeiture cases have gone to the SCOTUS before, and the practice in general has been deemed to not violate the Constitution.

Just to be clear - I am aware that the issue has been litigated in court and found to be OK. I completely disagree with the ruling since I am able to read and comprehend things on my own. The courts have gotten it wrong and there is no support for such a practice in the constitution. The whole concept of innocent until proven guilty, the foundations of due process, and the concept of private property are in direct opposition to any such practice. Let the .gov seize their property when they have committed no crime and see how long the practice remains in effect. It's a shocking violation of the very founding principles of this country.

I don't see any difference in this versus illegally detaining someone if they are not charged with a crime. You think a guy is a drug dealer and the cash he is carrying is illegal proceeds from the illegal activity? Feel free to seize it and charge him with the crime and if he's found guilty, keep it. Don't have a case against him and are not going to charge him with a crime? Too bad, the guy gets to keep his cash until you can prove it's been obtained illegally. If that means some nefarious cash slips thru the cracks, that's just too bad.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
From a quick search, the main one appears to be Austin v. United States. There are others pertaining to particular aspects of the policy.

quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

You wouldn’t happen to have a case cite handy, would you? I need to rereview this.

Thanks. That rests on 8th Amendment excess punishments, etc.

What happens if there is no crime ever charged?

Very troubling.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tend to agree with you. I can see seizing and holding assets as part of an arrest / criminal case until the criminal case resolves.

But here's the kicker, why it's call "civil" forfeiture, and why your analogy illegal detention doesn't play. It's done as a civil case under civil law, not as a criminal case under criminal law. The rules are completely different. Criminal law is somewhat tilted to the defendant in that the government must prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt. In civil cases, the parties are considered equal, and the decision goes in favor of who can present the bigger "preponderance of evidence". So it's just not considered a criminal issue. Think more in terms of one a victim sues someone in civil court about what would also be considered a criminal matter (something like the bajillion women suing Harvey Weinstein for various sexual harrasment issues.)

Several issues with this. I hadn't really thought of the 'civil' angle in civil asset forfeiture. But, the problem I have with that is that following this concept the government assumes ownership of everything in the country unless you can prove otherwise. If anyone else takes my property from me, it's a criminal offense - theft. The same should apply to the government seizing property that is in my possession.

I don't understand the concept under which the government can take something that is in the possession of a free citizen. I can't go to my neighbors house and take his car and force him to go to court to prove that it belongs to him.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't understand the concept under which the government can take something that is in the possession of a free citizen. I can't go to my neighbors house and take his car and force him to go to court to prove that it belongs to him.

Some animals are more equal than others.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
The problem is that CAF appeals to politicians/judges on both the right and the left.

Those on the right support CAF because they are tough on crime.

Those on the left hate private property and love to steal it.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Armed robbers deserve a bullet or a noose, but I might be placated with racketeering charges against the judges who promote this bullshit.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They need the money for their office parties.

https://www.texasattorneygener...ovdelivery&utm_term=

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post