SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did they use before DEET?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did they use before DEET? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
DEET has been around since the '40s. The stuff works well enough certainly, but I'm not exactly comfortable slathering myself up with chemicals these days.

I'm curious what was the preferred method of repellings skeeters way back when.

Anybody old enough to remember?

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Cyanide and morphine

Sorry, wait. That's my shopping list.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I love me some DEET, but when I'm looking for something less harsh, I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/EcoSMAR...-Ounce/dp/B001B67IHK

All natural ingredients, etc and it smells nice too.

I'd imagine way back they may have used these ingredients...Rosemary oil ...0.5%Cinnamon Leaf Oil ...0.5%Lemongrass Oil ...0.5%Geranoil...

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Might have to give that a try Ramius, thanks. Looks like decent reviews.

Our annual hatch came off yesterday and the little bastards are just voracious. There's so many of them you worry about being picked up and carried off. I can't even get into my garden area without being swarmed.

I'm going to try to get the weed whacker out, trim everything down to the ground then hose it down with malathion (not the actual garden). That'll help.

Thankfully, our season only lasts a couple of weeks around here. Once everything dries out they die off, but we've got near record run-off and flooding this year so it's going to be a bad one.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid my folks used oil of camphor. It was a brown oily liquid that came in little brown bottles. Smelled OK, we’d put a little here and there. You didn’t need to cover up in it.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't remember what we used in the old days but it didn't work very well.

Posts: 9502 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Avon Skin So Soft cream works well for repelling skeeter's. We've used for years and no harsh chemicals.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Supposedly if you take garlic capsules regularly it is supposed to keep them from biting?

I am sure there is something natural, I just cannot think of it right now.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Apparently, really bad body odor naturally repels skeeters.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There are various plant oils that repel bugs too, like citronella, lemongrass, eucalyptus, peppermint, and cedar.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Avon Skin So Soft cream works well for repelling skeeter's. We've used for years and no harsh chemicals.

Jim

Yeah, this works too. Always used it while crabbing to combat skeeters.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've tried the Avon SSS in the past without much luck. There must be something with my particular body chemistry as those little bastards go after me like there's no tomorrow.

Tried going down to the garden this morning while it was still cool (thinking they wouldn't be active yet) and it was a bloodbath.

The next few weeks are going to suck. I'll have to get my beekeeping gear on to do anything outdoors.

Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Apparently, really bad body odor naturally repels skeeters.

Funny you should mention that. A guy I used to work with always bragged that skeeters never bothered him at all. Of course, he was not what you'd call a clean person either. The stink he left behind was awful.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
6-12! The insect repellent for REAL outdoor people!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fctS-9Q7LA

"Ethylhexanediol, also known as Rutgers 612 or "6-12 repellent," discontinued in the US in 1991 due to evidence of causing developmental defects in animals[2]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect_repellent

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Hang a Thermacell off your belt. They work great when stationary but I have never used them while moving around.

https://www.thermacell.com

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I've tried the Avon SSS in the past without much luck. There must be something with my particular body chemistry as those little bastards go after me like there's no tomorrow.

Tried going down to the garden this morning while it was still cool (thinking they wouldn't be active yet) and it was a bloodbath.

The next few weeks are going to suck. I'll have to get my beekeeping gear on to do anything outdoors.
I don't use the regular skin so soft, but instead use Avon's Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus IR3535® Expedition™ SPF 30. They added Merck's IR3535 mosquito repellent to Skin so Soft and they've added sun screen. I use it when golfing, gardening, etc. Unlike DEET, it doesn't stink, doesn't yellow clothing, and doesn't dissolve plastics. It doesn't apply to either one of us, but it's also safe for use even on infants, pregnant and breastfeeding women.

I found this stuff after moving to the northern burbs of Houston in '16. I added this disclaimer because I didn't know about it when I lived in Alaska where there were clouds of mosquitoes.

Avon also makes another Bug Guard version called Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Picaridin where they've used Bayer's Picaridin instead of Merck's IR3535 and omitted the sunscreen. I have not tried this one. The IR3535 isn't effective as long as Picaridin, but I'm not outside more than IR3535's limits plus I'm more likely to be outside when I need sunscreen.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
DDT

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I’m guessing just hanging around with someone the skeeters like better. I’m so attractive to mosquitoes my wife never gets bit.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
When Mrs.BurtonRW and I head for the jungles of Costa Rica for vacation, we swear by picaridin (and permethrin for our clothes).

It works flawlessly.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I have found that big nasty cigars keep the skeeters away.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post