SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Stainless Steel frying pan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Stainless Steel frying pan Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Well, new to me. Used to be my brother's until I accidentally scorched it turning on the wrong burner. I bought him a brand new one, and now own a stainless steel pan. I already abraded out the burn marks and re-seasoned the surface (I know that many people say don't season SS, but decided to do it given the circumstances). It looks fine now.

Question, should I keep it? I'm used to cast iron and Teflon-coated. Any advantages to SS? Googled a lot of varying opinion on this, what say you forum people? Also got a SS spatula to go with it (it had been scorched as well, but fully-recovered now).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Cooking with SS cookware is great.

Heat empty pan for a few minutes on med heat.
When the pan is hot, add oil.
Then add your food.

Used this way, food won't stick.

Clean with Barkeeper's Friend.

Remember: Hot pan, cold oil, then add food.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I'm seeing that saying come up a lot.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BarKeepers Friend is your friend.
The new sitter scorched one Friday. Good as new after I got home and scrubbed it.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a set of S/S pans for over 30 years. It still looks new. Bar Keeper Friend or Cameo are great. For really really bad burns, a slow boil with with a lot of baking soda in enough water to cover the black spot will soften it up.

Posts: 185 | Location: Deep Creek Lake, MD, Stuart, FL.  | Registered: December 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
SS actually works better than nonstick when you are trying to develop a fond in your recipe.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I prefer cast iron, enameled iron, or carbon steel.

Stainless CAN take the place of the enameled iron for acidic foods like pasta sauce; regular cast iron and carbon steel shouldn't be used for those.

https://www.cooksillustrated.c...eel-versus-cast-iron

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I love my SS pans. I can clean ANYTHING out of it with a simple green scrubby pad. Girlfriend's Philippino food and other stuff almost requires it. Lot of browning of meat then adding water/broth to pull the caramelized bits up for flavor. She ruined a couple of my non stick ones doing it. Great for making gravy/sauce with meat scraps. They definitely serve a purpose in my kitchen.

Excellent for making taco meat too. Same as above. Brown meat real good, I like to almost burn the outside of it before breaking it up. When mostly browned and broken completely up, add a half cup of water or so and it will drawl the yummy burnt bits up into the meat, add taco seasoning (kit, homemade, whatever), half cup of salsa, and cook until reduced.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I love my SS pans. I can clean ANYTHING out of it with a simple green scrubby pad. Girlfriend's Philippino food and other stuff almost requires it. Lot of browning of mean then adding water/broth to pull the caramelized bits up for flavor. She ruined a couple of my non stick ones doing it. Great for making gravy/sauce with meat scraps. They definitely serve a purpose in my kitchen.

That might wrap it up. I do those kind of things all the time.

Another instance of something bad really the start of something good. PTL.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I use cast iron 90% of the time. The other 10% is stainless. No more teflon in my kitchen.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
I use cast iron 90% of the time. The other 10% is stainless. No more teflon in my kitchen.

I'm now wondering if I should just toss the Teflon pan. I do hear that many people keep one coated pan around just for eggs.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
just for eggs.

Do this for sure. Really one of the only things you need them for. Also good for grilled cheese.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yup, we're all ss or cast iron, but keep one small teflon pan for eggs. When it gets scratched, it gets tossed and another small purchased to replace it. Steel and iron can be brought back to serviceable from conditions where most people would simply toss it.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
If I treat my stainless as I do my CI I get the same good results.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

I'm now wondering if I should just toss the Teflon pan. I do hear that many people keep one coated pan around just for eggs.

I use my cast iron for eggs whether it be fried or scrambled. I can use the SS for eggs but it is less forgiving.

The keys to making it work is a good preheat and then adding a spray of oil or butter or whatever you choose. Fried are easy. Scrambled are a little harder as you have to keep them moving so the oil barrier gets lost. Sometimes you have to reapply a bit. I've settled into beatibgbthe eggs well and letting them cook about 80% before touching them again. Then I work them around with a spatula to get the right texture. I get a little sticking but it's not bad and it's worth it to not use teflon.

Don't be too quick to toss the teflon, though. Keep it around while you learn.

Again, with either the CI or SS a gentle but thorough preheat is key.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Yup, we're all ss or cast iron, but keep one small teflon pan for eggs. When it gets scratched, it gets tossed and another small purchased to replace it. Steel and iron can be brought back to serviceable from conditions where most people would simply toss it.

I don't think many (any?) nonstick fry pans have Teflon nowadays. I have quite a bit of experience with nonstick fry pans. The Kyocera pans are the best ones that I've found. Excellent nonstick performance, and durable. Mine looks (and works) like new after several years of careful use. Kyocera says that you can use metal utensils, but I'm skeptical of that claim – I use my good silicone and nylon utensils. I mostly use my Kyocera pan for eggs, and to sauté veggies.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

I use my cast iron for eggs whether it be fried or scrambled. I can use the SS for eggs but it is less forgiving.

The keys to making it work is a good preheat and then adding a spray of oil or butter or whatever you choose. Fried are easy. Scrambled are a little harder as you have to keep them moving so the oil barrier gets lost. Sometimes you have to reapply a bit. I've settled into beatibgbthe eggs well and letting them cook about 80% before touching them again. Then I work them around with a spatula to get the right texture. I get a little sticking but it's not bad and it's worth it to not use teflon.

Don't be too quick to toss the teflon, though. Keep it around while you learn.

Again, with either the CI or SS a gentle but thorough preheat is key.

I eat eggs two or three times a week minimum and always use cast iron. You just have to keep the heat low and take.your.time. Never have any problems, but you are right regarding scrambled eggs. They can get a little messy. I always make cheese omelettes for that reason.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post