SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The latest in the grease gun follies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The latest in the grease gun follies Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So tonight I pull out the gg to service the tractor and rotary mower. It is a pretty good napa unit loaded with Lucas red and tacky. I notice a syrup of purple puring out the bottom or the unit by the silver release. Not just a drip or two but a good amount of liquid. wth, this is a messy job to begin with. Now it just turned into a huge frigin mess. Ended up pulling out the half filled tube of grease and cleaning the head and tube unit. now i am wondering if I should even reload it. Any ideas what would cause that much syrup to accumulate in the bottom. When I took the tube out the grease looked good

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Aw, shucks! I was expecting something about an M-3.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I've had the same problem with some grease myself but haven't paid enough attention to brands to know which to avoid or even if it matters, probably not other than the added mess. I don't use it a lot and it is kept in non climate controlled space. It just separates over a long period of time, not a confidence inspiring event for the grease.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I’ve had that happen with all kinds of grease I use for my tractors and equipment. And in several grease guns.
It’s just part of doing tractor stuff. Been doing it 40 years.
I grease em about 2 times a year.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Grease is a complex mixture. The oil serves to carry the working chemistry around. There are three parts to grease. Additive, Thickener, and Oil. You probably are dealing with the separation of base oil and the thickener.

The additive chemistry and thickener do the work of protecting the metal parts. The oil is there to make them transportable to the parts.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
That is an ongonng problem if you use occasionally.
I pull the charge handle back to loading position for long time stowage

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Last I heard some models might still have some SS blood on them, so I'd not replace it if yours is one of those models.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, all good to know. I appreciate it. Sincerely, orc

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I just hang mine over an old coffee can, and let it drip.

I don’t remember having to do that in the old days.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post