SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Zee Germans have a halo bike (BMW HP4 Race)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zee Germans have a halo bike (BMW HP4 Race) Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
It looks like BMW wants to offer something wild for a select few moto entheusists with VERY deep pockets. Sporting a carbon fiber frame, carbon fiber wheels and a hand built engine the specs are impressive, 215 hp and a 377 lb curb weight. BMW claims only 750 will be made and they cost $87,000 each. Eek

Link to Cycle World article

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Should be pretty quickly. Where do you buy parts??

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And a well tuned $15K Hayabusa probably will blow the wheels off it.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

I'd take that bet, especially if anything other than a straight line is involved and probably even then!

Power to weight = BMW wins.

Carbon wheels are nice, but track only. Sure are pretty though!

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
As far as track bikes go this BMW is incredible.

Sure a Hayabusa with a turbo or nitrous can smoke it in a straight line for maybe $15-25k but I doubt any Hayabusa in existence could hang with it on a track. The super light weight and suspension bits are straight from WSBK. I bet this is BMW wicked fast around a track. But then again at $87,000 a pop I'd be scared to ride one hard.

The part I found most interesting is BMW's claim that the CF frame is designed to be the last bit to fail in a crash. If the CF frames do turn out to be strong they might end up on more manufacturers premium and ultra premium Superbike offerings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
It's a Glock... Cool

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bike. The cool thing about motorcycles is the super bikes are still at the price point of the ubiquitous luxury SUVs I see all over the Portland area. SuperCARS cost more than most houses!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its cool. But I just bought a BMW S 1000 XR. Any more power than it has would be way too much ball for my alley!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:

Carbon wheels are nice, but track only. Sure are pretty though!

Just for my own knowledge why is that. Road cars have used carbon wheels and I would think a super car would put more stresses on a wheel than a 250lb bike?

Posts: 3915 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
You just might have a point. I suppose I confused magnesium moto wheels with these.

I was in error.

Mag wheels don't handle potholes well.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Oh how I love the BMW motorcycles!

I would really love to get some saddle time on a R1200GS(A), S1000R, and S1000RR.

But I just couldn't bring myself to go with them with the closest dealer around being 100 miles away.

Glad to see that they are continuing to refine the platform though!

In the mean time I'll continue to enjoy my Yamaha Super Tenere. But one day, one day...

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Beautiful.

My next bike will for sure be an S1000RR... but only after I can ride my CBR1kRR at 10/10ths.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

That's like saying a 65 chevelle is faster than a Porsche 918! It's not an apples to apples comparison. This thing would spank a hayabusa on a track with you know turns and such

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cyanide357:
Oh how I love the BMW motorcycles!

I would really love to get some saddle time on a R1200GS(A), S1000R, and S1000RR.

But I just couldn't bring myself to go with them with the closest dealer around being 100 miles away.

Glad to see that they are continuing to refine the platform though!

In the mean time I'll continue to enjoy my Yamaha Super Tenere. But one day, one day...[/QUOTE

You really need to go test drive one, I try both the S1000R and the double R , end up took the single R home

The riding position on the RR is not for my old age anymore, after a year with the single R , I am happy that I made that choice.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
It even comes with training wheels!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
On Carbon fiber wheels....

They are very brittle.
I have seen more than one wheel fail with an off at the track. Or just plain hard riding...

Aftermarket ones are available for any bike.

I will stick to forged magnesium, thank you.

In other news, Bimota has a supercharged Ducati Diavel engine is this new 192 hp model....

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool looking bike but I'd take any of the big four 1+ liter bikes at a fraction of the price. There is so much bang for the buck in that class of Japanese bike that it makes it very hard for me to look beyond them. Actually at 59 years old I don't even consider that class of bike anymoreBig Grin

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post