SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are you an expert at?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you an expert at? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am pretty good at analyzing why the Seattle Mariners have not made the playoffs for more than 20 years. Razz

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19181 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Master at none, but motorcycles, inboard ski boats, boating in general, and paddlecraft, skating, cycling and bicycle repair, water skiing, sailing, sports in general, mechanics in general, automotive electrical, firearms, reloading, maybe cooking. Know enough about psychology and human nature to be able to weed out the phonies, but nobody is perfect.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
When I was a teenager I figured out the Prisoner's Solitare puzzle (the one that looks like a plus sign), and the Rubik's cube. Used to be good at meditating rather than imbibing. Sudoku can take a while but is usually done correctly.

A good portion of my life was concerned with being more or most expert on understanding and living according to the message of Moses, or Jesus, or Buddha, or Lao Tzu, or Muhammed, or Guru Nanak, or Krishna, or Zoaraster, or Schrodinger. Now I just try to be as respectful as possible. And do my job with expertise.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an absolute expert at losing flies to trees, bushes, rocks and tall grass while fly fishing.

Posts: 634 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Magic in general, and vanishing acts in particular.

Look closely and you will see, with your very own eyes, these very basic, very simple, takedown pin spring detents....ALA-KAZAAM! Gone!

Seriously...it's some David Blaine level shit.

Also reaching apprentice level on 10mm sockets.

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I know a whole whole lot, and yet... don't know shit.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I’m an expert at turning ammo into noise

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sooma:
I'm an absolute expert at losing flies to trees, bushes, rocks and tall grass while fly fishing.

Gotta wet a line to catch a fish.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I was once designated as an t witness on firearms in court.....because I knew more than anyone in the room regarding guns....

But I know a little bit about a lot.....

I can skin a buck and run a trot line....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
...and a country boy can survive...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I know a whole bunch about how banks, insurance companies, and brokerage houses make money... I guess that makes me a financial "expert"

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
And for you nerds in the crowd:

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I used to be an expert at a lot of things, but age and wisdom have taught me that I wasn't an expert at anything. Decent, perhaps, at a few things, but not an expert. Now I'm content with watching the real experts do their thing.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
When eating a burger and fries I can consume the perfect ration of burger bites to fries eaten such that I run out of both at the same time.

It's not as easy as you think.

Doing this at Red Robin is dangerous.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Waiting. World class expert. I'm all done waiting HOURS before most people even get started!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
See? I told you he'd take the bait.

You owe me twenty bucks, dude.

Some people are SO predictable! Big Grin
I figured there'd be a long post about his expertise in yachting, captinin', nuclear physics, airplane maintenance, dead stick landings, condo building, and the scientific phenomena of diverting hurricane tracks. Razz

Checks in the mail!

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

See? I told you he'd take the bait.

You owe me twenty bucks, dude.
Checks in the mail!
You can pay me using the new currency of the realm: toilet paper.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should define “Expert” before going further.

It would appear that many are going on the idea that an expert knows EVERYTHING about a particular subject. It is gratifying to see that none are so full of themselves that they have honestly taken on the title here.

A different definition might be that -

An EXPERT is the one CURRENTLY on the scene that knows the most about the subject at hand.

As most here realize, there will always be someone that knows more than I do on an issue and there will always be someone that knows less.

So at times, WE are the expert. At other times we are the one that does the digging.

If we go by this new definition, we might end up giving ourselves a little more credit, which is where I think the OP was headed.

So, as for being an expert, I was given that title on a recent “Mission trip” to New Bern, NC. As part of a group of volunteers we went there for a week to help repair houses damaged or flooded from one of the recent storms. I was the Crew chief because I knew more about construction, electrical work and plumbing than anyone else. Until we got there. Then our local expert was my guide. Sharing ideas we came to an agreed solution and, impressively, an amazing amount of work got done that week.

Good times, I recommend it.

I guess the title “Expert” should be considered a tenuous one. It may be yours for a long time or for a very short time. In my mind it should be given you by someone else, not declared by yourself. (It not being wise to put yourself on a pedestal).

The sage on the stage will step down now.....

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
It would appear that many are going on the idea that an expert knows EVERYTHING about a particular subject.

Tell me class...does anyone know what we call someone who knows EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING?

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post