SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alas, Dark Skies is no more, at least for us Android Users
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alas, Dark Skies is no more, at least for us Android Users Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
There a very few apps on my phone that I really like and use on almost a daily basis. The Dark Skies weather app is one of those apps. Living in Central Florida, weather tracking is something you keep up with daily, if not hourly at times. Dark Skies has been a very reliable tool in keeping me prepared for weather. Now thanks to Apple we second class Android users will no longer have access to the program after July 1. Gee thanks.

Apple acquires popular weather app Dark Sky and will shut down the Android version

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Dammit, I just switched back to Dark Sky.

I had been using Weather Underground for years, but then IBM took it over and released a new version of the app with a pretty new interface, but a BUNCH of missing features and no widgets. Apparently I'm not the only one who is pissed, since that "update," the overall rating for the app went from four-point-something stars to 2.6.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
“Our goal has always been to provide the world with the best weather information possible, to help as many people as we can stay dry and safe, and to do so in a way that respects your privacy,” Dark Sky co-founder Adam Grossman writes in the post. “ There is no better place to accomplish these goals than at Apple. We’re thrilled to have the opportunity to reach far more people, with far more impact, than we ever could alone.”

Sounds like you should be angry with Google/Android and not Apple.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Been using this for years and have tried just about every other one available for android:

Highly recommended:

https://play.google.com/store/...dio.weatherhere.free

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
“Our goal has always been to provide the world with the best weather information possible, to help as many people as we can stay dry and safe, and to do so in a way that respects your privacy,” Dark Sky co-founder Adam Grossman writes in the post. “ There is no better place to accomplish these goals than at Apple. We’re thrilled to have the opportunity to reach far more people, with far more impact, than we ever could alone.”

Riddle me this. Dark Skies has been available as a stand alone program for both Apple and Android for as long as I can remember. How does shutting down the program to all Android users equal "the opportunity to reach far more people than we ever could alone." Just more corporate double speak and BS. I wish these clowns would just be honest with all of us and admit they opted for the 'take the money and run' approach to doing business with Apple. They aren't the first and they won't be the last to sell out to the Cook Cartel. Wink

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Been using this for years and have tried just about every other one available for android:

Highly recommended:

Does that app send you notifications say 20 minutes ahead of what the program believes to be rain in your particular (i.e. according to the GPS in your phone) location? That's the feature of Dark Skies that's saved my bacon more than a couple times.

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

Riddle me this. Dark Skies has been available as a stand alone program for both Apple and Android for as long as I can remember. How does shutting down the program to all Android users equal "the opportunity to reach far more people than we ever could alone." Just more corporate double speak and BS. I wish these clowns would just be honest with all of us and admit they opted for the 'take the money and run' approach to doing business with Apple. They aren't the first and they won't be the last to sell out to the Cook Cartel. Wink

Because instead of being downloaded by thousands of users on Android and iPhone it will now come as bloatware on millions of iPhones......

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

I doubt Apple is shutting-down support for Android, etc. because of Google's/Android's poor security and privacy. More likely they're simply turning the Dark Skies into an iOS app, like any other iOS app. I imagine it will replace Apple's current iOS weather app.

I'm not sure doing what they are is a good idea, though. Losing all that end-user data from Android devices will certainly negatively impact the accuracy, timeliness, and reliability of the app's coming weather predictions.

quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Because instead of being downloaded by thousands of users on Android and iPhone it will now come as bloatware on millions of iPhones......

See above.

Btw: Unlike Android phones, where you're stuck with the bloatware, you can unload most unwanted iOS apps to the cloud, so they aren't taking up space.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Highly recommended:

Does that app send you notifications say 20 minutes ahead of what the program believes to be rain in your particular (i.e. according to the GPS in your phone) location? That's the feature of Dark Skies that's saved my bacon more than a couple times.

Unfortunately no. That said the hourly forecast window is pretty accurate showing when to expect precip and how much. Lots of options and you can stretch things out horizontally as opposed to the 2 hour label I've opted for here for next Wednesday.

Maps show lightening strikes too somewhat like Windy app does.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Anyone try Ventusky?

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Highly recommended:

Today Weather does that, and it's pretty slick too. It's ad supported, but they're somewhat unobtrusive, and there's a paid version too.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
quote:

Highly recommended:

Today Weather does that, and it's pretty slick too. It's ad supported, but they're somewhat unobtrusive, and there's a paid version too.
Can you post a link please. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
I've been using windy.com and their android app. Forecast, radar, ground level wind and wind aloft, among other features.

It does not offer any pre alert I've found, but everything else seems pretty accurate.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
How does shutting down the program to all Android users equal "the opportunity to reach far more people than we ever could alone." Just more corporate double speak and BS. I wish these clowns would just be honest with all of us and admit they opted for the 'take the money and run' approach to doing business with Apple. They aren't the first and they won't be the last to sell out to the Cook Cartel. Wink

Having sold a business to a larger corporation, I have first hand experience of the absurdity of acquisition press releases, and yes, it's total corporate double speak and BS.

It is understandable why, however, Apple would want to buy Dark Sky.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notice!
I was able to cancel subscription before it renewed.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post