SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did they use before DEET?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did they use before DEET? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
When Mrs.BurtonRW and I head for the jungles of Costa Rica for vacation, we swear by picaridin (and permethrin for our clothes).

Exactly what I used for my trip to Africa last year. Malaria is no joke.

Here’s the stuff I used, Natrapel:
Link

And Sawyer’s makes the spray bottles of permethrin which you spray on your clothes and let them dry, good for 25 washings they say.
No odor, no greasy feeling.

Posts: 18054 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
What I didn't know until I read the Adventures of Lewis and Clark that malaria was endemic in the western half of the U.S. DEET would have been handy back then.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Supposedly if you take garlic capsules regularly it is supposed to keep them from biting?

I am sure there is something natural, I just cannot think of it right now.

Keeps you from getting laid, too.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Or having friends.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Apparently, really bad body odor naturally repels skeeters.

Like I commented to Aquabird, not good for your sex life Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Mosquitos find you via your exhale, then via sight, then via your heat signature.

Smoke wI'll help mask all of those. Stay downwind of your bee smoker. Wink

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Long sleeves, long pants, and sit close to your relatives while outside so you can slap the skeeters off of each other...

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
My grandmother would slather us all down with Campho-Phenique (I was always surprised it wasn't a Feen-A-Mint or an Ex Lax or God forbid, an enema...that was her go to remedy for everything in life)...

And let me add...you NEVER wanted to get that shit in your eyes!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to look it up; but it was a compound called 6-2-2 developed for the Army in WWII. DEET goes back to 1946; the stuff the troops got from them on through Vietnam and quite some time later was about 75% DEET and related compounds. The rest was denatured alcohol.

Malaria, scrub typhus, dengue, etc. were major issues for troops then in many theaters. 6-2-2 wasn't all that effective, thus research began in 1941 that ultimately gave us DEET.

Permetherin is the standard for today, until the next big disease outbreak at least. Apply it to socks, jeans, skivvies, hat, as other responders have mentioned. DDT is still in use in some parts of the world (or in stock..) for malaria control.

Posts: 3220 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
The next few weeks are going to suck.

I see what you did there...........

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
When Mrs.BurtonRW and I head for the jungles of Costa Rica for vacation, we swear by picaridin (and permethrin for our clothes).

Exactly what I used for my trip to Africa last year. Malaria is no joke.

Here’s the stuff I used, Natrapel:
Link

And Sawyer’s makes the spray bottles of permethrin which you spray on your clothes and let them dry, good for 25 washings they say.
No odor, no greasy feeling.

Thank you both. I just ordered a bottle of permethrin and picaridin lotion. Mosquitoes love me. I'm going to douse my uniform and see how the permethrin works for me.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try rubbing dryer sheets on exposed skin.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post