SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hey, baseball fans- remember all those steroids Mark McGwire took? Yeah, he says they made no difference
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey, baseball fans- remember all those steroids Mark McGwire took? Yeah, he says they made no difference Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Mark McGwire says he 'definitely' could have hit 70 home runs without PEDs

quote:
The longtime Athletics and Cardinals slugger believes he would have reached the mark even without the use of performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs), The Athletic reported Monday.

“Absolutely,” he told the online sports outlet. “I just know myself. I just know. I was a born home run hitter. I mean, unfortunately, I did [take PEDs]. And I’ve regretted that. I’ve talked about that. I regretted it. I didn’t need to. That's the thing. Didn’t need to.”

McGwire added, “But I know. Deep down inside, I know me as a hitter. And I know what I did in that box. And I know how strong my mind is. And I know what kind of hitter I became. And yes. Yes. Definitely.”

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Hes dilusional.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Believes his own BS!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
McGwire looked as comfortable and natural swinging a bat as any hitter I've seen. I doubt PED's hurt his performance.

I do credit him with as amazing a sports feat I may have seen. Back in the day, in the PGA's off season, they held a skills challenge. I don't remember, maybe about ten touring pros faced off for two days of different golf situations.

They'd throw in some non-golf athlete for whatever reason. McGwire won that in fairly dominant fashion.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I doubt PED's hurt his performance.
Well, uhh, yeah. Confused

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
My dad was correct when he said it takes raw talent to hit a round ball with a round bat. He was of the camp that said steroids didn't matter one way or the other.

OK...I'll give him that it takes talent to hit the ball. But my debate with my dad was that PED's didn't necessarily make hitting the ball "easier", but what it did do was enable the abuser to recuperate and heal faster in those back-to-back-to-back games, thus allowing the abuser to be better rested in the 4th game of that road trip and having the strength to hit those home runs.

Others not taking PED's wouldn't be as rested and therefore not as strong. That's the edge I think PED's gave those guys...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just know.

No, you don't know. You never will.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
Yeah OK - That sounds about right Mark. You just keep telling yourself that. Roll Eyes

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Considering since the PED era has been over. Very few have been able to crest 50 home runs let alone even get close to 70.

Yeah, Mark Barry, A-Rod that whole crew sucks!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
My dad was correct when he said it takes raw talent to hit a round ball with a round bat. He was of the camp that said steroids didn't matter one way or the other.

That is a total crock. Yeah, it mattered. Did you see how it physically changed their bodies. Marc M. and Barry B. and Roger C. were the really obvious ones. Yeah, it mattered. They all cheated themselves, those they competed against and those that paid to see them.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Barry Bonds went from looking underweight to bulked up.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:...They all cheated ..

To me that's the main point. They were intentionally dishonest for personal gain. (And now he claims we would have been just as good had he been honest).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Scoutmaster,

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I thought Mark didn't want to talk about the past?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:OK...I'll give him that it takes talent to hit the ball. But my debate with my dad was that PED's didn't necessarily make hitting the ball "easier", but what it did do was enable the abuser to recuperate and heal faster in those back-to-back-to-back games, thus allowing the abuser to be better rested in the 4th game of that road trip and having the strength to hit those home runs.

"Hitting it" is one thing. That's probably an innate talent enhanced by years of practice. "Hitting the crap out of it" is definitely enhanced by PEDs.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Wonder what he's taking now? Surely it isn't a Mensa supplement.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubdubu
posted Hide Post
I was a Cardinals fan at the time when McGire started here. It was exciting to watch the home run race between him and Sosa. Then came the steroids. Haven't followed baseball since that bullshit.

Posts: 68 | Location: St Louis Co, Mo | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Asterisk behind his name, FOR LIFE.

Fucking cheater.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yeah, Barry Bonds went from looking underweight to bulked up.

Just a little bit

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Totally legit.

Before

After

After after

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
After Barry left baseball I had an occasion to talk with a former pro athlete turned orthopedic surgeon about Barry, his steroids and all that. During his pro days the doctor was good friends with Bobby, Barry's dad. Saw Barry as a kid all the way up through his baseball days.

He says without a doubt Barry is a prick with a huge ego and ego is why he used the PEDs. McGuire, Sosa and others were getting the headlines, money and flash and Barry wanted that too.

That said, he didn't fault Barry or the others for taking them because the steroids didn't give them any faster bat swing or hand eye coordination. These people all had trenendous athletic ability without the PEDs and they all were potential HOF material regardless.

As far as hitting the ball farther, he also said that the sanctuary of revered stats that fans are in love with isn't so sacred in the history of baseball and monkeying around with the game continues to this day.

Owners change the field dimensions for their hitters, they change the distance behind home plate and down the lines to catch more outs that might have gone into the stands.

So yes, McGuire is correct in that he was a natural born hiter who used PEDs to help his talent. Would Hank Aaron have made his record if the mound height hadn't been changed a few years earlier? Players used huge gloves to catch balls they might not catch so the game is messed with by everyone but the core talent doesn't change.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post